Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

DMC's OW was truely phenomenal. It's still the highest OW ticket seller for a non-superhero movie and well ahead of Shrek 3 for the highest OW that's isn't an adaption of a book/comic series....pretty crazy.And idk if we'll ever have enough evidence to prove that TA sold more/less tickets than TDK. It's certainly right around that range though.....

I remember when I went to see DMC on opening day and told my sister I'd never seen lines like that before. She insisted it wasn't that big of a deal, but I wasn't surprised at all how big it ended up after seeing the lines. Not just the lines, but the demographics. People of all ages. Captain Jack is the Indiana Jones of the 2000's. Unfortunately Disney ran it into the ground with shitty scripts for the sequels.

I just finished reading about 75 or so pages. Took me 2 fucking hours but the reading was worth it. Noctis meltdown over TA passing DH2 was epic.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some reading.

Those ticket estimates for other 3D are high IMO. In my area, D-Box tickets are $22.50 and XD tickets are $17.00. The average price I used was $15.30

Spider-man 3 and Dark Knight both have about 21.6 million tickets (add or take a few hundred thousand) when you take into account IMAX of 6.3M and 4.8M respectively.If sunday is strong and avengers ends up with ~204 it will match this. With 207 it should handily surpass the error margin to ensure attendance record.(According to your percentages and pricing spizzer) Edited by eXtacy

And I know now I don't belong in this Universe, where one can not simply like Batman, Avengers and Spider-Man. Or Nolan and Cameron.

Looks like I need to go that other universe then as well

Spider-man 3 and Dark Knight both have about 21.6 million tickets (add or take a few hundred thousand) when you take into account IMAX of 6.3M and 4.8M respectively.If sunday is strong and avengers ends up with ~204 it will match this. With 207 it should handily surpass the error margin to ensure attendance record.(According to your percentages and pricing spizzer)

Yes, assuming the percentages do not change with the actuals, I can live with that.
  • Like 1

Im currently doing a unit called instrument and measurement for my engineering course, it deals a lot with precision and accuracy errors (uncertainty). Past couple of days has really shown me how all those small errors here and there can add up :)

Looks like I need to go that other universe then as well

I'll join you. As moviegoers we should be thankful that we're able to get the movies we're getting.

I'll join you. As moviegoers we should be thankful that we're able to get the movies we're getting.

I agree. For years, we've wanted superhero films like we're getting and finally Hollywood is delivering. It took them many, many, many years, but at last, real superhero films exist.

... Amazing. Honestly, I knew The Avengers was going to be absolutely huge, but I had NO idea it would end up shattering the opening weekend record. I mean, even when taking the 3D and IMAX into consideration, it was just slightly off from The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3- And the estimate could end up going... well, up. That said, this further proves that appealing movies can help cure any "recession" the box office might be having. (As The Hunger Games also did in March) I just wonder though- How far will it go? Taking out the midnight, the film's Saturday number went UP 13%. Even in May, that's unprecedented for a movie with this much hype- Especially when the Friday numbers were already huge without the help of a "monster" midnight serving.I know many people who still haven't seen the movie, and several, myself included, plan to see it again. The word of mouth is just incredible. Maybe this wasn't a very "in-depth" plotted movie, but the plot was good and fun to follow, fueled by a witty script with well timed action/spectacle and comedy, but led most by the well thawed out characters played by perfect actors/actresses- In other words, not just popcorn entertainment, but a true "spectacle." I think this has a legitimate shot at $500 million domestic, as well as a shot at a $85-90M+ second weekend record.

Hey guysso, im in line for a 9:15 showing, and its not even 8pm!Anyway, just curious, is there a clip after the credits or what?

There's a mid credits clip and then one after the credits too. Stay until the end.

... Amazing.Honestly, I knew The Avengers was going to be absolutely huge, but I had NO idea it would end up shattering the opening weekend record. I mean, even when taking the 3D and IMAX into consideration, it was just slightly off from The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3- And the estimate could end up going... well, up.That said, this further proves that appealing movies can help cure any "recession" the box office might be having. (As The Hunger Games also did in March) I just wonder though- How far will it go? Taking out the midnight, the film's Saturday number went UP 13%. Even in May, that's unprecedented for a movie with this much hype- Especially when the Friday numbers were already huge without the help of a "monster" midnight serving.I know many people who still haven't seen the movie, and several, myself included, plan to see it again. The word of mouth is just incredible. Maybe this wasn't a very "in-depth" plotted movie, but the plot was good and fun to follow, fueled by a witty script with well timed action/spectacle and comedy, but led most by the well thawed out characters played by perfect actors/actresses- In other words, not just popcorn entertainment, but a true "spectacle." I think this has a legitimate shot at $500 million domestic, as well as a shot at a $85-90M+ second weekend record.

At this point, $500M is close to locked and a $85M second weekend is very likely. That isn't even fanboy dreaming, but just being realistic.