Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

How is Godzilla Minus One Japan run received there so far? As an outsider, i kind of get the feeling that its Japan run is good, but not anywhere near as exceptional than Shin Godzillas run, while Minus One has much more success overseas.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

How is Godzilla Minus One Japan run received there so far? As an outsider, i kind of get the feeling that its Japan run is good, but not anywhere near as exceptional than Shin Godzillas run, while Minus One has much more success overseas.

That is pretty much right. Good run, but it's no Shin Godzilla.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Closer to ¥5.0B ($34.65M)

Unless im mistaken that would be better than all of the MonsterVerse and Millenium Era Godzilla films, while obviously not coming close to Shin Godzilla (though that movie was just a different beast). I would imagine Toho would be very satesfied with such a result.

I hope Minus One starts a new series of Japanese Godzilla films. Standalone movies are great, but i would really love to see where they would go from Minus One. After all, Yamazaki i belive has already said that he would like to make another one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Unless im mistaken that would be better than all of the MonsterVerse and Millenium Era Godzilla films, while obviously not coming close to Shin Godzilla (though that movie was just a different beast). I would imagine Toho would be very satesfied with such a result.

I hope Minus One starts a new series of Japanese Godzilla films. Standalone movies are great, but i would really love to see where they would go from Minus One. After all, Yamazaki i belive has already said that he would like to make another one.

It is. I see no reason why Toho'd be disappointed with it. From what I know, that's the best second film result...ever...for the Japanese Godzilla series. Raids Again didn't come close to 54, Biollante was a financial disappointment, and Megaguirus was too. There's always a drop-off but for it to be much healthier like this is what Toho wanted to see, in addition to the significant increase overseas with them distributing it themselves in the US (therefore keeping more of the profit) is probably enough that they'll do Minus Two/Plus One/whatever they call it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes, Indeed -1.0 really did an amazing result in Japan in Comps to other Post-CoVid-19 Live Action releases. It will easily cross "Rurouni Kenshin: The Final" (¥4.35B), "Shin Ultraman" (¥4.44B), "Tokyo Revengers" (¥4.50B), "Don't Call It Mystery" (¥4.74B) Leaving only two "Kingdom" Films - ¥5.16B &¥5.56B at the Top. (I am excluding "ARASHI" here)

I am not sure about Toho but the Director do wants to make another one - 「ずっとゴジラの作品を撮りたかったので、50年来の夢がかなった瞬間。でも、寂しくて…もう一本くらい撮らしてもらえないかな」

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20231103-V3O6JB7ILBNS7FLHIXCOF5PRRE/

• Like 3

Top Imported Films ~ 2023

R. Title Release Date Distributor Gross
1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie 28.04.2023 Toho-Towa ¥14.02B
2. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One 21.07.2023 Towa Pictures ¥5.43B
3. Avatar: The Way Of Water 16.12.2022 Disney ¥4.31B
4. Fast X 19.05.2023 Toho-Towa ¥3.82B
5. The Little Mermaid 09.06.2023 Disney ¥3.40B
6. Elemental 04.08.2023 Disney ¥2.69B
7. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 30.06.2023 Disney ¥2.60B
8. BTS: Yet to Come in Cinema 01.02.2023 Avex Pictures ¥2.53B
9. Haunted Mansion 01.09.2023 Disney ¥2.17B
10. Meg 2: The Trench 25.08.2023 Warner Bros. ¥1.46B

Note - For the 1st Time, since "Frozen II" (2019), an Animated Film has topped the Imported Chart Annual Crown!

• Like 3

Yeah everyone needs to remember the yen is super weak right now. If -1 can make it to 5 billion yen that’s really really good even if the conversion is only like 34m usd. 

If the yen wasn’t so weak this would probably end up making more than Shin Godzilla worldwide in usd. 

In yen what’s the total between the two Shins and Minus One at this point? 

Edited by Cookson