Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

But you have years of data for Conan. Last year's movie was the highest grossing Conan movie ever. We also learned how the story this time would possibly give a box office bump. The sellouts were really good too. With all those hype, you should have aimed high! No underpredictions! :P

thought you said it was overdone? That and frozen competion lead me to go lower than last year.

Ok.I caddied when I was a teen with a lot of other american born kids. Two 35lb bags on my back for 10 miles. I played at that course recently and not a single American kid caddies there. I asked young people why, its good money, its beneath them now, but not using mommies credit card.EVERY elder in my neighborhood told me what it was like in their time of depression and war and witnessed the trials of life on their wrinkled faces and broken backsyou weren't there, you have experienced nothing, dont trivialize you coddled clueless twit.

I'm trivializing nothing. I'm making no statements whatsoever about the relative ease or attitude of the generations in question. I have no data on that. And neither do you. Yet you seem perfectly fine with making wide, sweeping generalisations about how entitled the current generation of kids are based on a handful of cases. That's pathetic. You don't judge how well a movie is doing by listening to colleagues around the water cooler. You use the actual data collected by theatres and distributors. The same principle applies here.

better to be a downer than see what is actually happening. Take the skirt off!rather be a jerk than a pussy

And now you're adding some misogyny to the melange. That's just wonderful.

• Like 1

thought you said it was overdone? That and frozen competion lead me to go lower than last year.

The TV anime and manga are overdone. But the movies are actually entertaining. That's why a lot of fans now only watch the movies. They are still interested in the main plot though, so incorporating some of that to the latest movie would bring more interest.

I think you're misinterpreting our posts.

No, you're misinterpreting Hider's post. It's a joke about how its OW is actually the lowest weekend number for Frozen so far.

I'm trivializing nothing. I'm making no statements whatsoever about the relative ease or attitude of the generations in question. I have no data on that. And neither do you. Yet you seem perfectly fine with making wide, sweeping generalisations about how entitled the current generation of kids are based on a handful of cases. That's pathetic. You don't judge how well a movie is doing by listening to colleagues around the water cooler. You use the actual data collected by theatres and distributors. The same principle applies here.And now you're adding some misogyny to the melange. That's just wonderful.

I have a life full of data. Stop watching tv so much and open a book. Not just my perception and those of my elders. Much has been written. Try reading Jared Diamond first and get back to me.misogyny? Please. Women are more cautious than men. Statistically true. Thats why their insurance rates are cheaper. I said nothing about women. Pussy is a derogatory word aimed at cautious males. Get over it see you next tuesday Edited by mfantin65

Yeah, this is promising for Frozen when it faces much more competitions next week. In the mean time, looks like it's gonna be a good weekend. Conan and Frozen are obviously doing great. Crayon Shinchan is doing much better than last year's movie too. And Cap 2 will easily outgross its predecessor.

One thing before I go to bed:

Better to underestimate and be wrong than to be a pretty big jerk.  ;)

THIS!! I hope you won't stop coming to this forum just because some bully is being a jerk and ruining this thread. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, this is promising for Frozen when it faces much more competitions next week. In the mean time, looks like it's gonna be a good weekend. Conan and Frozen are obviously doing great. Crayon Shinchan is doing much better than last year's movie too. And Cap 2 will easily outgross its predecessor.One thing before I go to bed:THIS!! I hope you won't stop coming to this forum just because some bully is being a jerk and ruining this thread. :)

actually bullies start the issue. Im only replying to mostly incorrect negative comments. dont start shit. I shovel it out of the way. Anyone know what a shovel is? Or just remote controls?otherwise I can be jovial. You just cant hear the funny tone on half tge shit I say in print. Everyone in the office loves me except the idiots I fire of course. ; p Edited by mfantin65

Another 8m weekend? For the sixth freaking weekend?Holy shit!!! My now-not-so-crazy 230m prediction is going to be a walk in the park after this :blink:

congratulations. You win. I thought it was possible but pussied out and went conservative w 110-130m. Uh oh, misogynist alert! I was rooting for you.A fool calls a sage a crazy man for he knows not what is over the horizon. As it crested and it became apparent they still called you insane. That my friend is the imbecile. The meek shall not inherit the earth. They are too busy stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. They can all kneel and kiss your ass now! ill pass out the moist towels so they may wipe their shit stained lips and brown nose. ;) Edited by mfantin65

I'm trivializing nothing. I'm making no statements whatsoever about the relative ease or attitude of the generations in question. I have no data on that. And neither do you. Yet you seem perfectly fine with making wide, sweeping generalisations about how entitled the current generation of kids are based on a handful of cases. That's pathetic. You don't judge how well a movie is doing by listening to colleagues around the water cooler. You use the actual data collected by theatres and distributors. The same principle applies here. l.

from "guns germs and steel." Jared diamond phd. 40 years of research. I read this back before your balls dropped when you were watching lion king for the 80th time instead of learning how to use a hammer.here's some fucking data.Besides the genetic reason there is also a second reason why New Guineans may have come to be smarter than Westerners. modern European and American children spend much of the time being passively entertained by radio television and movies. in the average American household the TV is on for 7 hours per day. In contrast traditional New Guinea children have virtually no such opportunities for passive entertainment, instead spend almost all of their waking hours doing something, such as talking or playing with other children or adults. almost all studies of child development emphasize the role of childhood stimulation and activity in promoting mental development and stress irreversible mental stunting associated with reduced childhood stimulation. This effect shortly contributes a non genetic component to the superior average mental function displayed by New Guineans. That is, in mental ability New Guineans are probably genetically superior to Westerners and they surely are superior in escaping the devastating developmental disadvantages under which most children in industrialized societies now grow up.translation: your a fucking retard compared to my generation, my fathers and all the ones going back to Paleolithic which we are able to study in the modern hunter gatherers of new guinea. I dont say anything without the data.

What's with all this talk about generation ? I lost it since... Well, since the beginning.

Btw, YAY !!! Frozen is still going strong !!! IM3, you are going down !!!

Yep IronMan doesn't got the Guns to shoot frozen down, I think they ll need to call in the second avengers to call frozen back XD

Wait, so what is everyone estimating Frozen's total to be after Saturday? Passing $100m puts it 7th all-time, ahead of Return of the King, but if my numbers are correct, $100.1m puts it 6th, ahead of Dark of the Moon... Are we there yet?

Btw. I watched frozen. Not generally my cup of tea but I enjoyed it. I've watched wolf of wall st twice, Goodfellas revisited. My tea.I downloaded Spirited Away. They did a great job with the dub. Why only 10m in the US?

Because Disney didn't even try to promote it until after the Best Animated Feature win, and even then, they didn't do much.

GO FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have question. You all like underestimate for fear of disappointment and call people crazy when they make bold predictions. I mean you want the movie to do well because you like the movie but for some reason when you hear a high number of you say that's impossible. It's like having your favorite sports team as an underdog against overwhelming odds and betting on the other team even though you still want your team to win. this makes no sense to me.Some of you have stock in not being over because you like the movie. Ok. I have stock in being close. That what i do. When somebody who is so fucking wrong has the audacity to reply to my post that im high, they are going to get it. Period. I promise ill leave the " it mite do 125m" posts alone. If someone calls box crazy one more time for being high then dont fucking whine when the shit comes back at you.

Personally, underestimations have been (or well, they were) a necessity to me. When you can't fall asleep because Despicable Movie 2 just added 1.5M more in China and Frozen got an OS update below your prediction - which puts 1B in jeopardy - then your organism has to adopt some sort of defensive strategy. I got an 'imprinting' on Disney (not the man xD) and I probably won't get another Frozen in my entire life. My library still has Carl Barks and Floyd Gottfredson next to Barush Spinoza and Konrad Lorenz. Can't pay attention to things like accuracy or 'being close' when a movie's performance gets into your blood. Moreover, when I confidently shoot high, the film's actual gross tends to fall under my mark (thought Lego Movie was a lock for 500M and overestimated its trajectory...but in that case I obviously didn't give it a damn). I did that for the domestic singalong release and not only dinner, but even breakfast and lunch went down the wrong pipe.

For me, it has often been a matter of being prepared for a possible -though very unlikely - disappointment.

It's not like I was completely blind. I remember that after Frozen's OW in Japan, my sister asked me how the movie was doing and I answered that it had a small chance of beating TF3 WW - but I actually told myself it was a done deal.

Can't forget our second bet, the first one about Frozen's Japanese gross. You said 110M. Something like "if it doesn't make more than 100M, I'll cut my veins" - and obviously went with 75M!

But...yeah, every part of me considered Boxx93's SA prediction completely crazy...

What about Cap 2?

WHO. FREAKING. CARES. :P

No, beating Conan does make sense. It's kinda like an announcement which tells the theater managers : "Just leave all your screens to Frozen! No other movie could make more money for you."

Yep. It could at least help Frozen getting more moviegoers during GW. Press emphasizing its victory over Conan and its 6-week-long reign is just gasoline on the fire called "Singalong & 3D expansion" (is it even an expansion??).

I shouldve kept my estimate at 7.8m and saved omni the stomach ache :)

Haha :P

Thu and Fri made me confident in a 10% (or lower) drop. :D 

Edited by Omni
  • Like 1

But you have years of data for Conan. Last year's movie was the highest grossing Conan movie ever. We also learned how the story this time would possibly give a box office bump. The sellouts were really good too. With all those hype, you should have aimed high! No underpredictions! :P

Competition also doesn't seem to matter as much in Japan.

Btw. I watched frozen. Not generally my cup of tea but I enjoyed it. I've watched wolf of wall st twice, Goodfellas revisited. My tea.I downloaded Spirited Away. They did a great job with the dub. Why only 10m in the US?

It's really Japanese. So a lot of the culture is difficult to parse, even if the story is really clear and well done. Mononoke Hime is even moreso, and while it didn't even have as strong a release campaign as SA, the business does reflect that cultural divide. Ponyo and Arriety both did better in part due to the lack of such specific cultural cues. (TWR is down in business, and again has a story more steeped in themes that will resonate differently,)There's also a difficulty in how to sell these films. While animation professionals and film fans will recognize Miyazaki it's a bit hard to advertise something as "come see this film, the director is a genius."It's not really right or fair, but it's the way it goes.