Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

And deservedly so. Those three films were three POS, especially TIH and CA. THOR was the least shitty of the three, in no small part because the lead has charisma to power a small nation.

Oh hey you........ No the films weren't pieces of shit.
  • Like 2

I saw TA tonight. Entertaining as fuck.I have to say this: this is not my favorite superhero film of all time, BUT...I'd wager that this is the superhero film that feels like a superhero film the most, if that makes any sense. What I mean is that, as fantastic as TDK is, TA does not feel "ashamed" to wear its superhero comic credentials on its sleeve. It was colorful, action-packed, it had strong characterization, and it had that Marvel-ish humor that most Marvel comics have nowadays. Basically, it was the most faithful adaptation of a Marvel comic book I have ever seen. And by the way, Whedon's typical humor, the kind that annoys the hell out of me, was there, but it didn't overwhelm the proceedings. At least it did not feel like that to me. Now all I hope is that they PLEASE add Ms. Marvel or any other female to the mix for the sequel. The sausage fest is ok, but come on...who would not want to see Wanda or Carol in a sequel? All in all, I had a great time, and I continue eating crow, happily.

Good that you enjoyed it. Ms. Marvel is going to be introduced no doubt about it. SW is more tricky but who knows with her.

I think WB needs to get their shit together. I totally believe that having their three icons (Supes, Bats, Wondy) in one film is a potential blockbuster, and I feel that people would be as intrigued to see them work together as with the lesser-known (compared to DC's big three) Avengers. And sorry, if Wonder Woman were handled properly, she would be bankable. Audiences have proved time and time again that they are not averse to female leads in action movies, it's just that when they do a CRAPPY superheroine film, studios blame the gender of the protagonist, when the real blame should fall one the craptacularitude of turkeys like CATWOMAN (in name alone) and ELEKTRA (declawed).

If the numbers hold, it'll be the fastest to hit $150m as well.

thats i'm sticking with 68m+ but it's 70m.. well ;) 150 is gone too... and I can't see sunday falling under 50m right now either if this all holds :) .... 200m is on the cards for this (I just can't see TDKR reaching this either)

And deservedly so. Those three films were three POS, especially TIH and CA. THOR was the least shitty of the three, in no small part because the lead has charisma to power a small nation.

OMG quoted for life! :wub: :wub: :wub:
  • Like 1

Good that you enjoyed it. Ms. Marvel is going to be introduced no doubt about it.

You really think so? Man, I hope they do. From your lips to Whedon's ears. I mean, the dude likes to write strong female characters. It would be awesome to see Carol do some damage in a sequel, in my opinion. I wonder what Rallax and Maverikk think about it.

I think WB needs to get their shit together. I totally believe that having their three icons (Supes, Bats, Wondy) in one film is a potential blockbuster, and I feel that people would be as intrigued to see them work together as with the lesser-known (compared to DC's big three) Avengers. And sorry, if Wonder Woman were handled properly, she would be bankable. Audiences have proved time and time again that they are not averse to female leads in action movies, it's just that when they do a CRAPPY superheroine film, studios blame the gender of the protagonist, when the real blame should fall one the craptacularitude of turkeys like CATWOMAN (in name alone) and ELEKTRA (declawed).

For a WW movie to work, I think the best way to make it work is to have her introduced in a Justice League movie. I think WB will work very hard to get it off the ground now.

Female leads suck in most action movies because they are Mary Sues. Unexplicable martial skills, size zero yet takes on 3 Hulk-size men at once, everyone is in love with her and OMG so impressed, can`t do wrong and if she ever does, it`s never acknowledged as such by anyone on the screen, some cliche tragic background or revenge seeking. garbage. Edited by fishnets

It's easy to say they are sitting on a goldmine, but the elements just aren't really there for a cohesive super-hero universe. The big names, Superman and Batman, work better alone. The B types, such as Green Lantern and Flash, have powers and personalities that just aren't very entertaining, and they lack the rich backdrop and supporting cast that Batman and Superman enjoy. I wouldn't even attempt a second GL or first Flash film. Wonder Woman is probably not ever going to be bankable. No way no how.WB's focus right now should be getting a Superman franchise up and running again. Maybe, just maybe, they'll strike gold with Snyder's vision. I'd bet against it but he might pull something out of his hat. He has an eye for thre outlandish and visually striking, which might be the shot in the arm Superman needs.There are other properties of course. Not really blockbuster material, but Legion of Super-Heroes could be something. Suicide Squad.Then there is Jack Kirby's Fourth World. Despite never really being a hugely successful comic property, this one could be a hail mary success on the big screen. It would have to be pitch perfect.WB should get the rights to Image and (former) Valiant properties and develop those.

Here's the thing. Most people thought Avengers had a weaker line up before Iron Man broke out because they were all B-list or C-list.But when you handle the characters with care you get stunning results in the long run.The Justice League characters are just as interesting as The Avengers but it all comes down to talent and execution.

You really think so? Man, I hope they do. From your lips to Whedon's ears. I mean, the dude likes to write strong female characters. It would be awesome to see Carol do some damage in a sequel, in my opinion. I wonder what Rallax and Maverikk think about it.

Ms. Marvel is one of the strongest members of the team so no doubt Whedon is going to add her. Question is TA2 or TA3?
  • Like 1

Female leads suck in most action movies because they are Mary Sues. Unexplicable martial skills, size zero yet takes on 3 Hulk-size men at once, everyone is in love with her and OMG so impressed, can`t do wrong and if she ever does, it`s never acknowledged as such by anyone on the screen, some cliche tragic background or revenge seeking. garbage.

Yeah, unless you have the muscle of Linda Hamilton in T2.

Hmm, I hate to say this, but maybe Whedon was indeed the perfect guy to do a Wonder Woman film. :( I am not saying that a WW Whedon film would do TA-sized business, but I am talking in terms of quality.

Hmm, I hate to say this, but maybe Whedon was indeed the perfect guy to do a Wonder Woman film. :( I am not saying that a WW Whedon film would do TA-sized business, but I am talking in terms of quality.

As long as he doesn`t listen to his fanboys and casts Eliza Dushku. She belongs on TV. End of discussion.
  • Like 1

"Traveled from North Bay to East Bay to watch The Avengers. I knew it, all of the cinemas in SF are all sold out."

Why don't these people use fandango? lol