Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Yeah but what other movies in recent times had two day openings?

Japan always has 2-day weekends with the exception of holiday weekends. Sometimes a film opens on Friday instead of Saturday, but the gross from Friday isn't included into the opening weekend. I'm almost late for work now, so I gotta go. lol. I'll report any new news when I get back home tonight.
  • Like 1

Japan always has 2-day weekends with the exception of holiday weekends. Sometimes a film opens on Friday instead of Saturday, but the gross from Friday isn't included into the opening weekend.I'm almost late for work now, so I gotta go. lol. I'll report any new news when I get back home tonight.

Thank you for your numbers :)

Top Grossing Superhero Movies (Japan)

1. Spider-Man 7.5 billion ($59 million)

2. Spider-Man 3 7.12 billion ($67 million)

3. Spider-Man 2 6.7 billion ($61 million)

4. The Incredibles 5.26 billion ($52 million)

5. Hancock 3.10 billion ($30 million)

6. Batman 1.91 billion ($13 million) (Dis. Income; approx. 3 billion in gross)

7. X-Men 1.85 billion ($18 million)

8. X2: X-Men United 1.80 billion ($16 million)

9. Superman II 1.65 billion ($7.5 million) (Dis. Income; approx. 2.5 billion in gross)

10. The Dark Knight 1.60 billion ($16 million)

11. X-Men: The Last Stand 1.53 billion ($14 million)

12. Superman Returns 1.50 billion ($12 million)

13. Batman Begins 1.40 billion ($13.5 million)

14. Iron Man 2 1.20 billion ($13.5 million)

Higher than Corspse expectations :P It's great news :)

I'm actually surprised estimates were that close. What with the discount Sunday and 3D prices to consider. They probably cancelled each other out. Glad I got it posted before THR or anywhere else. :DThat also means the other films are likely close to the estimates. Great weekend.

Yep, that sounds about right.

June 30-July 1

Weekend Admissions Ranking

1 (new) The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) Week 1

2 (1) Snow White and the Huntsman (Toho-Towa) Week 3

3 (new) Rinjo: The Movie (TOEI) Week 1

4 (2) Glow of Fireflies (Toho) Week 4

5 (4) Thermae Romae (Toho) Week 10

6 (3) MIB 3 (Toho-Towa) Week 6

7 (5) LOVE, Masao-jun Ga Iku (Shochiku) Week 2

8 (new) The Rum Diary (Showgate) Week 1

9 (7) Dark Shadows (Warner Bros.) Week 7

10 (8) We Bought a Zoo (FOX) Week 4

The Amazing Spider-Man sold 426,604 tickets to gross ¥580,961,300 ($7.3 million) over the weekend on a record 1,092 screens with 3D representing 77% of ticket sales. Last weekend's previews included, the film sold 620,799 tickets and grossed ¥901,462,600 ($11.3 million) with 3D representing 85% of ticket sales.

I'm 99% certain previews will be included in the opening weekend (they were for RE4, Inception, and others), so it easily achieves the biggest opening weekend of the year. Without previews, it would have the third biggest opening of the year. That part may sound disappointing (it would still be the best opening for a Hollywood film this year, though), but I'm sure most, if not all, of the 194,195 people who saw the previews would have come out this weekend anyway.

Snow White and the Huntsman exceeded ¥1.2 billion ($15 million) after 17 days in release.

TOEI finally has a successful live-action film in Rinjo: The Movie. Debuting on 254 screens, the film sold 134,909 tickets to gross ¥145,537,900 ($1.8 million). Tickets were 40% off on Sunday and given the very low avg. ticket price, it clearly sold the majority of it's tickets that day. It could reach the 1 billion ($12.5 million) milestone with summer break coming up soon.

Edited by Corpse

July Release Schedule (Wide Releases)

July 7

Man on a Ledge (Disney)

Biography of Gusukobudori (Warner Bros.)

Go! Anpanman: Revive Banana Island (Tokyo Theaters, Co.)

United (Go Cinema)

July 14 (Holiday Weekend)

Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) - July 13

Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho)

Heruta Skelter (Asmik Ace)

Drudgery Train (TOEI)

July 21

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho)

Brave (Disney)

The Lady (Kadokawa Pictures)

July 28

The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros.)

Eight Ranger (Toho)

Naruto Shippuden: Road to Ninja (Toho)

Schools don't go on break until July 13th, and while weekdays are already strong year-round, from July 13th-August 27th weekdays will easily be stronger than weekends.

Edited by Corpse

Umizaru and Brave will be big hits.

How popular are the olympics there? Will they have a big effect on the heavyweights TASM and TDKR? Olympics i think open on the 27th. So TASM would be on it's 4th weekend, while TDKR would be on its 1st.

How popular are the olympics there? Will they have a big effect on the heavyweights TASM and TDKR? Olympics i think open on the 27th. So TASM would be on it's 4th weekend, while TDKR would be on its 1st.

I dont think Olympics will effect too much because of time zone difference.