Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

Eh, I don't care to much that he doesn't look too much like the character, I'm just afraid they will try to make him a lead.  I'm not a fan of the actor fro what I've seen (granted like 3 movies).  We will see how he does on Death Note.  

Assuming its Demon Bear, leads should be Dani (hopefully they find a talented, charasmatic NA actress) and likely Magik (Anya Taylor Joy).  

It seems like Boone is a huge fan of the comics, would be nice to Sunspot be Afro-Brazilian (or a black actor).  Marvel is the one that seems to have white-washed (probably not the correct term), but he went from a black kid to a light skin Brazilian in recent comics.

There was an interview a while back during XA with McAvoy where he says an actress signed on for NM was telling him all these things about the movie (he wasn't aware).  I believe or hope that was Anya Taylor telling him about it during filming of Split. 

Edited by AaronL

I think the screen time will be pretty evenly distributed among the core five, with Magik maybe getting the edge.

Regarding Anya Taylor-Joy, she was asked about it a couple of months back and she didn't try denying it, interestingly enough, so chances look good.

I think the world is really fascinating. I'd love to be a part of it. It would be wonderful. I guess when they make decisions the world will know.

Source

• Like 1

Are Karma and Magma going to be in this film?

I hope that they tweak the story a little just so Mirage doesn't spend most of the film incapacitated in a hospital bed; I would hate if the first major First Nations character in a superhero movie is pretty much rendered useless and has to be "saved" by her mostly white teammates. Especially after Suicide Squad 's Slipknot scene, this would be a quite problematic scenario as far as I am concerned. 

On 12/2/2016 at 0:06 AM, Cochofles said:

I hope that they tweak the story a little just so Mirage doesn't spend most of the film incapacitated in a hospital bed; I would hate if the first major First Nations character in a superhero movie is pretty much rendered useless and has to be "saved" by her mostly white teammates. Especially after Suicide Squad 's Slipknot scene, this would be a quite problematic scenario as far as I am concerned. 

Unlikely, if they are probably small/cameo roles.  It's the 5 mentioned above plus apparently Warlock (which w/o Doug is eh).  Anymore than those 6 will be too many IMO.  I could do without Warlock (plus I figured him being CGI will add to the budget, unless he appears in the end?).  I figure if its a success they can do add Karma and Magma, and do Nova-Roma/Selene in the sequel.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2016 at 1:36 PM, Cochofles said:

Hope not. Josh Boone has been posting stuff like this on his Twitter

So it appears he knows the significance of the character.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

Title is X-Men: The New Mutants; Pitched as Trilogy

"We [Boone and co-writer Gwaltney] had loved Bill Sienkiewicz’s run with Chris Claremont that had Demon Bear. It was really dark, interesting, and different from the typical X-Men stories that we had read. After I made The Fault in Our Stars, we made Fox a comic book. It walked them through a trilogy of New Mutant films that would build on each other. We used this program called Comic Life, and took all the images we had loved from the series and strung them together to show them the movie we wanted to do. We brought it to Simon [Kinberg] and he really liked it.

We’ve been going for the past year and a half to get it ready, and I’m about to go location scout and we have a release date now."

• Like 3

New Mutants to film simultaneously with Apocalypse sequel in Montreal this spring?

A couple of days ago Production Weekly listed "X-Men: The New Mutants" and a second production titled "X-Men: Supernova" as filming in 2017. X-Men fanbases mused Supernova to be the X-Men in space film that was rumored to be the sequel to Apocalypse. Now this report claims that X-Men 7 may begin shooting just a month after production begins for New Mutants on the same lot.

18 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Deadpool wasn't supposed to be in this one, was he? I'm forgetting if it was this or X-Force

It's X-Force, though Deadpool made his debut in New Mutants.  Boone seems to be a huge fan of the New Mutants (pre-Liefeld), so highly unlikely he pops up here.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:31 PM, Spidey Freak said:

New Mutants to film simultaneously with Apocalypse sequel in Montreal this spring?

A couple of days ago Production Weekly listed "X-Men: The New Mutants" and a second production titled "X-Men: Supernova" as filming in 2017. X-Men fanbases mused Supernova to be the X-Men in space film that was rumored to be the sequel to Apocalypse. Now this report claims that X-Men 7 may begin shooting just a month after production begins for New Mutants on the same lot.

Fox's does have 3 marvel releases set for 2018, so it could be true.  that seems pretty risky to me though. too many superhero films in 2018. a couple of them are bound to underperform, and I don't think it will be Diseny/Marvel. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Fox's does have 3 marvel releases set for 2018, so it could be true.  that seems pretty risky to me though. too many superhero films in 2018. a couple of them are bound to underperform, and I don't think it will be Diseny/Marvel. 

Well, 2016 had quite a few, and none under performed. Hell, two overperformed

3 hours ago, robertman2 said:

Well, 2016 had quite a few, and none under performed. Hell, two overperformed

Nope, X-Men Apocalypse underperformed it grossed nearly $80m less than DOFP. I could see a direct sequel going as low as $120m, with too much overcrowding of the same genre. BvS underperformed too, not massively but it failed to meet BO expectations. and TMNT 2 if you counts that as SH.

2 hours ago, Kalo said:

Nope, X-Men Apocalypse underperformed it grossed nearly $80m less than DOFP. I could see a direct sequel going as low as $120m, with too much overcrowding of the same genre. BvS underperformed too, not massively but it failed to meet BO expectations. and TMNT 2 if you counts that as SH.

I doubt anyone counts that as SH :P And BvS didn't underperform because of "oversaturation". Apocalypse is a tricky one. While it's true it was the fourth SH film in a span of a little over 3 months, Fox also made the hilarious blunder of lifting the embargo for critics weeks before the movie release, letting the rotten score percolate and dampen the hype.

So saw a youtube video via Hashtag Show that Dani is already casted, but they still are looking for Sam, Rahne, Illyna, and Robert.  I hope Fox locked up Anya Taylor Joy, because with Split's success, success of Witch (BAFTA rising star nom, Gotham award winner), she probably could ask for a little more $$$.  

Still, with ATJ comments in the last year (seeing the Demon Bear short, almost confirming McAvoy being in the movie, etc), following/liking Josh Boone's New Mutants/Magik post on IG, it would be very odd if she wasn't signed yet.

Edited by AaronL
  • Like 1