Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

15 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I assume my question might be a bit (or more than a bit) stupid but im too curious not to ask

Dont know to many examples of a hit movie absolutetly plummeting in a single territory (not including domestic) while doing decent to good business everywhere else, seems like not even incredible legs will get it where we want it to get

considering how theyre at risk on losing upwards of 200 million over all 4 sequels if nothing is done, is there any possibility that disney might implement a japan specific rescue mission?

Send Cameron to japanese media to talk about how his purpose in life is to make photo-realisitc anime girls (alita and kiri), invite a bunch of japanese influencers to screeners and QA's, work out deals with imax theaters, and ramp up the ad campaign 

has something like that ever happened for any other movie? specifically post release

Japan is a sequel-adverse country, nothing can be done there. Also FYI even if it matched 1:1 the original in yen (this was never going to happen) it would lose 70M just from exchange rate gap. A reasonable good 10b yen performance would've lost it 100.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Send Cameron to japanese media to talk about how his purpose in life is to make photo-realisitc anime girls (alita and kiri), invite a bunch of japanese influencers to screeners and QA's, work out deals with imax theaters, and ramp up the ad campaign 

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I assume my question might be a bit (or more than a bit) stupid but im too curious not to ask

Dont know to many examples of a hit movie absolutetly plummeting in a single territory (not including domestic) while doing decent to good business everywhere else, seems like not even incredible legs will get it where we want it to get

considering how theyre at risk on losing upwards of 200 million over all 4 sequels if nothing is done, is there any possibility that disney might implement a japan specific rescue mission?

has something like that ever happened for any other movie? specifically post release

They couldn't help Endgame in it's 2nd Weekend, losing to film running on it's 3rd Weekend. How do you expect Disney to save Avatar?

If Disney really want to save it's cinematic experience in Japan, then 

1. Pulling out those streaming platform from Japan (or that 45-days theatrical exclusive)

2. Don't release BD/DVD unless the film is earning negligible (Frozen II would have defeated Titanic if not release in BD/DVD early)

3. Stop that simultaneous release with US (Many films end up with bad days - Look WF went head-to-head with SUZUME's when they already know that people would prefer SUZUME's over WF)

4. Not a favourable market for sequel (So, not waste money on promotion/marketing)

5. Release their film in anime format but not 3DCGI which is still a new concept here (30:70 success rate)

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

They couldn't help Endgame in it's 2nd Weekend, losing to film running on it's 3rd Weekend. How do you expect Disney to save Avatar?

If Disney really want to save it's cinematic experience in Japan, then 

1. Pulling out those streaming platform from Japan (or that 45-days theatrical exclusive)

2. Don't release BD/DVD unless the film is earning negligible (Frozen II would have defeated Titanic if not release in BD/DVD early)

3. Stop that simultaneous release with US (Many films end up with bad days - Look WF went head-to-head with SUZUME's when they already know that people would prefer SUZUME's over WF)

4. Not a favorable market for sequel (So, not waste money on promotion/marketing)

5. Release their film in anime format but not 3DCGI which is still a new concept here (30:70 success rate)

Honestly, there had been no Good Disney movies past few years.  That's the only thing.  When Disney will release something Good, It will perform. After 2019, I have seen all movies Disney have released and none of the Big Movies were any good. 

Avatar 2 isn't that great. People in Japan don't like full 3DCGI already as you said, Avatar 1 was completely different because it gave almost new meaning to 3D Cinema. Avatar 2 on other is same but better 3D cinema.  It's all about "New" vs. "Better"   New things will attract more people but better will attract less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Honestly, there had been no Good Disney movies past few years.  That's the only thing.  When Disney will release something Good, It will perform. After 2019, I have seen all movies Disney have released and none of the Big Movies were any good.

I won't agree with this straight but I do believe Soul, Luca &Encanto did have potential but was messed with their release strategy 

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Avatar 2 isn't that great. People in Japan don't like full 3DCGI already as you said, Avatar 1 was completely different because it gave almost new meaning to 3D Cinema. Avatar 2 on other is same but better 3D cinema. 

Ratings does reveal that movie was appealing more to critics rather than audiences! Debut 3rd in admits taking a huge share in IMAX

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

It's all about "New" vs. "Better"   New things will attract more people but better will attract less. 

+1

• Like 1

『アバター:ウェイ・オブ・ウォーター』全世界134の国と地域でNO.1!日本では洋画作品NO.1!世界中のメディアが絶賛!本年度アカデミー賞最有力候補!

2022年12月19日

日本中が“アバター体験”に酔いしれる。洋画作品NO.1プレミアムラージフォーマット(PLF)が高稼働!3D興行収入が68%を超えで全国満席続出!

12月16日(金)に公開された本作は、公開3日間で興行収入6億4,637万円、354,263名を動員、週末動員ランキング洋画No.1の大ヒットスタートを記録。全米でも1億3,400万ドル(*日本円で約182億円)叩きだし、全世界では公開した全ての国でNO.1スタートを記録、合計で4億3,450万ドル(*日本円で約590億円)を超える数字を記録し、世界中がアバター・ブルー一色の週末になりました。(1ドル136円換算・12月19日時点)※Box Office Mojo 調べ 

¥646,370,000 / 354,263 admits in 3-days!

No.1 Foreign Film in Debut! 68% of gross is from 3D

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Numbers Updated to include Re-release!

Your Name - ¥25.03B → ¥25.17B

Weathering With You - ¥14.19B → ¥14.23B

Excellent, I hate when rankings aren't updated with the various re-releases

7 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

With its aging and declining population it is safe to say the Japanese Box Office has reached its peak.

Defeating Spirited Away with a difference of almost ¥9B is still insane and at the time of pandemic will always be remembered

Ehh we won't see ¥30B anymore and ¥20B will be a rarity but 1/2/3 film should exceed ¥10B each year

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I guess Japan have no interest in 3D any more. This movie still emphasized 3D and they rejected it big time. Only comp I can think of is Alice in Wonderland sequel which dropped like 80% or so. Avatar basically pulled an Alice here. 

you would think Japan will be one to like gimmicks like 3D. I don't think 3D could be reason for failure. they can simply watch in 2D if they don't like 3D.

• Knock It Off 1