Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

11 hours ago, GambitPool said:

With Disney's Fox purchase, is this still a trilogy? Or a one and done film? I wanted to see what they had planned. 

THR's take on it:

Fox’s The New Mutants is opening April 13, 2018, and director Josh Boone has a trilogy planned. But does a movie like that, with a smaller budget and rising stars, fit in a slate that includes big-budget live-action remakes such as Jungle Book and Cinderella, Star Wars movies, Pixar and Walt Disney offerings, and Avengers?  

“If Disney is an NFL team, then every movie on the calendar is like a Heisman Trophy winner,” says one insider. “This raises the bar of what is a theatrical release.”

Thus, the thinking is that future installments or non-event Marvel content could be put into the silo for Disney's planned streaming service (of course, all bets are off if New Mutants becomes a hit and audience demand forces more theatrical releases).

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-fantastic-four-flux-fox-disney-deal-1067672

Now I don't know if said insider is from Disney or Fox but Disney has been releasing lower budget films until just last year in cinemas but to disappointing financial results. So I don't think they will be opposed to lower budget theatrical features as long as they have been successfully established previously. Iger's comments on Deadpool is one such example. If The New Mutants are a hit both commercially and critically, then I don't think Disney will discard the franchise, especially since the film's connection to the main X-Men universe will be tangential at best, at least for this initial film. Heck, post buyout they could even downplay or remove any connections that are in place already.

And that's assuming the plan is to indeed reboot the main X-Men franchise within the MCU. If the X-Verse remains its own separate thing, then chances of NM sequels (in case of success on the first go) are even better.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

THR's take on it:

Now I don't know if said insider is from Disney or Fox but Disney has been releasing lower budget films until just last year in cinemas but to disappointing financial results. So I don't think they will be opposed to lower budget theatrical features as long as they have been successfully established previously. Iger's comments on Deadpool is one such example. If The New Mutants are a hit both commercially and critically, then I don't think Disney will discard the franchise, especially since the film's connection to the main X-Men universe will be tangential at best, at least for this initial film. Heck, post buyout they could even downplay or remove any connections that are in place already.

And that's assuming the plan is to indeed reboot the main X-Men franchise within the MCU. If the X-Verse remains its own separate thing, then chances of NM sequels (in case of success on the first go) are even better.

One can dream...

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

THR's take on it:

Basically, the performance of D2, New Mutants, and Dark Phoenix next year will determine the future of their respective series.

Edited by The47th

On 2017. 12. 6. at 10:27 AM, NoobSaibot said:

I think this experiment is going to backfire horribly. It makes me mad, because we should have gotten this:

cool-new-mutants-movie-animatic-and-nat-

I was so excited with this early take and ideas. NM was my most wanted movie til I saw the trailer.