Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

the thing is this never had big buzz and hype. people were like oh interesting and moved on. I personally thought this could be game changer and new fresh saving grace for fox xmen. but sadly no interest from not only locals but those superhero fanboys at all.

RT Critics

33% /  avg 4.8 out of 10 rating from 52 reviews

verified audience

53% / avg 3.27 out of 5 from 11,84 reviews.

Edited by imbruglia

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If it had been released in April 2018 as originally planned it would have done well probably. The first trailer got some positive buzz at the time.

I don’t think so, it would still have received the same negative reviews and the WOM would have been just as toxic. The only difference we’re seeing is that a lot of people who might have taken a chance on it are now staying home because it’s not a big enough film for them to risk COVID.

Before the pandemic I probably would have gone to see this regardless of the reviews purely because I’m an X Men fan, but it’s not even on my radar right now. I’ll catch it when it ends up on Sky.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If it had been released in April 2018 as originally planned it would have done well probably. The first trailer got some positive buzz at the time.

WOM would have killed it. Though, it might have gotten an okay opening, definitely not $7M.

Only good news for Disney is because the budget was so low...4o to 50 Million dollars, they won't lose much on this.

Disney was rigfht in thinking it had a turkey on it's hands (and Fox managment before the merger had the same opinion) and was right in spending as little as possible on a threatircal release. Even if no virus, it still would have failed at the box office.

At least we can jforget about it now. That it was destined for failure was in the cards a long time ago, given it's history. Good films just do not sit on the shelf fot two years.

2 hours ago, Julian1410 said:

I just saw it and thought it was enjoyable but felt very small. Anya Was by far the stand out. 

To be fair,I thnk the "Small" was a deliberate artistic choice, they did not want it to be as "big" as the other X Men films. they wanted a more intimate film. Which I think was a great idea..medling the X men with horror...but it seems to have been badly executed.

WHich is something we see a lot. A really great idea is ruined by bad execution.

I have heard it said, the brilliant ideas are actually more common then you would think. but  the real problem is in briging them to reality.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Only good news for Disney is because the budget was so low...4o to 50 Million dollars, they won't lose much on this.

Disney was rigfht in thinking it had a turkey on it's hands (and Fox managment before the merger had the same opinion) and was right in spending as little as possible on a threatircal release. Even if no virus, it still would have failed at the box office.

At least we can jforget about it now. That it was destined for failure was in the cards a long time ago, given it's history. Good films just do not sit on the shelf fot two years.

67 million Budget. Most on FX. 

I don’t know how much Disney has spent on promotion but that’s the only thing Disney contributed to the budget. 

19 hours ago, Slicknickshady said:

67 million Budget. Most on FX. 

I don’t know how much Disney has spent on promotion but that’s the only thing Disney contributed to the budget. 

Don't have any figures, but clear that Disney gave this a minimal marketing budget. Think this would have happened even if there was no COvid. Clear that for a long time Disney knew it had a turkey on it's hand.

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

That one way to see a 71 billion acquisition cost.

Well, when you take over a company, you take over the liabalities as well as the assets. Pretty clear that the last two X men films were Liabalites.

Disney made some effort to save Dark Phoenix, simply because it cost so much to make, but with NM's modest budget

when they saw it was a turkey they decided to give it a minimal cost release. It was disposable.

I suspect that in a couple of months,this movie will be gone from most people's memory.

It's a sad way for a once very successful franchise to end.  I know it has b een said to death but it's still valid:Would have been nice if they ended on a hgiht note with "Logan".

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I suspect that in a couple of months,this movie will be gone from most people's memory.

It's a sad way for a once very successful franchise to end.  I know it has b een said to death but it's still valid:Would have been nice if they ended on a hgiht note with "Logan".

I always pretend Logan is the end of the Fox-X-Men universe. It's for the better 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If you really want to try and make any sense of continuity for the X-Men films, Logan takes place in 2029, so it can be considered the last film 

yeah, conflicting versions of the Dark Phonnix storyline sort of shoot continuity to hell for the series as a whole.

Better to forget the two  post Logan films every happened. They went to the well too often.

I can understand why from a business viewpoint they continued past Logan......there is a naturally desire in a business to milk the cash cow until it runs dry, but with both Dark Phoenix and New Mutants box office fails it clear the cow dried up with Logan.
Ironic that the "Dark Willow" storyline in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" is still best screen version of the Dark Phoenix storyline (and Joss Whedon cheerfully admits to having lifted the basic concept from the comics).

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

yeah, conflicting versions of the Dark Phonnix storyline sort of shoot continuity to hell for the series as a whole.

Better to forget the two  post Logan films every happened. They went to the well too often.

I can understand why from a business viewpoint they continued past Logan......there is a naturally desire in a business to milk the cash cow until it runs dry, but with both Dark Phoenix and New Mutants box office fails it clear the cow dried up with Logan.
Ironic that the "Dark Willow" storyline in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" is still best screen version of the Dark Phoenix storyline (and Joss Whedon cheerfully admits to having lifted the basic concept from the comics).

The continuity was already wonky before Dark Phoenix, especially if you want to count the Deadpool films.