Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

You paying for the P&A?

Fox had more than a year to release it, or do re-shoots, they did neither.   It's Fox's fuck-up.

According to deadline, Scary Stories cost north of $20m with P&A. 

"CBS Films typically is very thrifty and targeted in its P&A spend, especially for horror films. However, we hear they’ve spent plenty in this case on the PG-13 horror pic produced and co-written by Guillermo del Toro — significantly north of $20M. 

The movie did $20m only in OW.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Litio said:

According to deadline, Scary Stories cost north of $20m with P&A. 

"CBS Films typically is very thrifty and targeted in its P&A spend, especially for horror films. However, we hear they’ve spent plenty in this case on the PG-13 horror pic produced and co-written by Guillermo del Toro — significantly north of $20M. 

The movie did $20m only in OW.

If New Mutants were to open to $20m, it would be a monumental embarrassment for the House or Mouse.

Disney risks more losses by releasing this. Cut your losses, send to D+. No reshoots. No marketing. Give it the good ol Cloverfield Paradox. It’s the only logical outcome.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If New Mutants were to open to $20m, it would be a monumental embarrassment for the House or Mouse.

It's a example showing P&A doesn't need to be very expensive.

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Disney risks more losses by releasing this. Cut your losses, send to D+. No reshoots. No marketing. Give it the good ol Cloverfield Paradox. It’s the only logical outcome.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Disney had way more ""financial risks"" by releasing Stuber and The Art of Racing in The Rain in theaters than a New Mutants movie.

Edited by Litio
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, imbruglia said:

Disney is optimistic that handing Fox superhero properties such as “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men” to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will improve the quality of these movies, but bumps must be smoothed over in that transition. The studio is unimpressed with “New Mutants,” an “X-Men” spinoff with a haunted-house vibe, and believes it has limited box office potential.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/fox-disney-earnings-dark-phoenix-stuber-racing-in-the-rain-1203300260/

So... reshoots are happening any day now.

3 hours ago, Litio said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Disney had way more ""financial risks"" by releasing Stuber and The Art of Racing in The Rain in theaters than a New Mutants movie.

Wrong

The problem is, GA dowa not follow behind-the-scene news, FOX buy is already old news since the first announcement, people wont separate = damage to the reputation at a part of the GA.

Add to that, the 'final' situation AEG caused (and helped for a possibility to change away from certain structured, maybe), the amount of not known characters, and worlds to introduced as the main count per year (during the last build up its was known characters e.g. 2 movies, a new one also = the new one gets carried a bit per the known character's hype), the only known title with a character already announced (I mean release dates) being a prequel...

= that's already certain parts of  the GA will see as a fall of the heights, as those will earn way less per year money for the MCU as the last 2 years, logic is one thing, but GA has no reason to read up on the whys,....

It's the contrast that could get seen as a decline or whatever.

No need to add any possible damage, even if that 'its damaged' gut reaction of a part of the GA would be something not based on logic.

Long as I am not sure how to word what I want to convey in English

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Wrong

The problem is, GA dowa not follow behind-the-scene news, FOX buy is already old news since the first announcement, people wont separate = damage to the reputation at a part of the GA.

Add to that, the 'final' situation AEG caused (and helped for a possibility to change away from certain structured, maybe), the amount of not known characters, and worlds to introduced as the main count per year (during the last build up its was known characters e.g. 2 movies, a new one also = the new one gets carried a bit per the known character's hype), the only known title with a character already announced (I mean release dates) being a prequel...

= that's already certain parts of  the GA will see as a fall of the heights, as those will earn way less per year money for the MCU as the last 2 years, logic is one thing, but GA has no reason to read up on the whys,....

It's the contrast that could get seen as a decline or whatever.

No need to add any possible damage, even if that 'its damaged' gut reaction of a part of the GA would be something not based on logic.

Long as I am not sure how to word what I want to convey in English

Nobody goes to theaters to watch a dark horror movie from Fox expecting a typical happy and colourful Disney movie. Maybe I am underestimating GA's dumbness, but I believe NM will have zero effect in MCU and Disney's reputation to GA.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Litio said:

Nobody goes to theaters to watch a dark horror movie from Fox expecting a typical happy and colourful Disney movie. Maybe I am underestimating GA's dumbness, but I believe NM will have zero effect in MCU and Disney's reputation to GA.

GA did not know X-Men isn't Marvel Studios, in part does not know about every character who is DC and who is Marvel based and so on.

It has nothing to do with dumbness, it has to do with being not such ueberfans that they'll read up nor are watching those CBMs bcs they ever read comics.

The part of the population that goes a few times a year into a cinema is still the majority of the paying audience, they have enough to do in their day-to-day live to not being interested into additional details.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

GA did not know X-Men isn't Marvel Studios, in part does not know about every character who is DC and who is Marvel based and so on.

It has nothing to do with dumbness, it has to do with being not such ueberfans that they'll read up nor are watching those CBMs bcs they ever read comics.

The part of the population that goes a few times a year into a cinema is still the majority of the paying audience, they have enough to do in their day-to-day live to not being interested into additional details.

This is something I'd be curious to see actually - whether the general audience actually still make up much of the ticket sales. I strongly suspect that a bigger portion of the audience is fans than GA when it comes to a lot of superhero films & other franchise films.  That could also explain failures such as Dark Phoenix, because actually most of the people who saw the x-men films are clued up on it.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Trailers show different logos to a Disney and a Fox movie. X-Men never showed up in MCU's team movies and even the tone is different. If GA thought X-Men was part of MCU, Dark Phoenix would have a way better box office, I suppose.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Avatree said:

This is something I'd be curious to see actually - whether the general audience actually still make up much of the ticket sales. I strongly suspect that a bigger portion of the audience is fans than GA when it comes to a lot of superhero films & other franchise films.  That could also explain failures such as Dark Phoenix, because actually most of the people who saw the x-men films are clued up on it.

For movies doing only lets say Dark Phoenix numbers - their part I think is by a very large margin less than for a dom $200m+ movie

Its the same in a way with the special interest, indies,... people interested into that in general might be aware about it getting released, but usual will decide after having a feel for if its good enough or,....

But for the reputation of a franchise a member of the GA must not have seen a movie to get a wrong impression, the little new titbit here and there can lessen interest too. Worst: bad impression per trailer that can sit for quite a while in someone's brain

The part who is into X-Men... I think they are already aware about the last few FOX movies were made with as less effort as possible, as the sale already loomed (not to whom they'll sell, but that they will sell). I mean after the production effort, the original budget of Dark Phoenix acc wiki is insane in every case.

I think especially in OS the lines blur more, its not part of the news, way less promotion locally per involved cast and crew....

For now GA has the idea to go to the cinema, lets look what is running... ahhh an MCU is running, that's something for the whole family (if the children are not too small)

The moment that sureness is missing, the moment its, we have to check if its appropriate or whatever lets people pause, you'll loose a part of the potential audience.

If the movie would be really good, and they'd see a possibility to promote it without loosing the franchise reputation (e.g. family movies), and.... I think they'd have already released it.

Horror is in in a way, but I am not sure about a CBM 'too' focused on horror appeals to all horror fans, nor to all CBM, if the quality is also in doubt,...

They'd sent a signal that might hinder future other projects, also aiming at horror parts, see e.g. DS 2 or....

Or they think its adding to the time till they can include mutants into the MCU, too time-near is another thing best to avoid.

A mix of all of that, I might do it myself

Edited by terrestrial

19 minutes ago, Litio said:

Trailers show different logos to a Disney and a Fox movie. X-Men never showed up in MCU's team movies and even the tone is different. If GA thought X-Men was part of MCU, Dark Phoenix would have a way better box office, I suppose.

Logos do not interest GA

You really should read through past per movies threads, repeatedly people tell there about experiences people not knowing

As GotG got released I had it to explain quite often myself, even to CBM fans. only as an example.

Part 1 of a new character not always had contact to the others....

Till shortly before Endgame I had to explain to people which movies also belong to the MCU, not only the Avenger movies or them plus the IM movies...

Litio I can tell by your avatar you are not going to be entirely objective with this property.

New Mutants is an unfinished film that’s been sitting on the shelf for two years that two different distributors have delayed numerous times, with no reshoots on the horizon, coming off of Dark Phoenix, a monumental critical and commercial disappointment (one of the biggest flops in history). It has no marketable stars. It’s in a genre (horror) that Disney tends to avoid because it’s not family friendly.

See this project for what it is. A sunk cost. Disney can see it for what it is. This has nothing to do with “does the audience know it’s MCU or not”

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, cookie said:

This wrapped nearly two years ago and reshoots still haven't happened yet. Hobbs & Shaw was announced, written, shot, edited and released in that timeframe.

Heck, A Rainy Day in New York (that shelved Woody Allen movie Timothee Chalamet made right before Call Me by Your Name/Lady Bird were released and after this had wrapped) is looking to finally see the light of day somewhere in the world before this will. :lol:

Edited by filmlover

22 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Screw Disney,  just release it

ANohter guy who does not get how much it costs to put  a film n General Release. Hint: for a low budget film, it can cost a lot more then the cost of the film itself.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Litio I can tell by your avatar you are not going to be entirely objective with this property.

New Mutants is an unfinished film that’s been sitting on the shelf for two years that two different distributors have delayed numerous times, with no reshoots on the horizon, coming off of Dark Phoenix, a monumental critical and commercial disappointment (one of the biggest flops in history). It has no marketable stars. It’s in a genre (horror) that Disney tends to avoid because it’s not family friendly.

See this project for what it is. A sunk cost. Disney can see it for what it is. This has nothing to do with “does the audience know it’s MCU or not”

Fox could see it for what it was also' that is why they stuck it on the shelf for two years. That is two studios that have decided NM is a total mess.

I think signs are that with all the Fox labels, Disney is going to get back into the non family friendly film business (even before the Fox deal Iger had .according ot reports, decided to revive one of Disney Dormant labels (Hollywood Films,Dimension) to grab a share of the lucrative R rated low budget film market without damaging the Disney Family Friendly label) but why use a badly made horror film to get back into the market? Until the early 2000's Disney Dimension label  specialized in horror movies.

It was Fox's Fuck Up as someone said, but it's Disney Problem now;Disney is the one who took over having to repay the loans it took of finance this thing. Don't think they are anxious to add to the amount they owe.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

ANohter guy who does not get how much it costs to put  a film n General Release. Hint: for a low budget film, it can cost a lot more then the cost of the film itself.

They bought Fox show them respect instead of ruining their legacy. A 25m ad spend is nothing to Disney,  it's the craft service budget of a marvel film. They kicked Lucas out after buying Lucasfilm,  so i should have knew Disney does not care about legacy. 

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1