Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks that The Avengers 2 will have a smaller opening weekend?The Avengers was really a once-in-a-lifetime event; a culmination of four years of popular movies, with a bunch of superstars packed into one mega-film. It was unlike anything we have ever seen. The Avengers 2 is just going to be another sequel to a popular movie. As I type this, I don't feel myself as excited for TA2 as I was for last Friday night, and that has nothing to do with quality. I loved The Avengers.Of course, there are a number of factors to consider, like the quality of CA2 IM3 and Thor 2, the hype/trailers of TA2, etc. but for now I'm predicting a slightly lower opening weekend for the sequel.

• Like 1

I don't think even Avengers 2 will top this. It will be "smaller scale" or something.

I think it's too soon to even guess. What if they add Spider-man? What if they do a Black Panther movie or something and it takes off? There are a lot of directions the sequel could go. And I think Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will just continue building the hype.

Am I the only one who thinks that The Avengers 2 will have a smaller opening weekend?The Avengers was really a once-in-a-lifetime event; a culmination of four years of popular movies, with a bunch of superstars packed into one mega-film. It was unlike anything we have ever seen. The Avengers 2 is just going to be another sequel to a popular movie. As I type this, I don't feel myself as excited for TA2 as I was for last Friday night, and that has nothing to do with quality. I loved The Avengers.Of course, there are a number of factors to consider, like the quality of CA2 IM3 and Thor 2, the hype/trailers of TA2, etc. but for now I'm predicting a slightly lower opening weekend for the sequel.

Hmm, yes, you are. It only won't happen if Marvel/Disney drops the ball at epic proportions, and after what happened with The Avengers, I doubt they ever will.

One thing I will say....i think the movie's success will really be a shot in the arm for Spider-Man.Yes it might be from Sony, but Marvel are still involved and the good-will there is towards these characters after Avengers' insane reaction can only bode well. He's the next off the conveyor belt and the Marvel Universe is something people can't get enough of right now.I've never doubted TAS will be a big grosser, but I get the feeling it might be bigger than many are expecting. After all, it is the next of the superhero movies. Plus there's no evidence to suggest people aren't salivating at the prospect of the webslinger back on the big screen after the monster performances of the first three films.The box office as a whole is in a really good state right now with good movies that are exciting people. Good movies means people will keep coming back.

While The Avengers is arguably my favoriet movie of all time, Spider-Man is my favorite character of all time. There's no other movie I'm rooting more than Amazing Spider-Man in this USA's summer. Once again Spider-Man is the underdog, I really hope that Webb's take is something I can get behind of and that the general audience will embrace it. I'm hopeful. Loved your perspective about this.

While The Avengers is arguably my favoriet movie of all time, Spider-Man is my favorite character of all time. There's no other movie I'm rooting more than Amazing Spider-Man in this USA's summer. Once again Spider-Man is the underdog, I really hope that Webb's take is something I can get behind of and that the general audience will embrace it. I'm hopeful. Loved your perspective about this.

Can we be friends? Thats my EXACT thoughts. Avengers is now favorite, but character wise Spider Man is number one with me, and i know everyone is underestimating TASM, but i feel itll surprise because it IS spiderman and the footage looks great, im seeing a 300M+ finish, even with TDK coming out after
  • Like 2

I see no reason why it can't pull in around $300 million. Plus its opening on one of the more lucrative holiday frames which can only help its cause. Any other summer and it would be the major tentpole of the season.

Is $220M too much demanding? :)I can see the headlines: "The Avengers shock America with smashing $220M at the box office in the opening weekend!" :circles:

In fact, i'm crazy for rounded numbers (5 or 0)I would even prefer a 205 (over 207, yes! lol) if we couldn't have 210.But a 222 would be so cool.I like repeated numbers too.(if only Titanic could reach 666 but it's impossible now...)

I think it's too soon to even guess. What if they add Spider-man? What if they do a Black Panther movie or something and it takes off? There are a lot of directions the sequel could go. And I think Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will just continue building the hype.

Spidey: NO ( i want to throw away New Avengers links)Black Panther: YES! (such a mysterious figure)

is this the longest ever since actuals have been released? really making sure they get an accurate # I guess lol

No, and its not even that unusual. Usually around 12:30-1pm-ish PST for the big films.