Shawn

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

This I agree with.

Nothing to back it up as well either?Hey, you know what I think, Avengers has potential to make $200m next weekend too. Everyone wants to see it more than once, why not all see it again next weekend? :rolleyes:Please, I don't mind if people actually have something to back up with rather than "I think it will be an event and has potential"

What are the chances it can drop under 50% next weekend? For comparison, The Dark Knight made 158.4M after making 18.5M in midnights. The Avengers made about the same at midnight yet made 200M for the weekend.

A 100m second weekend would be even more impressive to me than what we're seeing here, but I think it'll have burnt off a little too much demand by then. Still, Dark Shadows won't hurt it at all. Edited by Hatebox

It's ok if you guys dislike Potter. I'm just saying that in the three and a half years that I've followed box office, The Avengers passing DH2 worldwide is the first time I'll ever feel sadness due to box office.

:lol:

Yea, it must hurt for the Potter fans. OW record is one thing, that was expected to go down, but WW weekend? The OD record left and TDKR might break that one.

What worldwide weekend?I wish it were TDKR doing it instead of The Avengers. That's what's pissing me off, too.

What would be the biggest thunder stealing?- HG over HP8 dom? (done)- TA over HP8 ww? (!!!)

The second one easily.HP8 was the highest grossing non-Cameron movie. I'd say most Harry Potter fans will miss that spot. They haven't even held on to it for a full year.

It's ok if you guys dislike Potter. I'm just saying that in the three and a half years that I've followed box office, The Avengers passing DH2 worldwide is the first time I'll ever feel sadness due to box office.

I love Potter. And there's nothing to be depressed about. Avengers also crushed the last few records the Spider-Man franchise had. It's bittersweet to be sure, but inevitable. Records are made to be broken. Just be happy your favorite franchise broke them.

:lol:

I need some fucking ice cream.

Don't watch trailers for movies I want to see so I'll take your word.LOL fanboy has no answer. Typical. You saying potential is there for $90m+ with nothing to back it up but hopes is funny.TDKR has a chance at $300m OW too then? $100m OD, but then it should sell out the same amount for the next 2 days because it's an event. Maybe even an increase on Saturday? It has potential. :rolleyes:

Fanboy? I'm actually one of the most grounded realists on the site. Thanks though for your support, if I wasn't typing on an iPhone I'd be happy and will later write all the reasoning why I believe it can happen.

Nothing to back it up as well either?Hey, you know what I think, Avengers has potential to make $200m next weekend too. Everyone wants to see it more than once, why not all see it again next weekend? :rolleyes:Please, I don't mind if people actually have something to back up with rather than "I think it will be an event and has potential"

It's the sequel to the Dark Knight.It backs itself up.

And just to reiterate everyone's thoughts on this opening

i was like

Posted Image

than

Posted Image

than

Posted Image

Edited by theultimatebiu

I love Potter. And there's nothing to be ashamed about. Avengers also crushed the last few records the Spider-Man franchise had. It's bittersweet to be sure, but inevitable. Records are made to be broken. Just be happy your favorite franchise broke them.

Spider-Man is a decade old. Ugh, I wanted The Dark Knight Rises to do this to Potter, not The Avengers. If I'd loved The Avengers, this would be so much easier.I need Dr. Phil.

Holy sh*t, I have so many pages to read. This thread is exploding again. And I'm so happy to read through so many posts. :lol:

A 100m second weekend would be even more impressive to me than what we're seeing here, but I think it'll have burnt off a little too much demand by then. Still, Dark Shadows won't hurt it at all.

Don't forget the potential for repeat business.

What worldwide weekend?I wish it were TDKR doing it instead of The Avengers. That's what's pissing me off, too.

I think it's pretty obvious, TA is the phenom this year. TDKR was never destined to do what TDK did.

Oh shit, so many new pages! I'm drowning blaaaaaaaaarrghhfv

Posted Image

And just to reiterate everyone's thoughts on this opening

i was like

Posted Image

lol

great!

Ok well TDK opened to $67m 4 years ago with a smaller IMAX share than rises will get OD. I predict double the midnights at least and huge Friday summer business. Call this crazy after Avengers and you show how naive you are I'm sorry. Edited by GiantCALBears

lolgreat!

That gif is actually from a finnish sketch-series Kummeli. :)

Holy sh*t, I have so many pages to read. This thread is exploding again. And I'm so happy to read through so many posts. :lol:

Yes, this thread is reaching at least 10 pph(pages per hour).

I think it's pretty obvious, TA is the phenom this year. TDKR was never destined to do what TDK did.

Don´t rule out TDKR yet.. It will be a monster to