Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That's the whole point of the New Mutants imho - a side team where they can focus more on their individual lives and teen drama rather than the whole mythos of the X-Men, so let's hope that indeed happens.

Yep. that is why this indeed sounds like it could be my shit. Quality teen drama is always a win

• Like 2

21 hours ago, John Marston said:

Yeah but in the end it will be a standard blockbuster 

We'll see. Boone is good at doing teen drama and this has the 500 Days of Summer/Fault in Our Stars writing team so it has potential to buck the norms of standard superhero fare. Especially considering they are going for a teen horror-esque tone for this that hasn't been done before.

17 hours ago, jandrew said:

I'm with Coolio, I don't read comics. What even is this? Someone explain the New Mutants to me. Why are they new?

Apparently this was one of Marvel's highest selling books in the 80's and was so popular at the time that it partly inspired the creation of TMNT (the "Teenage Mutant" part at least :P). It's a junior team of students studying at Xavier's ("New" as in "Younger") who haven't been graduated to X-Men level yet but have their own side adventures without adult supervision, usually. The stories also tended to have more horror elements and did a much better job at depicting the coming of age experience than regular X-Men comics.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Panda said:

If it's not rated R, I'm not interested.  That's apparently the only way you can make a good superhero movie these days.

Things aren't just black and white, Panda. 

:insane:

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, The Panda said:

If it's not rated R, I'm not interested.  That's apparently the only way you can make a good superhero movie these days.

It's not the rating that allowed Logan (and I guess for you and many others Deadpool) enjoyable. it's fox allowing the filmmakers to truly make the movie that they want to make. I applaud Fox for having the faith in Miller and Mangold and hope they keep it off because it has obviously paid off

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's not the rating that allowed Logan (and I guess for you and many others Deadpool) enjoyable. it's fox allowing the filmmakers to truly make the movie that they want to make. I applaud Fox for having the faith in Miller and Mangold and hope they keep it off because it has obviously paid off

51 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The material for this one seems perfect for PG-13.

I don't think you guys got the joke.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Marvel fan, so obviously the fan in me says the more (quality films) the better, but box office wise, I think it's pretty stupid to release this smack dab in the middle of Black Panther, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2. With 6 films based on Marvel properties in a year, 5 of which in a 6 month span, just spells disaster. I hope I'm wrong though. I just see casual fans getting burnt out from that many in that amount of time. I've scoffed at the "superhero fatigue" claims, and the box office has backed that up so far, but 6 films in a year, may finally be the beginning of that, as much as I hate to admit :(