Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Kingslayer said exactly what I've been feeling. Most people here just want to enjoy the ride, without caring how accurate their predictions are. For people who are indifferent about Frozen, there will be no disappointment if it ends up below expectation, because they don't really care about the success of the movie. So overprediction is okay. But because we love Frozen so much, we care about the result. That's why many of us tend to make conservative predictions to avoid disappointment. Just like when we're rooting for our favorite sport team, and we have high expectations, we'll be really disappointed if that team loses. So yeah, let's just have fun. :)

For my own sanity, I always underpredict. #cubsfan

Edited by Ray
  • Like 1

mfantin keeps lowering his weekend prediction...not a good sign!

If you look at Murgatroyd's charts, this isn't especially unprecedented or even a huge concern. A lot of films have a bit of a drop in weekend 6, it seems, so Frozen following that pattern would be in line.

I know the conversation about Conan ended two pages back, but what is interesting is that while the manga and TV series have not retained their popularity from the heights of the late 90s/early 00s, the annual films continue to do very well. In fact, last year's Conan film was the highest grossing in the entire series! And if you count Lupin III VS Conan from the end of last year, well, that outgrossed every single Lupin and Conan film to date!

As stale as the main series (manga, TV series) has become, with massive loss of interest over the years, for some reason people keep flocking to the movies. I wouldn't be surprised if they are continuing the series solely to keep making movies or something silly like that. I mean, that series has been going nowhere for a long time.

It's interesting that a lot of the animated films based on long running TV series are doing so well lately.  The most recent ONE PIECE became the highest-grossing film in the series by far, and last year's entry of Doraemon is also the highest-grossing film in the series since the late 90s.

I know the conversation about Conan ended two pages back, but what is interesting is that while the manga and TV series have not retained their popularity from the heights of the late 90s/early 00s, the annual films continue to do very well. In fact, last year's Conan film was the highest grossing in the entire series! And if you count Lupin III VS Conan from the end of last year, well, that outgrossed every single Lupin and Conan film to date!

As stale as the main series (manga, TV series) has become, with massive loss of interest over the years, for some reason people keep flocking to the movies. I wouldn't be surprised if they are continuing the series solely to keep making movies or something silly like that. I mean, that series has been going nowhere for a long time.

It's interesting that a lot of the animated films based on long running TV series are doing so well lately.  The most recent ONE PIECE became the highest-grossing film in the series by far, and last year's entry of Doraemon is also the highest-grossing film in the series since the late 90s.

Welcome to the forums :) I can't speak much to Japanese movie trends since I'm not really familiar with these franchises but I agree that the recent upswing in theatrical attendance is very interesting given the stagnant state of the manga.

It is really interesting. I think they're gaining fans from the new generation. Kids who are now old enough to see the movies.

Welcome to the forums :) I can't speak much to Japanese movie trends since I'm not really familiar with these franchises but I agree that the recent upswing in theatrical attendance is very interesting given the stagnant state of the manga.

Thanks for the welcoming words.  :) I'm a longtime lurker.... since the BOM days. Haha... Decided to join on a whim today.

It seems that in Japan, domestic films are just doing better in general lately. The Hollywod blockbusters used to dominate, but that really just isn't the case anymore.

In terms of animated films, I'm interested in seeing how well Mamoru Hosoda's next film will do at the box office, whenever that comes. I'm reluctant to call him the next Miyazaki in terms of filmmaking at this point, but in terms of mainstream popularity, he could be heading there.

According to Screendaily.com Fozen gross 6,4M$ in this midweek. (new OS total 719,5M$)

That seems too much. Is the 6.4M number based on 713.1M, the mojo number of last week, and 719.5M in your link? Do they share the same database?

According to Screendaily.com Fozen gross 6,4M$ in this midweek. (new OS total 719,5M$)

that number does seem high. It has come in high in the past. I wonder if there are some numbers that lag from the previous week or late actuals.We finally we have a week over week increase. I think next week the drops will be smaller. Conan only did 2.6m midweek last year and Frozen will be strapping on rocket boosters next Saturday. Edited by mfantin65

that number does seem high. It has come in high in the past. I wonder if there are some numbers that lag from the previous week or late actuals.We finally we have a week over week increase. I think next week the drops will be smaller. Conan only did 2.6m midweek last year and Frozen will be strapping on rocket boosters next Saturday.

Yeah late actuals makes sense I guess, but the total tally is real enough. TF3 WW to fall by saturday or sunday.

Next week TASM2 is released in Japan. Tasm1 opened pretty big ($7.4M) so it isn't just conan frozen has to deal with.

Yeah late actuals makes sense I guess, but the total tally is real enough. TF3 WW to fall by saturday or sunday.Next week TASM2 is released in Japan. Tasm1 opened pretty big ($7.4M) so it isn't just conan frozen has to deal with.

With150 3d screens and retaining most of its 2d, it should have 20% screen bump and 30% price increase on 10-20% of its tickets. Going back over 8m next weekend. More competition but more movie goers. Holiday movie mindset kicks in. 25-35m weekends happen with big movies opening and holiday week.Frozen 8.5Spidey 7.0Roman 5.5Conan 4.5Is my prediction for next weekend. One or two of them could take a hit with the competition, not frozen of course.some years there are no movies over 5m that weekend. Frozen has to deal with nearly 3. :(That and the following weekend are going to be two of the biggest weekends of the year Edited by mfantin65
  • Like 1