Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

Considering how everybody both in the industry and outside of it seemed to regard Dark Phoenix as "the last X-Men movie" I don't think its beyond reason to speculate that this movie might simply never come out at all... Disney might consider it a sunk cost and just let it rot on a shelf somewhere.... especially if everyone considers Dark Phoenix to be the sad end of the Fox era for X-Men. 

And Iger's quarterly report to Disney stockholders states the Disney will lose at least 130 MIllion on Dark Phoenix.

That puts the nails in the coffin of Disney spending any more money on NM. In fact, only way they might release it to theaters is because they have to for contractual obligation reasons.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And Iger's quarterly report to Disney stockholders states the Disney will lose at least 130 MIllion on Dark Phoenix.

That puts the nails in the coffin of Disney spending any more money on NM. In fact, only way they might release it to theaters is because they have to for contractual obligation reasons.

Disney knew Solo would flop too, and spent millions more

The funny thing is that New Mutants is much less expensive than Dark Phoenix and there's a chance the movie performs well if compared to the other.

The lack of reshoots will also help it in that regard. Just release the damn thing. It probably has a 50 million budget.

20 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The funny thing is that New Mutants is much less expensive than Dark Phoenix and there's a chance the movie performs well if compared to the other.

The lack of reshoots will also help it in that regard. Just release the damn thing. It probably has a 50 million budget.

The low budget, though, is what makes NM expendable.

Even if Disney went with a minimal cost approach to a NM relase, you are talking about adding 30 Millioo at least to the cost. It is very expensive to release and market a film.

NM budget is low enough so that Disney might well not release it to save the major costs of distribution and Marketing. They could then release it as a "Big Special Event" on Disney Plus.

And that the film by all accounts is a total mess does not help matters.

The abilty of the NM stans to ignore reality is truly remarkable.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

As if one couldn't smell the tea leaves already... 20th Century Fox is essentially turning into a streaming label, with a few theatrical releases a year.  I'll be very surprised if New Mutants is not one of these first out of the gate to Hulu. 

"Sources say the 20th Century Fox silo could make 10 or more movies a year, with half or more headed directly for Disney's new streaming service or Hulu, now controlled by Disney."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-sets-course-pared-down-20th-century-fox-170m-loss-1229848

How is Disney losing 130M on DP? Didn't Fox finance it and Disney simply distributed it? Not sure how financials work like that with a major acquisition like this, but I would have thought the purchase of Fox would have included all finished/semi-finished products, and everything those products make are just printed $ for Disney.

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

How is Disney losing 130M on DP? Didn't Fox finance it and Disney simply distributed it? Not sure how financials work like that with a major acquisition like this, but I would have thought the purchase of Fox would have included all finished/semi-finished products, and everything those products make are just printed $ for Disney.

It seems that whatever losses Fox would’ve had if they remained independent are now Disney’s. Same with profit. Fox was in the red on Dark Phoenix and Fox = Disney now.  

• Like 2

This IndieWire article about Iger's statements is a good example of how everyone reporting on this seems to regard Dark Phoenix as "the last" X-Men movie Fox did. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/dark-phoenix-flop-loses-disney-170-million-fox-1202163930/

This line is also interesting...

Iger said that it will take at least a year or more for the effects of Disney’s ownership of Fox to be felt in the latter’s releases. The CEO reconfirmed that all of Fox’s superhero brands, including X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool, are now under the control of Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige.

Does anyone else here see Feige going to the effort to finish New Mutants for anyone, on any platform? I don't think this movie is ever coming out... It's going to be the answer to a trivia question and that's it... 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1

Why would they face any lawsuits? They own the property, they own the studio, they own it all.... It's already a loss. I wouldn't be surprised if the 170mil they're claiming isn't just Dark Phoenix. It 's just as possible that total includes the costs incurred by canceling New Mutants, too....

Feige would now have to be in charge of finishing the movie, and I just don't see that guy deciding to introduce mutants to Disney via a horror-movie version of New Mutants. It doesn't seem to me like he would want THAT version of Cannonball or Magik to be HIS versions....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

Movie's production budget gets financed through debt, Studio A acquires Studio B, picking up those existing debt obligations in the process.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Macleod said:

As if one couldn't smell the tea leaves already... 20th Century Fox is essentially turning into a streaming label, with a few theatrical releases a year.  I'll be very surprised if New Mutants is not one of these first out of the gate to Hulu. 

"Sources say the 20th Century Fox silo could make 10 or more movies a year, with half or more headed directly for Disney's new streaming service or Hulu, now controlled by Disney."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-sets-course-pared-down-20th-century-fox-170m-loss-1229848

I suspect it would go to Disney Plus rather then Hulu, simply because Disney Plus is where Disney is putting all it's Marvel stuff.

There are stories that Disney has a contractual oblgation, inherited from Fox, for a threatrical release of NM.If so, it is going to be dumped, with as little spent on it as possible.

I still don't understand why they'd have a contractual obligation, or who they'd owe the obligation to... They own the studio, the property, and the film...  Everything about it is theirs now.... They don't have to do anything they don't want to. I can understand them needing to pay out to producers and directors in the event of the film not being released, and I can envision them deciding to pay whatever penalties their might be, and including that in the write-down Iger just announced... But I don't see Disney buying 20th Century Fox and then having their hands tied as to what they can release and when. They had no problems terminating contracts of high level executives when they took over, I don't see why they'd have a problem killing The New Mutants either... If they can wipe out entire film divisions and whatever contracts were active at those film divisions, they can decide they don't want to release this...

And the movie is supposed to be a full-blown horror movie. PG-13 or not, they're not putting a horror film on Disney Plus... It would go to Hulu if it went anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horner said:

Movie's production budget gets financed through debt, Studio A acquires Studio B, picking up those existing debt obligations in the process.

Exactly. Studios finance their  film production schedules through bank loans. Been that way since the silent era.When Disney acquired Fox, it picked up Fox's debts.

Amazed the people on a box office site did not know this, but I noticied a lot of people here don't understand how the fiim industry operates.

In the end, the studios are playing on somebody elses dime, And they pay for it; either through Interest rates on the loan or taking a percentage of the profits, depending on how the bank feels about a studios' record at the box office. If  you have good record, you get the percentage of the profits deal.if you record is not so good, you get the interest rates.