Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And if pigs had wings, they could fly......

From the way both Fox and now Disney are treating this movie, only reasonable conclusion is the film is a big mess. Good films do not sit around on the shelf for two years.

FOx pulled the trigger amost immediately on reshoots for DP, but did not do so for NM.That should tell you something.

The movie could be a mess and still have a great trailer. I think that’s the route they should go with. Market it as a horror movie and try to get as big of an OW as possible so legs won’t matter.

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Good films don't need to be 50% reshot.

True also. There are just too many sings that NM is a mess to be ignored..except by the die hard Fox X Men fanboys.

Other thing is if you need to reshoot 50% of a film. there is an excellent change that the drastic surgery will not work, and the film will die anyway......Yes, reshoots happen all the time, but there is a different between reshoots to be make a good film better, and a desperate attempt to save a bad film .

49 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

The movie could be a mess and still have a great trailer. I think that’s the route they should go with. Market it as a horror movie and try to get as big of an OW as possible so legs won’t matter.

I am  sure there are film editors in Hollywood who make a very good living because they can make almost any film, no matter how bad, look good in a trailer.

But even that is no guarantee. I really suspect that if it does get a theatrical release, it is because Disney has to do it for legal reasons of contractual obligation.  Even a "dump" release will probably  cost more then the film itself. Time to cut your losses.

• Disbelief 1

"Good films don't need to be 50% reshot", ugh, look, this is Fox, Fox who cut two movies to one movie for Dark Phoenix 2 months before shooting began. When they decide to put their hands in there, they fuck it up big time. Could turn out either way, what we KNOW is that the trades that reported first on the reshoots all said the film tested well, Sneider said it tested as well as Deadpool, ALL of them said that Fox wanted it to be even more horror oriented and add more scares. 

Which is what Boone intended to make, then Sneider said there were rewrites and Fox basically asked him to direct a YA version of it, and that the reshoots would allow Boone to make the film he really wanted to make from the beginning. Then the merger happened, Fox lost their mind (ie Dark Phoenix cut from two films to one without ANY explanation to Kinberg, cast and crew), the actors were busy, it fell through the cracks.

You can keep believing it'll be a bad film, bla bla bla, I for one have a lot of faith in this and so do others. It's tiring to go on a New Mutants related thread and see constant negativity, you guys don't realize it, or maybe you do. How about showing some optimism, or actually discuss the film itself, however little we might know. If folks are posting just to reiterate for the 10000th time that "the film is a mess, DUMP IT on streaming", why bother. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

If the film is fine and tested fine as it was before all these talks of reshoots and additional characters, just release that version, the PG-13 version that's already been filmed and likely has finished score and visual effects.

You have uncorimed stories of a favorable test screeing, and the actual facts that Fox and Disney have treated this as a film with huge,huge, problems. I will take the reality of what the studio thinks about a film over rumors any day of the week.

6 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

"Good films don't need to be 50% reshot", ugh, look, this is Fox, Fox who cut two movies to one movie for Dark Phoenix 2 months before shooting began. When they decide to put their hands in there, they fuck it up big time. Could turn out either way, what we KNOW is that the trades that reported first on the reshoots all said the film tested well, Sneider said it tested as well as Deadpool, ALL of them said that Fox wanted it to be even more horror oriented and add more scares. 

Which is what Boone intended to make, then Sneider said there were rewrites and Fox basically asked him to direct a YA version of it, and that the reshoots would allow Boone to make the film he really wanted to make from the beginning. Then the merger happened, Fox lost their mind (ie Dark Phoenix cut from two films to one without ANY explanation to Kinberg, cast and crew), the actors were busy, it fell through the cracks.

You can keep believing it'll be a bad film, bla bla bla, I for one have a lot of faith in this and so do others. It's tiring to go on a New Mutants related thread and see constant negativity, you guys don't realize it, or maybe you do. How about showing some optimism, or actually discuss the film itself, however little we might know. If folks are posting just to reiterate for the 10000th time that "the film is a mess, DUMP IT on streaming", why bother. 

Another person who does not get this is not a fan site where negative opinions are carefully removed.

Look, two studios are treating the film like it was damaged goods. it has been sitting on the shelf for over two years now. If the film was "fine" or even "acceptable" this would not have happened.

If you don't like anything other then blind faith this will be a good film.stick to the fan ran sites.

Sorry, but everything we know from the handling of the film by 2 studios indicates that, at least, it's has seriouis problems.

And the huge failure of DP is going to make Disney reluctant to spend a lot of money trying to "Fix" NM .

But keep at ignoring reality and living in a fantasy world. Fanboys are really good at that..until the real world comes crashing in.

• Like 1

You know, personally at this point, I don't really care if they release the film at all. It's basically become the equivalent of Trick-r-Treat at this point, movie was going to get released, then drops off the face of the Earth until released direct-to-dvd years later.

Either release it as it is whether its good or an imeasurable shitpile of garbage, or let it be the Corman Fantastic Four of the 2020s, let it disappear into the annals of history until it finally leaks on Youtube or whatever is its equivalent 10-15 years from now that someone will probably make an interesting video about shortly afterwards.

I really stopped giving a shit about X-Men after Logan anyway.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

13 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

If the film is fine and tested fine as it was before all these talks of reshoots and additional characters, just release that version, the PG-13 version that's already been filmed and likely has finished score and visual effects.

If it allows Boone to make the film he wanted and set out to make at first, then that's great. I've been told Disney wants Anya Taylor Joy in X-Force, so if it means that the reshoots allow New Mutants to live on beyond this one film, or if Disney wants to reuse some of the actors in other films, then that's great. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

If it allows Boone to make the film he wanted and set out to make at first, then that's great. I've been told Disney wants Anya Taylor Joy in X-Force, so if it means that the reshoots allow New Mutants to live on beyond this one film, or if Disney wants to reuse some of the actors in other films, then that's great. 

You’ve been told by who? I can not find a single website or article that puts the words “Disney” “X-Forc and “Anya Taylor Joy” in the same sentence.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

7 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

original cut was josh boon's vision I heard.

Where did you hear this? Please don't tell me from that clown slugzilla on superherohype :D Jeff Sneider said this in 2018.

https://www.tracking-board.com/inside-the-drama-surrounding-foxs-new-mutants-including-a-top-secret-new-cast-member-exclusive/

"For starters, I’m told that the creative differences between director Josh Boone and Fox execs have been blown out of proportion by fanboy bloggers who are all too eager to make a mountain out of a molehill, and that Boone ultimately delivered the movie that he and co-writer Knate Lee originally agreed to make. There is no “Josh Boone cut” gathering dust in a locked vault on the Fox lot."

The simple fact is that making movies of this size is a complicated process that involves many compromises, and a corresponding number of cooks in the kitchen. Sometimes there are too many cooks, and that’s kind of what happened with regard to New Mutants.

Boone and Lee wrote the initial drafts of the script, but they were replaced and brought back multiple times. The studio even assembled a writer’s room to tear apart the script and put it back together. So while Boone and Lee might have their names on every draft, agency sources insist that this film was written by committee.

According to those sources, here are all of the writers who had a direct hand in the New Mutants script: Scott Neustadter & Michael Weber, Josh Zetumer, Chad & Carey Hayes and Seth Grahame-Smith, plus there were six more guys in a writer’s room tasked with generating ideas for the film. Interesting to note that there wasn’t a single female writer involved at any point, but that’s another sad story for another dark day.

At first, Boone and Lee wanted to make a horror movie, but Fox was initially resistant to that idea, as the studio didn’t want to go “full horror.” Sources say that Fox demanded a PG-13 rating and pushed back against the film’s horror elements, such as excessive blood and scares. Eventually, everyone got on the same page, and together, they set out to make a YA movie that felt like a cross between Stephen King and John Hughes. Fox film chief Stacey Snider is basically quoted as calling New Mutants a superhero movie set in a Breakfast Club-like setting whose genre is more like The Shining than “let’s save the world.”

At that point, Fox decided that instead of doing the three days of additional filming required to complete the YA movie that everyone had initially agreed to go make, the studio would change course and make a new version of the movie that was straight-up horror, which was what Boone and Lee originally wanted to do in the first place. It’s a little like a diner sending back a meal at a restaurant — not because there was something wrong with it, but because they simply changed their minds and wanted to order a different entrée, or movie, in this case.

Those close to the director said he always felt a bit neutered during principal photography, as he was forced to tone down the violence in order to avoid a dreaded R-rating. And because Boone was contractually obligated to shoot what was in the script, there was only so much he could do despite his and Lee’s best instincts. Sources say that while the second half of New Mutants is basically locked at this point, the first half of the film needs some work, and that Boone will likely add a bunch of scares that didn’t initially appeal to Fox execs. He and Lee might even stand a better chance of getting what they want now than they did during the initial development phase. In the end though, insiders chalk up the confusion surrounding the tonal identity of New Mutants to the lack of a strong producer on set, as lead producer Simon Kinberg was often busy making his own X-Men movie, Dark Phoenix.

About Mr Sinister being teased along with Essex: "Meanwhile, remember the Essex Corporation that was teased at the end of X-Men: Apocalypse? Well not only was New Mutants going to feature that mysterious company, but The Tracking Board has learned that Jon Hamm was originally going to appear as Mr. Sinister in a tag at the end of New Mutants, and Boone filmed material that led up to that reveal, only for Fox to change their minds after shooting had been completed. Now it’ll be Antonio Banderas playing an unspecified villain (one who isn’t expected to be Mr. Sinister) in the New Mutants tag. Additionally, Mr. Sinister wasn’t the only character Fox steered away from New Mutants, as Warlock appeared in early drafts of the script before the character was deemed too expensive."

The New Mutants situation may be a mess, but insiders believe it’s a fixable one. By all accounts, it has been a stressful shoot for Boone, but he has fought the good fight in the name of making the best movie possible for fans. If the studio truly thought this was his fault, they probably would’ve fired him and brought in someone else like Lucasfilm did with Ron Howard on Solo, but Fox execs know this problem is of their own doing. That’s why they aren’t kicking him to the curb, and why they’re allowing him to both write and direct the new material. Plus, he makes a convenient scapegoat.

Despite a full plate, those close to the director say he’s committed to seeing his vision for New Mutants through to the end, though it’s been frustrating for members of his cast and crew to read so much inaccurate speculation online.

Edited by TimmyRiggins

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

By someone who has sources, we'll see if it pans out or not. Your tone is so aggressive man. 

So I'm to expect that a random BOTer who has made claims such as:

"That Disney is investing money at all in the film for reshoots MEANS something" (despite the fact no one from Disney, not Iger, Feige, or Horn has mentioned anything about reshoots. Just Simon Kinberg)

Or "You're one of those "Kinberg LIES" folks heh?" (implying Simon Kinberg isn't a known liar, which he is and can be proven upon request)

Or "I can see The New Mutants as one film Feige and co will use to introduce the mutants in the MCU" (despite Feige's statements that the X-Men don't fit into the five year plan and won't be seen for a "very long time"? Feige, a control freak (for the better), doesn't have a reason to retrofit someone else's work into his 12-year pet project.

I'm supposed to believe that some rando who has already shown a disconnect with the facts of the situation has a magical source telling him things that no other publication or journalist has suggested?

• Disbelief 1

A disconnect? No, just another point of view instead of the rehashed "This film is going to suck, it's a mess, they should dump it on streaming (there's an actual theatrical release date)". If you can't take someone defending the film on a thread that is recycled hate all the time, then I don't know what you're doing here, is there a purpose to your presence here? (and no, it's not "discussion" when it's the same hateful nonsense all the time). I mean, think about it, how would Josh Boone, or the folks who worked on the film feel if they popped in there and saw non stop glee, hate all the time?

Also Kinberg isn't a liar, I'm sure that if you hold him to that level of scrutiny and morality, then there are tons of actors, producers and co who should be called liars. Just because they're not always at liberty to say something, whether it's being cast in a film, or a film's reshoots, doesn't mean they're liars. It's common sense, that's all, Disney could have easily dumped the film earlier, but they're giving it a prime theatrical spot, the film cost peanuts, there might be potential there, and you're not behind the scenes anyway, why should you be right and me necessarily wrong?

The reshoots have been planned forever, then the merger, Disney assessing what to do with the film, it's an unusual, difficult situation. Why would Horn, Feige or Iger mention reshoots? It's not their project, they just inherited it, if you want news, it's going to come from the producers of the film or the director man.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

A disconnect? No, just another point of view instead of the rehashed "This film is going to suck, it's a mess, they should dump it on streaming (there's an actual theatrical release date)". If you can't take someone defending the film on a thread that is recycled hate all the time, then I don't know what you're doing here, is there a purpose to your presence here

Also Kinberg isn't a liar, I'm sure that if you hold him to that level of scrutiny and morality, then there are tons of actors, producers and co who should be called liars. Just because they're not always at liberty to say something, whether it's being cast in a film, or a film's reshoots, doesn't mean they're liars. It's common sense, that's all, Disney could have easily dumped the film earlier, but they're giving a prime theatrical spot, the film cost peanuts, there might be potential there, and you're not behind the scenes anyway, why should you be right and me necessarily wrong?

The reshoots have been planned forever, then the merger, Disney assessing what to do with the film, it's an unusual, difficult situation. Why would Horn, Feige or Iger mention reshoots? It's not their project, they just inherited it, if you want news, it's going to come from the producers of the film or the director man.

1: I don't have a problem at all with people "defending" this film or any film. I do have a problem with untruths.

2: Indeed most of Hollywood is liars and other scum. Including Kinberg. To be fair, part of Kinberg's job as a major Hollywood producer is to lie out of his ass to the press. Just because it's in the job description doesn't make it excusable though.

Here's some of Kinberg's lies:

On why Wolverine isn't in Dark Phoenix: "There was an element of this being Jean’s story. And I was committing so fully to it that I didn’t want to run the risk of pulling away from Jean by going to the well of a fan-favorite character in these movies. I wanted this to be a very different experience of seeing an 'X-Men' movie"

Actually, Wolverine isn't in Dark Phoenix because Hugh Jackman retired from the role, leaving the role vacant. The alternative is you cast a new actor in the role, despite Jackman's Wolverine already being established in this timeline, and knowing this would be his only appearance. LIE.

Here's two lies for the price of one, from May of '18 (after Disney/Fox deal was underway), talking about the upcoming X-Force and Gambit films that were totally on track to be made: “Gambit has a great script and we’re looking to start that movie early next year,” Kinberg said. “Multiple Man, that script’s being worked on right now. [With X-Force] we’re just waiting for Drew Goddard to be done with releasing his film that comes out in a few weeks, and then he’ll get started on that script to direct.”

I'm so glad those Gambit and X-Force films came to fruition. LIES.

Not to mention he's one of the industry's foremost self-promoters. Like when he tried to take credit for the Star Wars Sequel trilogy, of which he is not a credited in any capacity on: "we spent a week with a whiteboard and some pens and were in a conference room all day talking about [movies] VII, VIII, and IX. But it’s a whiteboard covered in our notes. t was the most magical time because we were writing Star Wars movies"

Episode VII, VIII, and IX writer Simon Kinberg? LIES.

Simon Kinberg on the famous trainwreck of a production process that was Fantastic Four, where Josh Trank was known for going crazy on set and eventually removed from the project: "The energy on set is great. Josh Trank is fantastic on set. Really in command, really clear. Just seeing those actors and seeing Josh, the way he’s articulating the tone and the way the actors are executing it gives me a lot of confidence that we’ll actually be able to make a cool Fantastic Four movie." LIIIIEEEEEEESSS

On Fantastic Four reshoots: "To confirm - Fantastic Four will be doing 3-4 days of additional photography with director Josh Trank and some key cast members". LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE. Reshoots reportedly lasted at minimum a month, and most of the second half of the film was reshot.

And then when he contradicted himself within months on a possible X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover, going from "No, it is, they live in discrete universes" to "So, hypothetically, the notion of putting them together is really intriguing, and there’s some really fun stuff that the comics have done in the past. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility" almost immediately. Man can't keep his story straight!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3: TIL that the first weekend in April is a "prime theatrical spot". Also, you seem to be forgetting that the film had three other release dates it never made. Fourth time is the charm? Until the fifth time.... Or the sixth.

4: As of March, New Mutants is officially Horn, Feige, and Iger's project. They own the studio that produced it. They are in charge of the studio distributing it. It's theirs to do with what they want. Any reshoots will be decided by them, not by Kinberg. Unless Kinberg wants to invest his own millions of dollars. Kinberg may have been planing reshoots, but he's not top dog anymore. The studio he reported to is dead and buried. He is no longer the decision-maker.

Long story short, no one has any reason to believe you of all people claiming inside information on a Disney/X-Force/Anya Taylor Joy project.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, TimmyRiggins said:

You know, you're the only person who believes in those obviously bullshit reports by Snider and Frosty about "reshooting half (!!!!!!) of the movie to make already great movie even better". Even for a big Fox-Marvel fanboy like myself it's painfully obvious that this movie has huge problems. And those giant delayes and enormous reshoots only show that Fox doesn't know what to do with what they have on hands. No way on earth it tested well with aftermath like that.

• Disbelief 1

"(...)For the record, the version of the film that Boone turned in was allegedly decent enough, with solid test scores and only a few pick-ups in the works to solidify what worked. The choice to go horror was allegedly first broached by Boone himself from the beginning but was accepted by Fox retroactively only after another studio’s “young kids confront a supernatural monster” flick hit pay dirt. That said, there was value in making the film stand out as an outright horror film so that the X-Men spin-off would be as distinct as Deadpool or the Wolverine movies. (...)"

Source:

As 'Dark Phoenix' Bombs, Should 'The New Mutants' Premiere On Hulu Or Disney+?

BOT's psychic members told us movie is unsaveable and awful.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

That quote means nothing, we won't know for sure until it's released.

Obviously, but people here keep saying movie is awful and there's no hope for it.

Edited by Litio

3 hours ago, Litio said:

"(...)For the record, the version of the film that Boone turned in was allegedly decent enough, with solid test scores and only a few pick-ups in the works to solidify what worked. The choice to go horror was allegedly first broached by Boone himself from the beginning but was accepted by Fox retroactively only after another studio’s “young kids confront a supernatural monster” flick hit pay dirt. That said, there was value in making the film stand out as an outright horror film so that the X-Men spin-off would be as distinct as Deadpool or the Wolverine movies. (...)"

Source:

As 'Dark Phoenix' Bombs, Should 'The New Mutants' Premiere On Hulu Or Disney+?

BOT's psychic members told us movie is unsaveable and awful.

Also from that article:

"Disney/Fox knows full well that The New Mutants as it exists (or will exist) isn't exactly primed for theatrical breakout even as a full-fledged horror flick, and it may not be worth the theatrical marketing campaign. That said, it will be far more of an event if it pops up as a streaming premiere on Hulu or even Disney+."

"At this point, The New Mutants can either be just one minor theatrical release or a big event by its premiere as a streaming title. It's a matter of being a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond. Is the X-Men spin-off worth more as a troubled theatrical release or as a significant A-list streaming premiere?"

"Is it more valuable as a theatrical release potentially thriving alongside James Bond 25 and Trolls World Tour next April? The straight-up horror approach will still put it up against March's The Invisible Man and A Quiet Place 2, but that's not an automatic death sentence. Conversely, if Disney is trying to build up the value of their streaming service, there is some weight in offering The New Mutants as the kind of high quality "theater-worthy" content that debuts on Disney+. Yes, assuming it's safely PG-13, I'm guessing even a scary X-Men movie can play on the Disney+ service."

"I do think the critical and commercial reception of Dark Phoenix puts a hurt on The New Mutants in terms of its theatrical potential."

The argument I and many others have been making is that The New Mutants has more value as a D+ property rather than a theatrical release. That still stands.