Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Jurassic Park, Aliens, Indiana Jones, Prisoner of Azkaban, Deathly Hallows 2, The Dark Knight, Pirates: Curse of the Black Pearl, Super 8, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Inception, Iron Man 1, Spider-Man 2, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Signs, The Sixth Sense, and more would all like to laugh their asses off at you.How could The Avengers be the best? You really think it tops all those films?

Did I say anywhere it was the single greatest film since the invention of cinema? No. I said it's the first truly perfect summer blockbuster. There's a huge difference. For example, I think TDK is the better film of the two, but it's not the perfect summer blockbuster for many reasons.
  • Like 1

Jurassic Park, Aliens, Indiana Jones, Prisoner of Azkaban, Deathly Hallows 2, The Dark Knight, Pirates: Curse of the Black Pearl, Super 8, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Inception, Iron Man 1, Spider-Man 2, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Signs, The Sixth Sense, and more would all like to laugh their asses off at you.How could The Avengers be the best? You really think it tops all those films?

Where is T2?

Crazy. I got there at 3 and it was already a zoo. Shows were selling out a couple hours in advance. We added about 5 extra shows to meet the demand. Definitely felt like a record breaking Saturday to me, both $$ and attendance wise, it did about as well as any film could.

Wow people weren't exaggerating when they said this was a walk up movie.

Its can be very easy to move up especially if you are well educated with the industry.Yes the past 2 nights and the midnight has been crazy. Tons of people.

We ended up selling out all 18 theaters for our midnight premiere.

Crazy. I got there at 3 and it was already a zoo. Shows were selling out a couple hours in advance. We added about 5 extra shows to meet the demand. Definitely felt like a record breaking Saturday to me, both $$ and attendance wise, it did about as well as any film could.

How is Sunday looking? Any sellouts yet?

Loved Matrix Reloaded's Freeway Action Sequence. This is just the inner fanboy within me talking but dare I say Legendary...

Reloaded's Freeway scene was the only other one that came to mind as being able to rival the TA one for me. It's been awhile, so perhaps I need to rewatch that one. I think it's laughable though that a few people have compared the TA scene to TF3's city scene. They may both be big city destruction scenes but I fail to see where TF3's comes even close. I kept wanting that sequence to just end already. Not exactly the mark of something great. Edited by MovieMan89

Wow people weren't exaggerating when they said this was a walk up movie.

Yeah, this is just like TF2. People trying to catch this 10 minutes before the movie starts were surprised that it was sold out. They are oblivious to the 4 separate lines people are standing in waiting for shows a couple hours in advance.

I meant the part about admitting he was wrong.

That is not in his dictionary.He will still look for negative points, and if he can't find any, he will manufacture some.

Did I say anywhere it was the single greatest film since the invention of cinema? No. I said it's the first truly perfect summer blockbuster. There's a huge difference. For example, I think TDK is the better film of the two, but it's not the perfect summer blockbuster for many reasons.

The reason people are offering up all these other examples is because they're also widely considered "perfect summer blockbusters", not the greatest films ever. On my list I also avoided putting a lot of superhero films and tried to stick to movies that have passed the test of time. Also, while some certainly love TA as much as you do, many others simply like it a lot -- like me. I put it about at Fast Five's level -- very entertaining, tons of fun, some nice character moments, some nice action, but not something that sticks in my mind as one of the greatest ever.