Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

50 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

This was posted yesterday by the New Mutants Updates Twitter account, the person supposedly knows someone at Fox. It's been really the only source on Twitter for "news" on the film. Rumors obviously but some of it gels with what Jeff Sneider wrote last year on The Tracking Board:

We just talked with someone who worked in the movie and got some informations for what’s to come with the new reshoots plans later this year.

• 75% of the movie is being reshot.
  • Josh Boone is back directing and a early version of Knate Lee script is being used.
  • Horror elements are still a part of the movie.
  • New characters include: X-23, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Cypher and a brand new villain.
  • The budget will be bigger with more action and everything intensified.
  • Reshoots are planned for later this year (most likely this fall).
  • Demon Bear will be a lot more in the movie.

https://newmutantsup.tumblr.com/post/184720321056/exclusive-everything-about-the-new-reshoots

I hope all of this is true. But reading between the lines with the new release date, regardless of actual contracts (Sneider also said new contracts would have to be made if the film went to streaming (no longer an option ), it seems clear to me that Disney is going to have Boone do reshoots. He's on The Stand right now but I'm guessing he'll be done by the end of the year, paving the way for reshoots.

Disney could have dumped this, they're not doing so, so, I guess that means they might ACTUALLY be thinking that they can take this first entry and have it either tie into the MCU or might want to make more films. I mean, think about it. There's no foundation so to speak, this is the very first New Mutants film, we know from Jeff Sneider (if you believe the rumors) that the film was rewritten and Boone was asked to deliver a YA PG 13 version of TNM, not what he wanted to do at first. The reshoots were indeed supposedly to add more scares, essentially telling Boone he could now make the film he wanted to make from the start. 

If this rumor from New Mutants Updates is to be believed, the early draft being used would be the film Boone was supposed to make. Apparently, the film only cost 45M, which would make the idea of reshooting two thirds of the film believable, if Disney sees potential and can make it future and MCU proof.

This is a lot to digest but this delay is a great thing and if this can lead to more New Mutants down the road and a better film, then all the better for it. With the Multiverse idea, they can easily tie in films with a different vibe. 

Doesn't sound very believable. They couldn't do the reshoots in all this time because they could never get all the busy cast together, but they're also adding X-23 and Kitty Pryde, by extension Dafne Keen who will be shooting His Dark Materials for much of the second half of the year and Ellen Page who's always in something (including S2 of The Umbrella Academy)?

It sounds like fanfiction.

Edited by Ithil

Guys.....guys....let’s just agree that only making movies on the 2 most popular superheroes of all time in over 30-40 years is the most ballsiest and courageous thing a studio can do. And for art purposes of course...,.none of that money and profit nonsense....no sir

So lets agree with the troll and move on. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hades said:

Again you are right..Endless, lazy, play it safe, skybeam, funny book films will bring in the big bucks for sure.....

How are recouperating after Endgame? I suppose you’re doing well.

56 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

No, Gambit is the Duke Nukem Forever of comic book films. It’s been kicking around the release schedule for at least five years, went through three different directors without a frame being shot, and only now seems to have been put down.

Gambit is for sure in the mix when talking about comic book films long in 'active' development.

DC's Flash with Ezra Miller is also now in the "running" I'd propose. 

42 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Doesn't sound very believable. They couldn't do the reshoots in all this time because they could never get all the busy cast together, but they're also adding X-23 and Kitty Pryde, by extension Dafne Keen who will be shooting His Dark Materials for much of the second half of the year and Ellen Page who's always in something (including S2 of The Umbrella Academy)?

Who's to say Ellen Page would return? These are rumors but Dafne Keen has been rumored for a while now, so were Jon Hamm who was apparently set to appear in a post credits scene as Mr Sinister, then Banderas was rumored as someone who would take his place. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Who's to say Ellen Page would return? These are rumors but Dafne Keen has been rumored for a while now, so were Jon Hamm who was apparently set to appear in a post credits scene as Mr Sinister, then Banderas was rumored as someone who would take his place. We'll see.

Because that's who plays Kitty Pryde in the X-Men series? It's the natural assumption.

Even if the movie is horrible it can still make a good amount of $$$ if you market it well. A horror comic book movie would get a lot of people curious. You can drive enough interest for a great OW that dismal legs might be irrelevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I hope all of this is true.

Reshooting 75% of the movie and adding 5 new characters is basically a whole new movie.

If that's true, and Disney is on board, I have to wonder if this is eventually actually going to fit in with the future MCU mutants plans.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Disney’s totally rebooting everything

They will reboot into the MCU in time. This film is still a holdover from the Fox series. If you're claiming it's going to be turned into an MCU film then you're opening a whole can of other worms completely separate from those claims about the reshoots I find dubious.

57 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Kinda hard to argue against the MCU when it’s about to have the biggest grossing movie of all time. But go ahead. Take your potshots in favor of a movie that’s been through production hell before Disney ever got a hold of it. 

Hell, this movie was made before the talks of Fox being absorbed into Disney even began (those didn't start until early November that year). A part of me hopes they push this back one last time to July 10 to mark the three year anniversary of the day when it began filming and complete the cycle.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, Ithil said:

They will reboot into the MCU in time. This film is still a holdover from the Fox series. If you're claiming it's going to be turned into an MCU film then you're opening a whole can of other worms completely separate from those claims about the reshoots I find dubious.

True, but if Disney’s really willing to reshoot nearly the whole film, I can’t rule it out. There was nothing stopping them from letting it quietly flop in August if they just contractually had to release it, but this shows that they’re adding a level of care into it.

4 hours ago, Ithil said:

After what happened with "Solo" I doubt Disney is in the mood  to basically reshoot most of a movie.

Yeah the sound like pure BS to me.

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Gambit is for sure in the mix when talking about comic book films long in 'active' development.

DC's Flash with Ezra Miller is also now in the "running" I'd propose. 

I think the Miller "FLash" movie is now the CBM with the longest time in development Hell that still has a chance of being made.
Gambit was until yesterday, when it was finally put out of it's misery "Being taken off the schedule" meaning it has been killed.

I would not be surprised if Gambit showed up, eventually in a Marvel Studios X Men movie, but this solo film is now dead.

Edited by dudalb