Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Wow 200M! I'm so happy for Whedon and Ruffalo, it's been a long time coming. If Avengers can do this then, imagine if they ever got Justice League movie off the ground and then the ultimate of all -a Marvel vs. DC crossover?!? I know never would happen but Avengers + Justice League :D = gajillion

TA doesn't have emotional attachment and depth, but it's a great summer popcorn flick. That's what people need now, to be entertained. It's gonna have good legs as well. But Oscar talk, give me a break. Even Joss Whedon would laugh at that.

• Like 2

When that agent died, did you feel your heartstrings being pulled at? Did tears cascade down your cheeks when Black Widow pretended to love Hawkeye?

You are THE first person to say that this film TOUCHED you.

Dude, spoilers!

• Founder / Operator

...it's a great summer popcorn flick. That's what people need now, to be entertained. It's gonna have good legs as well. But Oscar talk, give me a break. Even Joss Whedon would laugh at that.

Agreed. Reminds me of Star Trek in 2009 (on a bigger scale, obviously). Edited by ShawnMR

So official estimate is just over 200m. They fudged it for sure lol.

I said yesterday that the estimate will probably come in at something like "200.4mil, it will be closer to 190mil with actuals, i'm certain of it. Edited by stuart360

TH1 is definitely beating Avengers worldwide.

Sorry if you guys don't see it, but it will. It won't win domestic, of that I am sure of and anyone thinking it will is just kidding themselves. It'll have a guaranteed decrease in admissions, but still large enough to maybe get to $480m. $500m is a slight possibility.

TH1 will probably have 20-30% decrease in admissions overseas from the developed markets, and that's understandable considering there was actually a very slight decrease with the LoTR films. But a 20% to 30% drop still gives it gargantuan numbers in developed markets, and the new markets will make it exceed $1b overseas.

• Disbelief 1

• Founder / Operator

I said yesterday that the estimate will probably come in at something like "200mil.4, it will be closer to 190mil with actuals, i'm certain of it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Disney would certainly want the press reporting $200m, and whatever gets reported on Sunday is what they'll use -- even if the actuals are $195 million come Monday.

It's not a thinking or provocative movie in anyway yet that opinion gets a negative response by TA fanboys. It's an amazing action flick IMO

Lack of provocation and lack of depth are not remotely the same thing.

All this 'depth' talk is making me feel sad. Halloween is no longer my favourite movie because all movies need depth and Halloween has the emotional depth of a tampon. Depth is a fundamental requirement for every movie I guess, so Star Wars, Indy and the like need to hand in their 'classic' statuses.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2