Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

It was announced today that The Amazing Spider-Man will be the first film to ever play on over 1,000 screens (1,091) this weekend.

Please please please be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

It was announced today that The Amazing Spider-Man will be the first film to ever play on over 1,000 screens (1,091) this weekend.

:oWonderful :DBut only now in a so big market? :o I mean in Russia (not mature market) it's already 1,830 screns for the record.

:oWonderful :DBut only now in a so big market? :o I mean in Russia (not mature market) it's already 1,830 screns for the record.

High prices and great legs..OW's are rarely big

Japan only has 3,400 movie screens and 800/900 films are released each year in Japan now. That's more than the U.S, and I think only second to India. That's a big reason this is the first time a film has ever been released on more than 1,000 screens (so many films released every month). There are also film contracts, largely with Distributor Toho, that allows some of their biggest films to never lose any screens for months and sometimes even half a year or longer in release.

Japan only has 3,400 movie screens and 800/900 films are released each year in Japan now. That's more than the U.S, and I think only second to India. That's a big reason this is the first time a film has ever been released on more than 1,000 screens (so many films released every month). There are also film contracts, largely with Distributor Toho, that allows some of their biggest films to never lose any screens for months and sometimes even half a year or longer in release.

I understand better now :)

About 1/3?That's inconceivable! :o

So can it break 2 day OW record. Is that held by Sith?

Impossible in Yen and admissions, and highly unlikely in USD. I think Sith holds the opening weekend in USD, but I'm not 100% sure (don't trust BOM). Either way, just because it doesn't open to record numbers doesn't equal disappointment. Japan isn't a country where record openings and totals happen often like the rest of the world. Matrix Reloaded still holds the opening weekend record in Yen and admissions.

About 1/3?

That's inconceivable! :o

It's definitely surprising. I'm working on the Weekend Forecast now, but I'm holding off on posting it since reports of screen count loss for holdovers is being reported and it's never happened on this scale before. I'm not saying holdovers are losing a majority of their screens, just more than usual. The film I'm most interesting in finding data on is MIB 3 since it could collapse being a 3D release and playing on over 800 screens itself. Edited by Corpse

June 30 - July 1

Weekend Forecast

1 (new) The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) ¥750-800 million ($9.5-10 million), Week 1

2 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) ¥120-130 million ($1.5-1.7 million), Week 3

3 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) ¥100-110 million ($1.2-1.4 million), Week 4

4 (new) The Rum Diary (Showgate) ¥70-75 million ($900-950,000), Week 1

5 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) ¥65-70 million ($800-850,000), Week 10

6 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) ¥55-60 million ($700-750,000), Week 6

7 (new) Rinjo: The Movie (TOEI) ¥50-55 million ($625-675,000), Week 1

8 (5) LOVE, Masao-jun Ga Iku (Shochiku) ¥35-40 million ($450-500,000), Week 2

9 (6) The Final Judgement (Nikkatsu) ¥30-35 million ($375-425,000), Week 5

10 (7) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) ¥20-25 million ($250-300,000), Week 7

Sony, Hollywood, has alot riding on The Amazing Spider-Man this weekend. If it fails, or even disappoints a little, 2012 is all but lost for Hollywood and will become the worst year on record (at least in the past 15 or so years) for them and they're likely to finish below a 30% market share. Sony even managed to get the film on 1/3 of all screens in the country, easily setting a new screen count record. But will that be enough? I'm not sure.

Last weekend's previews were solid, but lower than Terminator Salvation and Resident Evil: Extinction. One reason for this may have been that last week/weekend was poor overall, but regardless it wasn't an encouraging sign for Spider-Man. On the positive side, the massive screen count is nearly double those films and the market is wide open and prepared for Summer's blockbusters. Good reviews will also help, though they'll likely only matter later on.

At the moment I'm going to predict it'll achieve the biggest opening weekend of the year with ¥750-800 million (about $10 million), but I won't be surprised if it does reach the 1 billion yen ($12.5 million) target it's been expected to all year. For the curious, an opening near my prediction would result in a final total between 5-6 billion yen ($70 million avg).

Dark Shadows appears to be losing a lot of screens (it's playing on 148 Toho Cinema screens, and that's reportedly being cut to 14 (!)), and there are a couple more openers that could bump it out of the Top 10. The first is Always, a Korea Import being distributed by Pony Canyon. The other is Beyond the One Day: Story of 2PM & 2AM, a documentary of the band, being released exclusively at Toho Cinemas by Toho's Video Division.

Weekend Milestone Watch:

Snow White and the Huntsman will become the 36th film this year to exceed the 1 billion yen ($12.5 million) mark.

Thermae Romae may hit 5.6 billion yen ($71 million) and achieve ten weeks in the Top 5.

MIB 3 should break 3 billion yen ($38 million) and become the seventh film this year to reach that milestone if it can avoid a collapse caused by Spider-Man's opening. Major 3D releases don't co-exist very well.

Edited by Corpse

At the moment I'm going to predict it'll achieve the biggest opening weekend of the year with ¥750-800 million (about $10 million), but I won't be surprised if it does reach the 1 billion yen ($12.5 million) target it's been expected to all year. For the curious, an opening near my prediction would result in a final total between 5-6 billion yen ($70 million avg).

I hope you're right :P

It will include the previews, yes, but that shouldn't diminish the opening. The 190,000 that went to the previews last weekend would have definitely come out opening weekend anyway.And always keep in mind opening weekends in Japan are never big, at least when compared to the rest of the world. Usually just 1-3 films make more than $10 million each year.

Edited by Corpse