Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Yeah lets not bring a crappy cam version into this, AVATAR had a dvdscr out on launch week and the dvdscr is the most downloaded film ever, no one ever brought that up with AVATAR though strangely enough even though that would of had a decent effect on its gross.

• Like 2

What about a 'The Avengers vs Justice League' film?. :D

Even if i'm quite a geek, i'm not interested. Almost disgusted because "too much is too much".Like saying: who want chocolate, banana, fries, beans, m&m's all rolled in one hot cookie?

Am I the only one who thinks that The Avengers 2 will have a smaller opening weekend?The Avengers was really a once-in-a-lifetime event; a culmination of four years of popular movies, with a bunch of superstars packed into one mega-film. It was unlike anything we have ever seen. The Avengers 2 is just going to be another sequel to a popular movie. As I type this, I don't feel myself as excited for TA2 as I was for last Friday night, and that has nothing to do with quality. I loved The Avengers.Of course, there are a number of factors to consider, like the quality of CA2 IM3 and Thor 2, the hype/trailers of TA2, etc. but for now I'm predicting a slightly lower opening weekend for the sequel.

I agree. And no, it doesn't take anything away from the success of the original.

Still some are throwing $700 million out there as a total possibility. LMAOJust like the vast majority of opening weekend record holders, just watch the runaway train slow down dramatically. It was mere weeks ago Hunger Games made over $150 million in 3 days with no 3D. Which side of $400 million is that at again right now? Might just squeak over. Spidey 3 - unheard of figure in May of 2007. Finished nowhere near $400 million. I remember the hysteria when Lost World did over $90 million memorial weekend and was going to be a juggernaut. Total didn't even hit $250 million. All I'm saying is people need to relax and stop making insane forecasts based on an opening weekend.

LOL... probably not.

To be honest, that scene never bothered me much, there were many other scenes that annoyed me more including the Blu-Ray releases with the stupid 'No......Nooooooo' at the end of ROTJ when Vader throws the Emperor over the ledge, Lucas is so stupid that he doesn't realise that it worked so much better when Vader didn't speak, you just saw his face/mask and amazingly you could feel his pain through the mask.

Come to think of it, we've gotten a lot of "666"s at the box office recently. Maybe the Mayans aren't so far from the truth. :ph34r:

Warner could use this for The Hobbit marketing:

"before the mayans destroy us...let's go once again to the Shire..."

SH films that opened on Friday with over 3 multipliers since 2000:Spider-Man 3.52TDK 3.37Iron Man 3.23Only one of those films was a sequel, TDK, but TDK had Summer weekdays which served to spread its OW over the entire week due to sellouts and people who decided to wait. Films that don't open in Summer tend to have their OW concentrated in their first three days due to school, work, etc.Superhero film multipliers for May Friday openers since 2003:X2(Good WOM): 2.51SM3(Poor WOM): 2.22Iron Man (Exc WOM): 3.23Wolverine(Poor WOM): 2.11Thor(Good WOM): 2.75Iron Man was a movie that grew on its WOM, so I think that's the absolute best TA can do. That has to be considered the high end.207.4 x 3.23 = 670mX2 had good WOM and was a part of a very front loaded fan based franchise so I think X2 would be a good low end:207.4 x 2.51 = 520mThor had good but not excellent WOM. But Thor did not have crazy midnights so I feel Thor would be a good middle ground:207.4 x 2.75= 570mI think TA is headed for 550-600, with a possibility for a bit more or less than those two extremes.

I love reading the first couple pages of this thread. Most people are slightly disappointed, but trying to console themselves that 150M-160M is not that bad of an opening. Who would have guessed that ~325 pages later we'd be talking about our first 200M+ opening!

Still some are throwing $700 million out there as a total possibility.LMAOJust like the vast majority of opening weekend record holders, just watch the runaway train slow down dramatically.It was mere weeks ago Hunger Games made over $150 million in 3 days with no 3D. Which side of $400 million is that at again right now? Might just squeak over.Spidey 3 - unheard of figure in May of 2007. Finished nowhere near $400 million.I remember the hysteria when Lost World did over $90 million memorial weekend and was going to be a juggernaut. Total didn't even hit $250 million.All I'm saying is people need to relax and stop making insane forecasts based on an opening weekend.

Hunger Games: no familiesSpider-Man 3: fans rejected itLost World: too dark, too long, "less cool" than Men in BlackThe Avengers: families! Fans LOVE! Shiny, no long, COOL factor x100