Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

• Community Manager
19 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

My problem is that this first teaser wasn't a good impression at all, it looks generic cheap horror film, with run on the mill jump scares. I think the biggest problem is that while Josh Boone is considered a great screenwriter when it comes to teenagers (Never saw FIOTS or any other films that he worked, but I trust people that do and enjoyed) the fact that he is a first time director it's taking a toll on him, especially since good horror films isn't that easy to crack. It reminds me the Marc Webb situation, but even worse because it feels like he is trying too much with little experience. I'd much rather see an experienced horror director or an up and comer like Wan and Peele having a crack on this than a first time horror director like Boone. It's a shame because I want this to succeed, but I feel like it doesn't have a chance if isn't able to satisfy horror and superheroes fans alike. Hopefully, it will do good enough to justify other directors or even Boone himself having another crack at it. But right now, I'm just not feeling it.

James Wan is an up and comer? Huh? I guess you could maybe argue Peele but I wouldn't call him and up and comer either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

James Wan is an up and comer? Huh? I guess you could maybe argue Peele but I wouldn't call him and up and comer either.

I meant old school vs new school. I have a feeling that Boone is biting more than he can chew here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

I meant old school vs new school. I have a feeling that Boone is biting more than he can chew here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I just saw the trailer and while I'm skeptical, the direction looks fine to me.

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I just saw the trailer and while I'm skeptical, the direction looks fine to me.

I'm by no means the horror resident fan on the boards, but I know my horror and this looked bland and cheap horror by the numbers kind of deal for me. Hopefully I will be proven wrong, but I don't think this look as good as any of the recent great horror films we got lately.

3 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

New Mutants is drawing on every horror trope in the book to make this movie stand out my lord

:thinking:  Make it stand out from dozens of other CBMs by making it look like hundreds of other horror movies.  I guess that's a plan.

I wonder what the budget on this is?  If it's more than $5m, Fox is trying it's hardest to make it look cheap.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

I don’t totally Get that they didn’t display Any mutant powers in the trailer or the poster. Isn’t it marketing rule one to have your big grand shots ready for the trailer? If they don’t have that for the second trailer i think it Will be 23/70. 

20 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

I don’t totally Get that they didn’t display Any mutant powers in the trailer or the poster. Isn’t it marketing rule one to have your big grand shots ready for the trailer? If they don’t have that for the second trailer i think it Will be 23/70. 

They did show at least one mutant power in there. But yeah, you're right, that was a very economical trailer.