Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

23 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Should be fine if we look Post-CoVid-19 Disney Film. But, earn less than a quarter of Aladdin &B&TB won't be good.

Disney should either give up Theatrical Rights or pull off their streaming service. A change in Distribution is must need.

they can increase the time between theatrical nd streaming debut ! 

10 minutes ago, froztking said:

they can increase the time between theatrical nd streaming debut ! 

They did for Avatar 2, about a 6 month window. However, its run was still basically finished after 2 months. Even with longer windows, maybe it will take a while to condition audiences away from Disney+ and into theaters.

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

They did for Avatar 2, about a 6 month window. However, its run was still basically finished after 2 months. Even with longer windows, maybe it will take a while to condition audiences away from Disney+ and into theaters.

obviously  it would take more than a yr to correct the wrings they did in last 2 yrs  specially in animation division they need frozen 3 , zootopia 2 etc with good critical reception !! original stories won't do much unless they get masterpiece level reviews , high promotions nd perfect rls date  

48 minutes ago, froztking said:

obviously  it would take more than a yr to correct the wrings they did in last 2 yrs  specially in animation division they need frozen 3 , zootopia 2 etc with good critical reception !! original stories won't do much unless they get masterpiece level reviews , high promotions nd perfect rls date  

Just wait for Incredibles 3 lol.

Japan Box Office 
June 10

1 #TheLittleMermaid$1.8M/ $3M 🆕
2 #SuperMarioBros $1.1M/$83M 
3 #怪物(Monster) $0.76M/ $5.56M 
4 AKOGAREWOKOETA SAMURAI TACHI $0.6M/$3.6M 
5 #FastX $0.6M/$21.9M 
6 #M3GAN $0.48M/$0.8M 🆕
8 #DetectiveConan26 $0.4M /$94.1M

Source:

Edited by Nanatri
  • Like 1

Japan Box Office 
Wknd : June 9-11 (Est).

1 #TheLittleMermaid $5M 🆕
2 #SuperMarioBros $3.2M/$84.6M (-20%)
3 #怪物(Monster) $2.1M/ $6.36M (-9%)
4 AKOGAREWOKOETA SAMURAI TACHI $1.5M/$4.2M 
5 #FastX $1.5M/$22.6M 
6 #M3GAN $1.25M 🆕
7 #DetectiveConan26 $1.05M /$94.6M 

Source

Edited by Nanatri

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

$5.0M OW

- 61.33% Aladdin ($12.93M)

LC Drop is better with only 49.9%

Do weekday numbers also get reported ? or will we have to wait till 2nd weekend to see how it legged out for the week ?

1 minute ago, ogkalu said:

Do weekday numbers also get reported ? or will we have to wait till 2nd weekend to see how it legged out for the week ?

From Partial Count, I, JK &Franspeech can do estimates. Not hard. Even, Corpse can do at WorldOfKJ Forum. Official reporting are available only for Weekend. Sometimes, that do for weekdays when certain milestone are passed like ¥1.0B, and so.

Who's ready for the shadiest tracking method you've ever seen? Okay here we go, I looked at the google trends for "Spider-Man" (the character), "Spiderman" (the search term), "Spider-Verse" and "Spiderverse" in Japan for the past 5 years to see if I could get an idea on how ATSV will do when it opens next week. In the absence of actual proper tracking data which I'm sure someone else will provide this was the next best option.

Super-Tool-Collage.jpg

The "Spider-Man" and "Spiderman" peaks are dominated by NWH in early 2022 ($36m), with the current level of interest at around 25% to 55% of that depending on which chart you look at. This points to a $9m - $20m finish for ATSV.

The "Spider-Verse" and "Spiderverse" peaks are at all-time highs which to me signals that the sequel should improve on the predecessor. In both charts the current level of interest is about 2x what it was when ITSV released ($8m) which points to a $16m finish.

Exchange rates will probably differ but I'm just doing this to get a ballpark figure. Clearly it's not gonna suddenly explode and do $100m like Mario but I think it's likely to improve on ITSV at the very least.

And now over to @Issac Newtonfor some real analysis! 

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Who's ready for the shadiest tracking method you've ever seen? Okay here we go, I looked at the google trends for "Spider-Man" (the character), "Spiderman" (the search term), "Spider-Verse" and "Spiderverse" in Japan for the past 5 years to see if I could get an idea on how ATSV will do when it opens next week. In the absence of actual proper tracking data which I'm sure someone else will provide this was the next best option.

Super-Tool-Collage.jpg

The "Spider-Man" and "Spiderman" peaks are dominated by NWH in early 2022 ($36m), with the current level of interest at around 25% to 55% of that depending on which chart you look at. This points to a $9m - $20m finish for ATSV.

The "Spider-Verse" and "Spiderverse" peaks are at all-time highs which to me signals that the sequel should improve on the predecessor. In both charts the current level of interest is about 2x what it was when ITSV released ($8m) which points to a $16m finish.

Exchange rates will probably differ but I'm just doing this to get a ballpark figure. Clearly it's not gonna suddenly explode and do $100m like Mario but I think it's likely to improve on ITSV at the very least.

And now over to @Issac Newtonfor some real analysis! 

if it doubles its gross in local currency, it will gross $12.9m at current ER

• Like 1

Last one "ITSV" did ¥900M. ATSV will compete against "Flash" among Openers (Black Clover movie doesn't seem to do much. But, that's the only local Film opening), Among Holdovers - "The Little Mermaid", "Mario", "Monster" &WBC Documentary 

Holdovers are strong & I don't think it will go up by much. Maybe ¥1.5B or around "LightYear" I could expect.

ITSV OW Breakdown - Debuted 4th

OD - ¥93,717,200 / 53,083 admits ~ $0.9M

OP- ¥160,052,800 / 98,074 admits ~ $1.4M

OW- ¥253,770,000 / 151,157 admits ~ $2.3M

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

Today I learned that Japan's largest IMAX theater, Grand Cinema Sunshine in Toshima Tokyo, is showing The Little Mermaid with English audio and Japanese subtitles.

Kind of surprised but that sounds like a good experience if I went there. I'd be able to enjoy the movie there because I know English of course.

The OW of $5 million seems pretty nice to me, considering I don't think the original Little Mermaid was extremely popular in Japan.

Edit:

Also see that 109 Cinemas Osaka Expocity's IMAX, a similar venue has a subtitled showing as well.

Did subtitled showings become more popular in Japan? Or is it because it's a musical?

Edited by cannastop

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Today I learned that Japan's largest IMAX theater, Grand Cinema Sunshine in Toshima Tokyo, is showing The Little Mermaid with English audio and Japanese subtitles.

Kind of surprised but that sounds like a good experience if I went there. I'd be able to enjoy the movie there because I know English of course.

The OW of $5 million seems pretty nice to me, considering I don't think the original Little Mermaid was extremely popular in Japan.

Edit:

Also see that 109 Cinemas Osaka Expocity's IMAX, a similar venue has a subtitled showing as well.

Did subtitled showings become more popular in Japan? Or is it because it's a musical?

Bro, The original Little Mermaid is still huge in Japan, they have an entire section of Disneyland Tokyo dedicated just to that movie. Also the Laserdisc copies of the movie sold like hotcakes in the 90s

Edited by Boxx93

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Edit:

Imported films in general usually get a mix of sub and dub shows in Japan.

Edited by JustLurking

6 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Bro, The original Little Mermaid is still huge in Japan, they have an entire section of Disneyland Tokyo dedicated just to that movie. Also the Laserdisc copies of the movie sold like hotcakes in the 90s

oh... I was just thinking of the box office totals but I guess that's right too.

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Imported films in general usually get a mix of sub and dub shows in Japan.

I last tracked Japanese box office in 2016 for Zootopia and it was news there when it got subtitled showings... like it was a special thing that happened.

anyways I got this from Corpse:

Funny you mention that because this past week I was seeing people discussing that the subtitled showings were doing oddly well. It's even the first time I've seen people bring it up. Dubbed showings generally perform much better. I don't know if the subtitled showings/sales are equal or greater than the dubbed showings, but they're doing well enough to generate discussion at least.

I don't know if I'd link it to being a musical, the dub singing cast is usually very good in these cases, so I'm not exactly sure why this film seems to be unusual in this case. I feel I would have noticed people mentioning it with all the other musicals of the past.

Edited by cannastop