Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

To be fair, many big Nolan/TDK fans on here agree that his death had an effect on its gross, obviously it didn't double its gross or anything though.

We will never know, how big the impact really was, but he would have also won this Oscar, if he hadn't died!!

I completely disagree with the notion that Nolan doesn't want his movies to be seen as comic book flicks. They are oozing with comic book characters and storylines.

I'm just going by the common claims that Nolan transcends the comic book genre.....which means they are doing something else. I've also seen it worded that they "rise above the comic genre" which is very insulting. I don't think the genre needs transcending personally. I wouldn't be praising a comedy that "transcended the comedy genre" for instance.

I hate The Penguin in Burton's film. Just utterly far-fetched.

I hate Batman Returns now, its so over the top and weird, very little real action as well, i still love 89 Batman though and like both BB and TDK. Edited by stuart360

leave cameron alone okkkk he's king of the world 'nuff said!

Fuckin A! he made TA`s OW possible with 3D revolution and improved mo`cap that Hulk took good advantage of. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 2

I'm just going by the common claims that Nolan transcends the comic book genre.....which means they are doing something else. I've also seen it worded that they "rise above the comic genre" which is very insulting. I don't think the genre needs transcending personally. I wouldn't be praising a comedy that "transcended the comedy genre" for instance.

I agree. I think they're well-made comic book movies, but they absolutely are comic book movies.

We will never know, how big the impact really was, but he would have also won this Oscar, if he hadn't died!!

One of the Batman fans on here (can't remember who) says his death added about $100mil and i could see that being the case, the film would probably of been a $400mil film even without his death imo of course.

It makes sense. When someone dies everything it's... better. Case in point how people treated Ledger's Joker before his death, people were talking down the movie day in and out, as soon he was dead, it was brilliant even before anyone had seen it. It build momentum for TDK, something BB didn't have but deserved it way more.

If you don't have that good of a memory, just look at more recent deaths like Michael Jackson's. Suddenly he's a martyr, a saint. People naturally cheer for the underdog, having someone doing their last performance in the big screen qualifies as some sort of morbid underdog scenario.

The Ledger death was a factor for sure...but not the factor. You also have to factor in the Joker being the villain. The public loves the Joker...the top two grossing Batman movies are Joker movies. Then there is Ledger's performance...which was very good. I also think BB was better than TDK, but the latter was still well made. (A little overlong for me)

TDK was a perfect storm really....Ledger's death being one of the big lightening bolts. :)

Wait, it went up? Wouldn't it have gone down if you weren't factoring it in to start? SM3 made $4.8m in IMAX.

Yeah, something's wrong with that one. The point is, both TDK and SM3 were near 22M. Avengers is at about 21M, and needs 210M to break the attendance record.

One of the Batman fans on here (can't remember who) says his death added about $100mil and i could see that being the case, the film would probably of been a $400mil film even without his death imo of course.

That was me. And yes I think it would have cruised past $400m even if he lived. BKB on the other hand insists it would have made "more or less the same" as BB.

TA has a hot villain. That`s money in the bank. Chicks dig bad boys and it doesn`t hurt that Tom`s so fuckin winsome his youtube vids from interviews are hot topics. So $600 should be a target.

Edited by fishnets

Wow, 200 Million and I'm sure Disney and Marvel will make sure actuals stay right above. Well guys, even with a 2x mutiplier this is alock for 400 Million. My question is with such a huge opening I guess we need to start talking 500 Million for this. I also believe now The Avengers is the movie of the summer. TDKR is now in an uphill battle against The Avengers.

• Like 1

I agree. I think they're well-made comic book movies, but they absolutely are comic book movies.

I think Nolan saying that he wouldn't use characters like The Penguin and others in his films becuae they weren't realistic helps people have that 'realistic' view of his Batman films.

Wow, 200 Million and I'm sure Disney and Marvel will make sure actuals stay right above. Well guys, even with a 2x mutiplier this is alock for 400 Million. My question is with such a huge opening I guess we need to start talking 500 Million for this. I also believe now The Avengers is the movie of the summer. TDKR is now in an uphill battle against The Avengers.

Little late to the party eh?