kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, these are fine Thursday previews in a vacuum; still bigger than IF's. They're just not what the more bullish tracking comps indicated. Honestly not much reason to think it won't have legs, and there are all kinds of external circumstances to explain why the Thursday number isn't bigger.

I'm willing to bet that the Thursday preview number would've been higher if the film had a 100% PLF footprint. 

While the film was showing in PLFs (mainly Dolby and 3D), it didn't take away all the IMAX screens. Megalopolis is commanding a good amount of those screens that would've gone to The Wild Robot. I think even Deadline said that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is still showing on some late-night PLFs. 

Had The Wild Robot took all the IMAX screens, the Thursday preview number probably would've been somewhere between $2M-$2.5M. Still, this isn't the kind of movie that you see on Thursday night. 

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't understand people when they say that a kids' movie making almost $2M in Thursday previews in September is bad. I just don't. 

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree that talking animals are pretty popular with kids.

In my case, I've more doubts about the robot being appealing for kids. The design seems boring.

I thought it looked beautiful…

But kids do like stuff like Cocomelon, Paw Patrol, and Bluey. Maybe animation that’s not very traditional doesn’t quite grab their attention the same way or isn’t really appreciated the way it is by adults/animation fans.

• Like 1

Maybe but I think Wild Robot got the appropriate allocation. Clearly Devara was very lucrative and Beetlejuice is also a PLF draw. I didn't really see any XD screenings filled to the brim for TWR last night.

If it weren't for that damn Helene maybe it could've gotten to $2m+ though.

Edited by AniNate

Substance did solid midweek numbers. Hopefully it's holding on to screens this weekend. Anyone know its screen count this weekend? 

Edit: 

1,712  screens, down 237 from last week's 1,949  

Domestic Box Office $5,058,960 Details
International Box Office $2,470,451 Details
Worldwide Box Office $7,529,411

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

So happy to see this film have a good week. I wish this could hit $10M but it will probably get cut by theaters this weekend

It lost 237 screens this weekend. Those are probably places where it was flopping super hard so it shouldn't affect the box office too much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I don't consider Wild Robot the typical talking animal movie.

One could easily assume the animals don't talk based on the trailers.

This is true. The designs for Wild Robot make its pretty atypical about that aspect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The animals literally talk in the trailer…I feel like I’m being gaslit lol

• Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Substance did solid midweek numbers. Hopefully it's holding on to screens this weekend. Anyone know its screen count this weekend? 

Edit: 

It has gained A LOT of traction on TikTok (internationally). It will definitely see some increases this weekend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

1. Transformers One wasn't hurt by The Wild Robot because no one seemed to be waiting anxiously for that one, either.

2. The Wild Robot will have legs Transformers One didn't.

Transformers One did $29.8M after an $838K Thursday. 

-26.6% from Wednesday...

Edited by efialtes76
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Edit: 

Wow! That’s fantastic.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1st trailer

That’s why studios release more than one trailer, as well as various ads. Plus the cast doing promo to promote the talking animal film. They didn’t hire Pedro Pascal and Catherine O’Hara to bark and quack.

25 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The second trailer is full of the animals talking