Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Sasha Stone was dissing Nikki on Twitter today... How dare she??? :rant: :rant:

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

So TWC tells Nikki Finke about the Dustin Hoffman thing.She posts it as a news break. They announce it, she says Toldja. Really? #fakingit

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

I mean, does anyone actually not know how tight Nikki Finke is with Harvey Weinstein?

Nikki was a babe. Crone never was. Nikki is an iconic name. Crone is known to few buffs who face-palm at her crazy post-menopausal rants about being David Fincher. Hence this retarded tweet.
  • Like 1

so why couldn't this be driven by "fan frenzy"? the avengers aren't unknown. most of the characters have had their movies already and i'm sure they gathered some fans.

It is, just not to the same extent. Look at the midnights, for example, of the previous films. IM2 - 7.5MThor - 3.25MCap - 4.0MNone of those really scream "fan-frenzy." Why would this be any different? Edited by spizzer

Nikki was a babe. Crone never was. Nikki is an iconic name. Crone is known to few buffs who face-palm at her crazy post-menopausal rants about being David Fincher. Hence this retarded tweet.

I have no idea what any of that means.
  • Like 1

Variety says $65m OD and $160m OW... can someone please teach these people how to project if they're going to give early estimates? lol

$64m would be a little disappointing, but like I said, its way too early and matinees are not a good gauge this time of year.

Pretty much. Even in the summer, trying to extrapolate without at least some evening data on the East Coast is a fool's errand.

$64m would be a little disappointing, but like I said, its way too early and matinees are not a good gauge this time of year.

Is it just disappointing to us? I doubt Disney/Marvel would be disappointed.

Variety says $65m OD and $160m OW... can someone please teach these people how to project if they're going to give early estimates? lolPretty much. Even in the summer, trying to extrapolate without at least some evening data on the East Coast is a fool's errand.

Yeah, they're all awful at making projections. It's kind of mind boggling how bad they are

Both SM3 and IM2 managed a 2.5x IM. I'm sure TA can manage the same. which would put it at 163m.

Neither SM3 or IM2 had such large midnights. You have to look at IM from Friday without midnights, not overall.With 66M, it would do about 150

It is, just not to the same extent. Look at the midnights, for example, of the previous films. IM2 - 7.5MThor - 3.25MCap - 4.0MNone of those really scream "fan-frenzy"

Yeah. They are nothing like the Big 3 of Comic Book Heroes.Batman, Superman, and Spiderman.

Thanks for sending me into obnoxious laughter in cubicle for end of the day. With that, my work week is complete. B)

It is, just not to the same extent. Look at the midnights, for example, of the previous films. IM2 - 7.5MThor - 3.25MCap - 4.0MNone of those really scream "fan-frenzy." Why would this be any different?

true, but the avengers midnight gross is on par with THG, which had a big fanbase. so the avengers is acting more like a :fan driven" movie. it will probably end up with THG numbers imo Edited by kyky

true, but the avengers midnight gross is on par with THG, which had a big fanbase. so the avengers is acting more like a :fan driven" franchise. it will probably end up with THG numbers imo

Not really. We don't have a 3D share yet, but Avengers still fell well short of THG's midnight attendance. It's not really acting like a fan driven franchise at all. Or at least not to the extent that Twilight/Potter do Edited by spizzer

I still don't understand why all these sources are coming up with a set in stone mid 60m OD without having any idea how it will do tonight. That makes no sense. It's main business will be tonight.

It's called extrapolation.