Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

31 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

People predicting $75M lifetime... See $100M drop from original!.. If drops are like Frozen → Frozen II then let's forget if Avatar 2 exist

Is there any general consensus (from Japanese people or non-Japanese people) on why Frozen 2 had a huge drop from Frozen 1?

I know it was still a big hit since it's #21 on the all time list

Do the Japanese GA just not like sequels now? Chamber of Secrets wasn't a huge drop from Philosopher's Stone but Azkaban was

So my theory is that maybe it's the more "adult", darker and mature tone (which was already evident from the very first teaser) that turned off some of the audience away from Frozen 2 (much like Azkaban did in its time)

Frozen 1 had more of a really cute and whimsical tone and tbh it gives me fairytale/magical girl shoujo vibes and combine that with a great Japanese dubbing and the unique "sisterhood" story and of course the mega hit power ballad, it's easy to see why it was such a cultural phenomenon in Japan

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From 12/16  Cameron's "Avatar: Way of Water" will be screened at 1466 Screens nationwide, which is the largest number in the history of Japanese domestic movie theaters. Previous record was held by Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" (1092 screens) back in 2012!!

Here is the article for further reading

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2260607/full/

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From 12/16  Cameron's "Avatar: Way of Water" will be screened at 1466 Screens nationwide, which is the largest number in the history of Japanese domestic movie theaters. Previous record was held by Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" (1092 screens) back in 2012!!

Corpse has Mugen Train at 1400+ so seems off to me. Weird for Avatar though as mimorin seat count is not that impressive.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Corpse has Mugen Train at 1400+ so seems off to me. Weird for Avatar though as mimorin seat count is not that impressive.

1400 is really a huge number but I guess it's closer to 800 because article won't simply play with Demon Slayer's popularity. I will try to find out the correct number 

I think what basically is killing this film - long runtime and visuals that can't be enjoyed in normal screen.. which end up boost IMAX but cannibalise non-premium format shows (Dolby is too getting a hit)

Early score are 3.8/3.9 in Yahoo/Filmarks respectively. Eiga is still at 4.2 while MovieWalker doesn't have a score so far

Edited by Issac Newton

Even though it is performing okay, over at WOKJ Corpse explains among the reasons Avatar 2 might disappoint.

>Common precedent of sequels to high performing predecessors declining.
>No novelty factor to bring in casuals. (Seeing films, any film, in 3D was a huge craze in Japan from 2010-2012 until it died.)
>No notable home video sales or TV broadcast ratings for the original. (Suggests audiences were lukewarm to it.)
>13 year wait. (Japan's demographics have changed/aged a good bit since then, pop. decline)
>Disney release. (They're really, really, really struggling in Japan.)

Edited by Psylocke