Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Now Disney is talking about a limited release.

IE, Open for a few days in a couple of major cities, then direct to VOD. Probably to fullfill a contractual obligation for a theatritcal release.

Where is your source to this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Now Disney is talking about a limited release.

IE, Open for a few days in a couple of major cities, then direct to VOD. Probably to fullfill a contractual obligation for a theatritcal release.

7 hours ago, Eric in Boots said:

Source?

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

Where is your source to this?

Waiting Gif GIF

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Can't. Fox contract with HBO means it'd be straight to HBO Max.

If that were true, Universal, which has a very similar deal to Fox in that they send their new movies to HBO, they wouldn't have released Trolls 2, High Note, Irresistible and King of Staten Island for digital rental/purchase, They can still put it on streaming services to purchase. Though it's rockier now for Universal since they have Peacock now and everything this year-onward was supposed to go over to it.

The usual release strategy for Fox is:

1. Theaters for 3-4 months

2. 4K/Blu/DVD/Digital Purchase

3. HBO/HBO Max roughly 7-9 months after theatrical release.

4. TV (usually FX)/Other Streaming Services Two-Three Years After Theatrical Release.

So one could purchase the digital movie to watch on Amazon, Vudu, Itunes, Fandango Now, Google Play.

The contract only stops Disney/Fox from putting the service on Hulu (which it would still technically end up on if one subscribed to the HBO add on) and Disney Plus. 

And it can be argued by Disney and Fox that those contracts only really work if the movie is actually theatrically released.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Does anybody actually have a source that says "Fox movies are required to come out in theaters no matter what because HBO says so?" I keep seeing this being thrown around, but I've yet to see any actual backing.

And speaking of sources... @dudalb we asked you your source for New Mutants being in limited release then to VOD. Are you going to tell us, or are you just making shit up?

It's not like Disney can't renegotiate that deal. Stranger things have happened this year.

I mean last year for Disney Plus' release they literally made deals with Starz to get many of its animated movies, INCLUDING Frozen on the service at launch.

They made deals with Turner/Warner Bros which currently has the first run network TV/cable rights to MCU films to have every MCU movie at that point up to launch (with the exception of the Netflix films). Hell, Infinity War hit the service Friday and debuted on TNT Saturday. It's not like Disney can't do the same with HBO.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Release date change announcement incoming (this move was from Disney Brazil but they also moved The Last Duel by 3 weeks too eventhough it's coming out in Jan so I assume these changes are WW): 

3qvh65i5xh851.png

Move it to 2115, so it can compete with this!

52 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Move it to 2115, so it can compete with this!

Sad for a great franchise like the Fox X Men to end  like this.

Logan would have been such a great note to go out on.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Release date change announcement incoming (this move was from Disney Brazil but they also moved The Last Duel by 3 weeks too eventhough it's coming out in Jan so I assume these changes are WW): 

3qvh65i5xh851.png

Is this September 10 or October 9?