Neo

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle | Nov 29 2018 (LA, NY), Dec 7 (Netflix) | Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch & Naomie Harris confirmed

Just now, Rorschach said:

I will say, I did like it more than Outlaw King. Don't know if that's really a high remark but that's how I feel tbh.

Same, although I had the same problems in terms of liking the first half and not the second. 

Curious as to what the budget is. The effects are alright, some look poor but some look real good and expensive. This definitely woulda bombed in theatres though, with a Pan-like opening maybe slightly better legs --> 42 domestic, 130 worldwide ish

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Same, although I had the same problems in terms of liking the first half and not the second. 

Curious as to what the budget is. The effects are alright, some look poor but some look real good and expensive. This definitely woulda bombed in theatres though, with a Pan-like opening maybe slightly better legs --> 42 domestic, 130 worldwide ish

http://screencrush.com/netflix-serkis-mowgli/

Apparently, the production budget was around $100 million, which was surprising to me. I definitely thought it would've been higher.

Hell, Outlaw King cost $120 million to make, which surprises me even more. It would've been interesting to see how both films would've fared at the box office had they been released in theaters.

• Like 1

Now that I’ve had more time to formulate my thoughts on this movie, I have to say that it felt like a good 20 minutes was missing. The pacing in the second half was kind of rushed. The film seemed like it was in a particular hurry to get to the climax. I’m all for short movies, but a movie like this could’ve definitely benefited from being longer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

http://screencrush.com/netflix-serkis-mowgli/

Apparently, the production budget was around $100 million, which was surprising to me. I definitely thought it would've been higher.

Hell, Outlaw King cost $120 million to make, which surprises me even more. It would've been interesting to see how both films would've fared at the box office had they been released in theaters.

That's just a Screencrush guess of the vicinity.  No budget is mentioned in the Deadline article.  With that amount of VFX and a 3 year plus schedule my guess is that vicinity is off by at least $50 if not $100m.  WB's Tarzan had a $180m budget.

this will clearly be its biggest acquisition to date, a full-fledged CGI spectacular with a budget that has to be in the vicinity of $100 million.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lake said:

Why are Netflix Original movies' CGI usually so ... under-par? Do they work with the same studios all the time or are the good houses all booked or something?

That may be but this is on WB.  

Netflix bought this off WB just months before WB was scheduled to release it after 3-4 years of working on it and it being delayed for 2 years.

It definitely had a big screen feel to the film. Same couldn’t be said for the last Cloverfieled which also shifted to streaming.  Cinematography and FX were largely on point. Much of the money was on the screen. 

Quality was a different matter. Took me two days to watch because I fell asleep. Wise to move this to Netflix.  

One scene in particular just absolutely stuck with me... and still bothers me a week after watching it. Anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about. Not that the scene itself was bad, but it was just disturbing and damn sad (also didn't think it got enough closure but whatever).

If this had been a theatrical release, there would be so much controversy around it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

One scene in particular just absolutely stuck with me... and still bothers me a week after watching it. Anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about. Not that the scene itself was bad, but it was just disturbing and damn sad (also didn't think it got enough closure but whatever).

If this had been a theatrical release, there would be so much controversy around it. 

Yeah I felt the same way. The entire second half of the film as a whole just felt so rushed compared to the first half that I honestly didn't really care/have any sense of emotion when that scene happened, even though, on paper, it is dark and quite saddening. 

• Like 1