Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

cochofles, on 03 Oct 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

The original New Mutants were an uncharacteristically female-heavy team. I liked that there wasn't a "token female" (like it's become the norm in superhero team movies) and in fact, women tended to outnumber men in the team. I hope that they keep it that way for the film.

What's the likely lineup? I'll admit I've never been a super huge fan of Karma, thought I'm open to pretty much any lineup.

For me the essential 4 are Sunspot, Cannonball, Magik, and Dani. Though I'm a little worried that they might be scared of Magik. Her history and various powers might be a little intimidating.

Magma or Rahne would be fine. They probably have easy to understand powers for a new audience. Photogenic powers.

Doug and Warlock are essential members of the New Mutants, but I'm not sure how they'd work onscreen. Doug would probably work, but for me Cypher and Warlock should go together, so I'm not sure I'd want to see one without the other. Warlock would be ... difficult.

Now watch them go in a completely different direction, and it'll be Cable, Domino, Boom Boom, and Rictor.

• Like 2

What's the likely lineup? I'll admit I've never been a super huge fan of Karma, thought I'm open to pretty much any lineup.

For me the essential 4 are Sunspot, Cannonball, Magik, and Dani. Though I'm a little worried that they might be scared of Magik. Her history and various powers might be a little intimidating.

Magma or Rahne would be fine. They probably have easy to understand powers for a new audience. Photogenic powers.

Doug and Warlock are essential members of the New Mutants, but I'm not sure how they'd work onscreen. Doug would probably work, but for me Cypher and Warlock should go together, so I'm not sure I'd want to see one without the other. Warlock would be ... difficult.

Now watch them go in a completely different direction, and it'll be Cable, Domino, Boom Boom, and Rictor.

For me, the essential team is the first one: Cannonball, Karma, Moonstar, Wolfsbane, and Sunspot. I love that the team is quite diverse. We have an all-American boy, a Vietnamese girl, a Native American girl, a Brazilian boy, and a Scotswoman (scotsgirl?).

Like you, I wonder about the movie line up. If it were up to me, I'd certainly include the diversity and the female-heavy line up, as well as the more cinematic/visual powers:

Sunspot,

Cannonball,

Dani Moonstar,

Magik,

Wolfsbane,

and a merged version of Warlock/Cypher.

So basically three guys and three girls. 

In any case, I would rather they not do a Guardians of the Galaxy on us. Meaning, I hope that they use the original lineup. 

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

I don't think they will have Sunspot this early as they just utilized him in Days of Future Past. Unless this is a prequel of sorts to that movie? Ugh, the X-movie continuity and timeline really confuse me.

Yeah, I agree that the essential and safest choice is the original line-up: Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Karma, Sunspot and Wolfsbane. Though I could swap Wolfsbane for Magik as the latter is a superior character and has better powers. Plus, her older bro is in Deadpool and was in three previous X-Films.

Wouldn't be too surprised though if this is an immediate sequel to Apocalypse and the line-up will be the youngsters from that film: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Angel, Nightcrawler and Jubilee. Except for Jean, it's not like these characters got a whole load of attention in the other films unlike Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto and Mystique, so I'd be cool if they went in that direction too. Really like most of the actors playing those kids and I think they have the talent and gravitas amongst themselves to carry off an entire film without relying on the seniors.

• Like 2

This is a spin-off to expand the franchise, it wont be another 'X-Men' movie, if that was the case, they wouldnt have announced it with a new tittle, but saying "Josh Boone to direct next X-Men sequel". Not the case here.

Not to mention that back in May with the announcement, one of the sites with sources said that this will be based on the 80s comic and will have a Stephen King/horror vibe (big influence on Josh Boone), so.... its a new roster, not the same X-Men, that wont make any sense, if Fox wants to expand the universe.

The X-Men will be the main franchise, while New mutants will be a second team by their own. The time period more than likely will be different too, taking into account that both Deadpool and Colossus will be appearing on modern day, so Fox might want to crossover those characters with New mutants, same with Cable once he appears on the Deadpool sequel.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Yay!!! I am gonna miss Mirage, but I am happy with that lineup!!

Do you mean Karma?  Mirage = Dani Moonstar.

Honestly, the rumor about Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor Joy being casted seems to be true.  Josh Boone has retweeted the article about Maisie Williams wanting to join New Mutants twice now, including today.  He also recently followed Anya Taylor Joy and Maisie Williams on Twitter a few weeks back and Taylor Joy liked his IG post of Magik.   This is Dan Amboyer/Hal Jordan level trolling IF they end up casting others.

Edited by AaronL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Yes!! Thanks a lot! That’s who I meant: Karma! :-)

I love the New Mutants.  They really spoke to me the most when I was younger.  I know Josh Boone is a huge fan, so hopefully it will be at least decent.  I really want Karma in it as well, but I also feel that 6 (or even 5) is the perfect number of team members in a first movie.  So, if I had to pick 3 female characters, will definitely have to be Dani, Rahne and Illyiana.  Karma is the odd women out.  Warlock w/o Cypher is...eh.  He's certainly would be visually interesting though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AaronL said:

I love the New Mutants.  They really spoke to me the most when I was younger.  I know Josh Boone is a huge fan, so hopefully it will be at least decent.  I really want Karma in it as well, but I also feel that 6 (or even 5) is the perfect number of team members in a first movie.  So, if I had to pick 3 female characters, will definitely have to be Dani, Rahne and Illyiana.  Karma is the odd women out.  Warlock w/o Cypher is...eh.  He's certainly would be visually interesting though.

I'm going through the classic New Mutants run. It really is some of Marvel's best work. 

I don't like Rahne and would have vastly preferred Karma. But my hate for Rahne is mostly because she was so gross in New X-Men, having an affair with a minor whom she was supposed to be mentoring and what not. But this is the teen version and if Maisie plays her then I could really dig it.

I think they might Scooby-Doo/Slimer Warlock and make him the almost unintelligible non-human mascot of the group. I could live with that, I think, provided the other five are handled great.

• Like 1