Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

If Fox thought the film was a lost cause and spending money on reshoots was just tossing more money down the toilet, I doubt Disney management will feel any different.

I would tend to think the same.  But I could see them giving the go ahead on a limited amount of reshoots designed to wash out any connections to the X-Men that might be in there.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Until something big gets that month slot. which it will. 

Godzilla vs Kong is already on that exact date. (As is Gambit. The weekend before or afterwards would seemingly make more sense, though perhaps someone was just assuming this would take the exact place of Gambit.)

Suffice it to say it's not official. Though if it does wind up going head to head with GvK, that's surely a sign that they don't think it has a shot at big money, which we kind of already knew anyway.

4 hours ago, kitik said:

March 2020? Basically a full 2 years after the initial release date.

Two and a half after it's first trailer.  That's gotta be some kind of record for promotional window.

9 hours ago, Horner said:

I would tend to think the same.  But I could see them giving the go ahead on a limited amount of reshoots designed to wash out any connections to the X-Men that might be in there.

But being part of the X Men franchsie  is the one thing the film has going for it. Unless it's so bad Disney wants to keep the X men label unsullied.  Throw away the X Men connection, you throw away it's best selling point.

4 hours ago, kitik said:

Godzilla vs Kong is already on that exact date. (As is Gambit. The weekend before or afterwards would seemingly make more sense, though perhaps someone was just assuming this would take the exact place of Gambit.)

Suffice it to say it's not official. Though if it does wind up going head to head with GvK, that's surely a sign that they don't think it has a shot at big money, which we kind of already knew anyway.

Gambit is for all pratical purposes dead;no work has been done it for some time.

If that release date is true, given the competiton, it has "dump" written all over it.

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

This is like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four. 

Except the Corman FF was never intended to go into general release;it was made for almost nothing for the express purpose of keeping the film rights. A badly written contract did not specify a film needed to be released;it just had to be made.

New Mutants was a major production which started out with every intention of it being a major release in a successful franchise.

Huge difference.

With one the non release was intentional; the other was unintentional and a major screw up by somebody. The Corman film was just legal gimmick to keep a valuable licence.

The Corman FF did have a major impact on the way contracts are written; almost all film licences now require an actual release .

Irony is as bad as it was, the Corman FF was more faithful to the classic FF that people love then the other 3 films;all of which went for the "Ultimate" version of the FF, which was a big failure for Marvel comics. Don't ask me why Fox chose not once but 3 times to go for an unpopular version of the FF, rather the well loved classic version. The Ultimate Marvel universe did some very good stuff, but it failed badly with the FF.