Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

This article is very interesting,too. It talks about the possibility for a Sequel for frozen. Do you think frozen can have a solid franchise, please let me know your thoughts and what would you like to see in the sequel.  B) By the way, can somebody tell me why Disney hasnt announced frozen 2, are they really not making it or maybe they are waiting for an awesome script and see if a sequel is possible.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/22442/20140330/frozen-2-movie-sequel-disney-blu-ray.htm

P.S. I am from Latin America.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think they are waiting for the right script. Disney didn't have the best track record for sequel. So, it's wise to be very careful.

Edited by tong kosong
  • Like 1

This article is very interesting,too. It talks about the possibility for a Sequel for frozen. Do you think frozen can have a solid franchise, please let me know your thoughts and what would you like to see in the sequel.  B) By the way, can somebody tell me why Disney hasnt announced frozen 2, are they really not making it or maybe they are waiting for an awesome script and see if a sequel is possible.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/22442/20140330/frozen-2-movie-sequel-disney-blu-ray.htm

I doubt that any sequel could be as satisfying as the original. With so many tropes overturned, I can't imagine how any twist can be as fresh. But yes, countless directors and writers will pitch their ideas to John Lasseter, for sure. I prefer not to see any sequel to it, but it seems more likely than not that we're going to see one.

I'm not sure how I would pitch a sequel. Maybe, after Elsa completely destroyed Weselton's invading fleet, the rest of the neighboring nations got fearful of Elsa. They made an alliance to isolate Arrendele and made demands that Elsa be exiled to the north mountains and princess Anna to become queen instead. Meanwhile, Kristoff so badly wants to forgo castle life and back to the mountain. "I don't need a kingdom nor a castle / one's a headache and one is a hassle / all I need is my sled and my reindeer" and Anna is torn in between being with Kristoff or being with her sister. Elsa meanwhile began to think that her power is a curse once more as her people suffer from the isolation, and the old idea of isolating herself began to play on her head. Will Kristoff sacrifice his longing for the wilderness for Anna? Will Elsa abdicate the throne for Anna and become the real Snow Queen of Hans Christian Andersen? Will Anna choose to leave Kristoff to help rule Arrendele, or even rule it herself?

I think that would be a decent set up, but I can't think of a satisfying resolution to it.

• Like 1

Thanks all of you for welcome me. Ajipon that idea that you wrote is amazing! take notes Disney! I heard a rumor about Anna having fire power, I wonder if Disney will start giving powers to their princesses after the huge success and popularity of Elsa with her ice and snow power.

And for the sequel, I hope to see Elsa origin powers background and kristoff and Anna getting marry or even having a baby. Elsas love interest perhaps. but who would be the villain? what powerful message we will have from the movie, how amazing the songs would be. wow, making a sequel will be very very difficult.

Edited by Queen Elsa Arendelle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYNVlf6Rqo

FULL VIDEO OF 500 FANS singing Frozen together in Tokyo

Yup. Next weekend is going to be glorious. :D

This article is very interesting,too. It talks about the possibility for a Sequel for frozen. Do you think frozen can have a solid franchise, please let me know your thoughts and what would you like to see in the sequel. B) By the way, can somebody tell me why Disney hasnt announced frozen 2, are they really not making it or maybe they are waiting for an awesome script and see if a sequel is possible.

Welcome!

While I do see Disney building a massive franchise around Frozen along the lines of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, Walt Disney Animation Studios doesn't take sequels lightly. In 53 films, only 2 actual sequels have been made by WDAS (The Rescuers Down Under and Fantasia 2000, the latter using the term "sequel" fairly loosely), which tells me that even though WDAS is open to sequels, they have incredibly high standards and aren't afraid to pass one up if it doesn't meet those expectations.

The problem is that the story in Frozen takes place over many years, addressing estrangement issues in two adult sisters that have kept them apart since childhood. The power grab by an outside prince was merely a catalyst. That story has been completely resolved, and it would be difficult to contrive a sequel with as much weight.

Realistically, I'd say a short or series of shorts are most likely, as we could get an update on Elsa and her powers, Anna and Kristoff's relationship, and/or Olaf's experiencing summer, all without having to shoehorn them into a subpar feature.

• Like 3

Thanks all of you for welcome me. Ajipon that idea that you wrote is amazing! take notes Disney! I heard a rumor about Anna having fire power, I wonder if Disney will start giving powers to their princesses after the huge success and popularity of Elsa with her ice and snow power.

It would be cool to explore more about the universe. It was implied that there are others who can use magic.

Short features like Tangled Ever After would be great. I kinda want to see Rapunzel meets Anna and Elsa.

Edited by tong kosong

Yup. Next weekend is going to be glorious. :D

Welcome!

While I do see Disney building a massive franchise around Frozen along the lines of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, Walt Disney Animation Studios doesn't take sequels lightly. In 53 films, only 2 actual sequels have been made by WDAS (The Rescuers Down Under and Fantasia 2000, the latter using the term "sequel" fairly loosely), which tells me that even though WDAS is open to sequels, they have incredibly high standards and aren't afraid to pass one up if it doesn't meet those expectations.

The problem is that the story in Frozen takes place over many years, addressing estrangement issues in two adult sisters that have kept them apart since childhood. The power grab by an outside prince was merely a catalyst. That story has been completely resolved, and it would be difficult to contrive a sequel with as much weight.

Realistically, I'd say a short or series of shorts are most likely, as we could get an update on Elsa and her powers, Anna and Kristoff's relationship, and/or Olaf's experiencing summer, all without having to shoehorn them into a subpar feature.

There's also Winnie The Pooh (2011), though I'd also really only consider Rescuers Down Under to be a sequel in the truest sense of the word.

Personally, I'm fine with Frozen not receiving a sequel. I think Wreck-It Ralph or (probably) the upcoming Big Hero 6 have better sequel potential. I'd rather they explore other fairy tales in the musical style.

• Like 1

okay I just figured out the disappointment thing. I knew parenting change back in the 80's with all the psychology books that people read and this is a fine example."Maternity-wear designer Rosie Pope says her pal — who works at Disney, no less — recently shelled out $1,200 for an Elsa doll on eBay after she promised her daughter one for her Frozen-themed birthday party.“By this point, she didn’t care about the price,” says Pope. “She didn’t want to 'disappoint' her daughterExperts liken the frenzy to the 1980s Cabbage Patch Kids craze."We went from eat your potatoes or nothing to would you like cake instead? Or it's too expensive, NO, suck it up and like it-cry and get wacked to ill buy it for 1200 and give you a hug.Rome got to be this way. The "life is hard, suck it up and like it people" invaded. Rome collapsedjust another trend I noticed like the Nasdaq and real estate bubble and collapse.when I was in Miami a 22 year old's car got towed and he wanted a ride because he didn't want to walk three quarters of a mile. the walk was a flat smooth surface, 80 degrees, girls in bikinis and I told him I'm not his soccer mom.. He was 'disappointed'with me and said I was harsh. He didn't last 6months in trading.in the 1940s in World War 2 Italy my father who was 12 used to walk 2 miles through the woods in the cold to steal ammunition from the Germans to sell in order to buy flour for his family. If he was caught he would have been shot on the spot. Now that is "harsh" and that would have been "disappointing" to his family.Global economy will collapse, all do, and the barbarians will be at the gate again, $1200 dolls aren't going to help. Im gonna watch it on tv from the safety of my villa in Switzerland.

Edited by mfantin65

According to the current presale, Conan does a better job than Frozen because this is the OD and there are

some activities held by the Conan producers...so some sellouts can be seen.

Compared with last Saturday, however, there is only a slight difference in Frozen's presale.

For a movie on its sixth weekend, this is really amazing.

By Corpse

Weekend Forecast [04/19-20]

¥720 million ($7.0 million), Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) NEW¥660 million ($6.4 million), Frozen (Disney) Week 6¥220 million ($2.1 million), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Disney) NEW¥200 million ($1.9 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back (Toho) NEW¥190 million ($1.8 million), Crows: Explode (Toho) Week 2¥60 million ($580,000), The Snow White Murder Case (Shochiku) Week 4¥55 million ($530,000), Heisei Rider vs. Showa Rider: Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai (Toei) Week 4¥50 million ($490,000), L-DK (Toei) Week 2¥45 million ($440,000), Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exploration Party (Toho) Week 7¥40 million ($390,000), Team Batista: Kerberos's Final Portrait (Toho) Week 4>Detective Conan has only failed to debut in 1st once in the past 17 years, which was in 2010 when up against the mammoth Alice in Wonderland's debut. It could fail to debut on top again this year with another Disney titan, Frozen, still playing so well, but Conan has the edge over Frozen so far this morning at most locations.Ticket sales at Toho Cinemas are ahead of last year's at the same point in time, and last year's film just so happened to be the biggest opener in the franchise's history. So needless to say, this is a very encouraging sign. And with the tax hike, it "only" has to match the admissions of last year's film to exceed ¥700 million ($7 million) over the weekend. But so far admissions look stronger, so it may climb even higher.>Frozen lost most of the biggest screens to Conan, thus decreasing its seats by about 13% at Toho Cinemas, and 18% at Movix Cinemas. This marks the first time since it opened that it has lost any seats. In order to defeat Detective Conan, and claim a sixth-consecutive week atop the box-office, it'll need to avoid a drop over ~15%, so it'll be close.>Crayon Shin-chan and Captain America should also have a close battle to see which of them ranks 3rd over the weekend. Both films should be aiming for ¥200 million ($2.0 million).

• Like 1

Wow it seems I was right, Conan will have its biggest OW ever with more than $7m. Presales looked really strong. I'm still pretty confident though that Frozen will stay at #1. If that $2m holds for Cap 2, that's pretty good too.

Edited by catlover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYNVlf6Rqo

FULL VIDEO OF 500 FANS singing Frozen together in Tokyo

This is a great move by Disney. I think it will help people there to be interested in this new concept. Disney really wants this to be a success. I hope it will catch on and create a new phenomenon, and maybe they will add more singalong showings.

Corpse has been consistently 10% or more off on frozen weekend predictions. I hope this weekend to be no different. Want see toho 22500+ at 1430. Its an important number. Showing strength against competion and GW will play a huge factor into how deep into the 200s this goes.Yo labas. So presale are close to last saturday. On the toho site it shows total seats right. So there 150000 seats per day . That number is then dropping to 12700 -15% but more showtimes. Doing 55000 still shouldnt be a problem then?Conan has a better start to the day but it skews younger. I have a feeling frozens evening number will strengthen. It may lose the day but will win sunday and probably the weekend.

Edited by mfantin65

The key point I'm guessing would be the seat saturation(for want of a better term) of each screening. 

Having more screenings is pretty pointless if the number of actual viewers is low. A 50% full big screen could be bigger than a 60% multiple smaller screens for example. 

If the demand is there though, and enough people still choose to see frozen over Conan, then an increase of showtimes should see frozen hold very well.

The key point I'm guessing would be the seat saturation(for want of a better term) of each screening. Having more screenings is pretty pointless if the number of actual viewers is low. A 50% full big screen could be bigger than a 60% multiple smaller screens for example. If the demand is there though, and enough people still choose to see frozen over Conan, then an increase of showtimes should see frozen hold very well.

if only 100 people go the last showing w 200 seats or 600 seats, no difference. But 300 more seats go to waste.More showtimes/screens during the popular time of day provides more availablity for someone who just missed the 12pm but 230 is too late because they have to be somewhere at 4pm. 1pm is now available! Better use of seats. Thats why they broke up the big theaters into multiplexes 30years ago..its conceivable that 350 of 500 are sold at 12pm vs two 200 seat sellouts that occur at 12 and 1pm. Less seats, but more times, more tickets. Edited by mfantin65

if only 100 people go the last showing w 200 seats or 600 seats, no difference. But 300 more seats go to waste.More showtimes/screens during the popular time of day provides more availablity for someone who just missed the 12pm but 230 is too late because they have to be somewhere at 4pm. 1pm is now available! Better use of seats. Thats why they broke up the big theaters into multiplexes 30years ago..its conceivable that 350 of 500 are sold at 12pm vs two 200 seat sellouts that occur at 12 and 1pm. Less seats, but more times, more tickets.

Yes and this is why I mentioned seat saturation and demand. As you say the diversifying of time can be helpful to bring in more potential viewers and if the smaller screens can get packed then losing the big screens might not matter so much.

In the end it all still depends on how many people decide to see Frozen over Conan. 

Yes, as I can remember, last time when spiderman opened in Japan, it had more than 1000 screens and amazing seats number. However, OW only grossed around 6.m .. So, the point is how many people decide to watch Ftozen.

Yes and this is why I mentioned seat saturation and demand. As you say the diversifying of time can be helpful to bring in more potential viewers and if the smaller screens can get packed then losing the big screens might not matter so much.In the end it all still depends on how many people decide to see Frozen over Conan.

conan had 1/3 the viewers midweek last year than frozens average midweek. I say 2/3s of frozenites aren't the same demo. Admissions being above OW for 4 weekends in a row mean the excess demand is still there. Many conanites that go to conan may have already seen frozen. The ones that choose conan over frozen could just be making room for the excess demand. Presales are close to last week. We got a shot at a tight hold. We'll know in 4hours Edited by mfantin65