Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

It's ok if you guys dislike Potter. I'm just saying that in the three and a half years that I've followed box office, The Avengers passing DH2 worldwide is the first time I'll ever feel sadness due to box office.

Can you at least try to make a relatable point? You could get to $200m OW with 3D and less frontloaded blockbusters much more easily than $100 OD for a film solely in 2D that doesn't lend itself to midnight records. Because the Avengers only scored $18m midnight? Because superheroes in general (and mostly everything except teen blockbusters) have low midnight in general? Where's your $40m TDKR midnights coming from? Hopes? Wishes?The Hunger Games didn't come close to $80m, let alone $100m OD. Avengers still didn't beat Potter's OD and even with such strong day business and youth appeal it still didn't make it there, so what's your point?I get that it's May, but it's still a valid point. Much more point than yours based on what exactly?

My point is that there is intense interest after TDK which already did $18m in midnights 4 years ago lol your facts are twisting things to make your doubt work. Avengers maybe "special" but what does that make THG. I just see a pattern this year and I see OD making $90m, so I'll gladly be wrong but I think my thoughts have more basis than yours

It's ok if you guys dislike Potter. I'm just saying that in the three and a half years that I've followed box office, The Avengers passing DH2 worldwide is the first time I'll ever feel sadness due to box office.

Nothing's set in stone yet...

I don't see Potter losing records or WW totals as a "loser" thing.Potter & Marvel developped some kind of special relationship.Boxoffice history books will not mention one without the other.Forever tied.

This I agree with.

Nothing to back it up as well either?Hey, you know what I think, Avengers has potential to make $200m next weekend too. Everyone wants to see it more than once, why not all see it again next weekend? :rolleyes:Please, I don't mind if people actually have something to back up with rather than "I think it will be an event and has potential"

What are the chances it can drop under 50% next weekend? For comparison, The Dark Knight made 158.4M after making 18.5M in midnights. The Avengers made about the same at midnight yet made 200M for the weekend.

A 100m second weekend would be even more impressive to me than what we're seeing here, but I think it'll have burnt off a little too much demand by then. Still, Dark Shadows won't hurt it at all. Edited by Hatebox

Yea, it must hurt for the Potter fans. OW record is one thing, that was expected to go down, but WW weekend? The OD record left and TDKR might break that one.

What worldwide weekend?I wish it were TDKR doing it instead of The Avengers. That's what's pissing me off, too.

What would be the biggest thunder stealing?- HG over HP8 dom? (done)- TA over HP8 ww? (!!!)

The second one easily.HP8 was the highest grossing non-Cameron movie. I'd say most Harry Potter fans will miss that spot. They haven't even held on to it for a full year.

I love Potter. And there's nothing to be depressed about. Avengers also crushed the last few records the Spider-Man franchise had. It's bittersweet to be sure, but inevitable. Records are made to be broken. Just be happy your favorite franchise broke them.

Don't watch trailers for movies I want to see so I'll take your word.LOL fanboy has no answer. Typical. You saying potential is there for $90m+ with nothing to back it up but hopes is funny.TDKR has a chance at $300m OW too then? $100m OD, but then it should sell out the same amount for the next 2 days because it's an event. Maybe even an increase on Saturday? It has potential. :rolleyes:

Fanboy? I'm actually one of the most grounded realists on the site. Thanks though for your support, if I wasn't typing on an iPhone I'd be happy and will later write all the reasoning why I believe it can happen.

Nothing to back it up as well either?Hey, you know what I think, Avengers has potential to make $200m next weekend too. Everyone wants to see it more than once, why not all see it again next weekend? :rolleyes:Please, I don't mind if people actually have something to back up with rather than "I think it will be an event and has potential"

It's the sequel to the Dark Knight.It backs itself up.

I love Potter. And there's nothing to be ashamed about. Avengers also crushed the last few records the Spider-Man franchise had. It's bittersweet to be sure, but inevitable. Records are made to be broken. Just be happy your favorite franchise broke them.

Spider-Man is a decade old. Ugh, I wanted The Dark Knight Rises to do this to Potter, not The Avengers. If I'd loved The Avengers, this would be so much easier.I need Dr. Phil.

A 100m second weekend would be even more impressive to me than what we're seeing here, but I think it'll have burnt off a little too much demand by then. Still, Dark Shadows won't hurt it at all.

Don't forget the potential for repeat business.

What worldwide weekend?I wish it were TDKR doing it instead of The Avengers. That's what's pissing me off, too.

I think it's pretty obvious, TA is the phenom this year. TDKR was never destined to do what TDK did.