Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

Litio has been shilling for this film since she (I'm assuming) first joined in March '18.

From then:

People comparing the delay of this movie with Rings, Amityville, Monster Trucks and Pan ... Lol. 
Unlike these, X-men has many fans. The potential of this movie is great. And they're delaying the film in 16 months for reshoot. There's enough time to make a whole new movie. I'm sure Fox learned with Fantastic Four's failure and Logan's success. IMO NM's delay is because they want a movie better than a mediocrity.

Here we are, 16 months after the 16 month delay for reshoots that never happened and never will. And the 16 month emphasis in the quote was Litio's, not mine.

The potential is great. Sure.

Litio will take this narrative to her grave.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, AJG said:     

So? There's no indication that they'll use Marvel Studios branding on the movie. Literally nobody would know.         

Even if your suggestion proved accurate, and I don't think it would... why would they spend the money to lose even more money on a bad movie that has no spot in their future plans and can only reflect poorly on their current situation if they didn't have to? 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Avatree said:

If they don't believe they will see a return on $25 million extra spent on this film, then it would make business sense to just not release it - or rather, just stick it on Disney+ (which genuinely doesn't have distribution costs and can choose to spend no marketing)

Actually I keep hearing 30 Million as the absolute minimum it costs for a wide threatrical distribution of the film. And that is assuming you spend next to nothing on advertsing. Just the distribution costs for a film are enormous.

People just don't realise how expensive it is just to release a film.

I think it they do stream the film they will probably spend a little on marketing...probably bill NM as a "Extra Special Attraction" but it will only be a few million, nowhere near what they would have to fork out for a threatical release.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Litio said:

They don't need to spend as much as $25m on ads. Just turns it in a fandom event like Dragon Ball Brolly with some digital marketing and they can get return.

Not true.

According to Deadline, Fox spent $51m on P&A WW for Paper Towns,

Universal spent $44m for Unfriended, 

Sony + Focus spent $44m for Insidious 3 and these movies had saturated releases.

Source: https://deadline.com/2016/03/movie-profits-2015-paper-towns-insidious-chapter-3-second-best-exotic-marigold-hotel-1201725853/

God, you really don't know anything about the film business.

You are also vastly overestimating the number of hard core Fox X Men fans there are out there. 

Pretty clear you are simply refuse to think in a realistic or logical manner where this franchise is concerned. That is when fandom goes to far:When it makes you do stupid things.

2 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Universal just shelved a completely finished movie because the president tweeted about it a bunch... yet it's somehow impossible for people to believe Disney.... who is almost singelhandedly propping the entire industry up on the back of its record profits.... might shelve an X-Men spinoff that isn't even finished and would cost them likely another 10-20 million just to dribble out on their streaming service, and more if they wanted it to go out theatrically?

The director isn't available... The stars aren't available.... Nothing is scheduled.... and the people in charge of the property don't like what they have... 

Why SHOULD this come out? IF it does, it will be announced as Disney and Marvel Studio's first X-Men movie... and it's guaranteed to suck... and to lose money... Why would anyone want this scenario to become reality? 

DId'nt Warners basically make the Andy Serkis directed version of the Jungle Book into a streaming service/DTV movie despite nearly a 100 Million dollar price tag?

Too bad, I was interested in a version of the Jungle Book that was faithful to the original Kipling stories, which the Disney version, whatever it's virtues,is not.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

DId'nt Warners basically make the Andy Serkis directed version of the Jungle Book into a streaming service/DTV movie despite nearly a 100 Million dollar price tag?

Too bad, I was interested in a version of the Jungle Book that was faithful to the original Kipling stories, which the Disney version, whatever it's virtues,is not.

I haven't thought about that film in months. I remember it being boring.

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Litio has been shilling for this film since she (I'm assuming) first joined in March '18.

From then:

Here we are, 16 months after the 16 month delay for reshoots that never happened and never will. And the 16 month emphasis in the quote was Litio's, not mine.

The potential is great. Sure.

Litio will take this narrative to her grave.

THIS.

Yes, the idea of a horror centered X Men movie had great potential. But then lots of movies that have great potential end up being disasters.

She also kept telling us what a great movie and huge hit "Dark Phoenix" was going to be despite all the warning signs to the contrary.

It's not about the potential, it's about what you actually see on the screen. Execution is everything. 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Then...
1 - Disney should release the unfinished movie at Disney +, just like Disney + is some kind of movies' trash can

Or 

2 - Disney should burn the movie and ignore all the investment that Fox had in it, although even the incompetent Paramount wasn't so irresponsable like that when they got $40m for Cloverfield 3's sale.

Hmmm 

Edited by Litio

1 hour ago, Litio said:

1 - Disney should release the unfinished movie at Disney +, just like Disney + is some kind of movies' trash can

Disney+ is the future. Dread it. Run from it. Disney+ arrives all the same.

You need to look at it this way: New Mutants would likely be an early flagship original title for the service. That's better than getting lost in the cinema and further degrading the brand.

More people will watch it on a premium streaming service than would pay $10 to drive to see it somewhere with crying children.

8 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Disney+ is the future. Dread it. Run from it. Disney+ arrives all the same.

You need to look at it this way: New Mutants would likely be an early flagship original title for the service. That's better than getting lost in the cinema and further degrading the brand.

More people will watch it on a premium streaming service than would pay $10 to drive to see it somewhere with crying children.

Are you telling me that in order to prevent New Mutants from degrading the brand, Disney should release the unfinished movie on their widely appealing streaming service? Just like: Hey, guys, come see this unfinished movie on our big $ 6.99 streaming platform.

?

2 hours ago, Litio said:

Are you telling me that in order to prevent New Mutants from degrading the brand, Disney should release the unfinished movie on their widely appealing streaming service? Just like: Hey, guys, come see this unfinished movie on our big $ 6.99 streaming platform.

?

YES.

Although obviously Disney won’t market it as unfinished.

I’m not sure why you have difficulty grasping this concept.

So, is this movie complete or not? I get the idea that the whole thing was filmed, but Disney isn't impressed.

Reshoots could be necessary, but the whole thing was filmed almost 2 years ago and the actors are obviously 2 years older now. So, there won't be reshoots.

Just release the damn thing for some streaming service, then. 

49 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, is this movie complete or not? I get the idea that the whole thing was filmed, but Disney isn't impressed.

Reshoots could be necessary, but the whole thing was filmed almost 2 years ago and the actors are obviously 2 years older now. So, there won't be reshoots.

Acc to all I've read (not counting blogs and such) its not finished, not even if they wouldn't aim to change the result.

To change was a decision at FOX already.

Its only filmed seemingly till the first 'Its a wrap', means no typical re-shots (that all movies nowadays get), no CGI after that phase and so on.

The majority of people needed for the reshots (FOX spoke of 50% if the movie) is involved in other projects, till all can get shovelled free it might take some time, if they really want to finish it.

6 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Movie is complete, but it's pretty bad, and needs extensive and expensive reshoots ,even in the opinion of the director. And even thin reshoots might not save it.

But ,after what happened with Dark Phoenix, Disney is in no mood to spend a lot of money in what seems to be a doomed attempt to save a film that just plain did not turn out very well.

You have to know when to cut your losses and not add to the red ink in a desperate attempt to save something which is probably unsavable.

And that NM cost only around 40 to 50 Million acutually works against it here. It's disposable. DP because it's price tag was,  even before the massive reshoots, so high (150 Millon) was not.You can shrug off a 40 Million dollar loss but 150 Million, that you will risk spending more money to try to save.

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Acc to all I've read (not counting blogs and such) its not finished, not even if they wouldn't aim to change the result.

To change was a decision at FOX already.

Its only filmed seemingly till the first 'Its a wrap', means no typical re-shots (that all movies nowadays get), no CGI after that phase and so on.

The majority of people needed for the reshots (FOX spoke of 50% if the movie) is involved in other projects, till all can get shovelled free it might take some time, if they really want to finish it.

From what I have read the basic film exists, but almost no SFX work has been done, and even the director thinks that extensive reshoots are necessary to make it halfway releasable.

And that is a big if;massive reshoots often do not save a movie.

Whatever chances this had for having a lot of money spent on it vanaished when DP bombed. Disney will just cut there losses with this one,and see how big a tax write off they can get for it.

• Like 1