Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

This sounds right. You underpredicted frozen for once :P

I was at 7.8m bought brought it down to 7.3 do forum chatter. but it makes everyone so happy, doesnt it. . Such a surprise.going balls to the wall next week. No holding back, push that envelope.3d and sing along bump. I dont care how many seats they have or competition9.2m weekend18m midweek to follow, beating the biggest SB week10.6m weekend after that. Was thinking it as a possibilty. now im saying it. Someone needs to breast feed omni now Edited by mfantin65

makes everyone so happy, doesnt it.such a surprise.going balls to the wall next week. No holding back, push that envelope.3d and sing along bump. I dont care how many seat they have or competition9.2m weekend18m midweek to follow, beating the biggest SB week10.6m weekend after that.Was thinking it as a possibilty. now im saying it.Someone needs to breast feed omni now

You know that it gives everyone here a warm fuzzy feeling to know you are wrong :P

Seriously though besides boxx who predicted SA numbers back in february or something (and was subsequently called crazy/mad because of it :D)  you've had the most consistent predictions so kudos

So.. when is Omni-blonde reeves happening?

You know that it gives everyone here a warm fuzzy feeling to know you are wrong :PSeriously though besides boxx who predicted SA numbers back in february or something (and was subsequently called crazy/mad because of it :D) you've had the most consistent predictions so kudosSo.. when is Omni-blonde reeves happening?

Keanu joins the thread on sunday.I've been under 5-10% most weeks actually. Hopefully next week too.
  • Like 1

Phenom Update. If it holds well it looks like this. My original prediction was 110m. Im hoping and thinking it has a chance to beat TS3Lets see how it tracks TS3 which has a 15% currency advantage.  Its got MU beat no need to compare. TS3                                              FrozenWeekend         Total$11,156,768   $11,156,768.     $7,531,000    $9,731,000$8,312,960.    $27,090,842.     $8,500,000    $29,700,000$6,121,284.    $44,328,765 $9,500,000   $53,000,000 est$7,134,502.    $62,557,777   $8,000,000 $73,000,000 Proj- end SB$4,864,813.    $76,990,462 $6,000,000   $85,000,000 Got to hold well post SB$6,245,451.    $95,797,512   $5,000,000   $95,000,000$3,185,494     $107,751,566 $4,000,000   $103,000,000 $2,908,764     $115,404,636   $5,000,000   $115,000,000 Golden week$1,600,000  $122,700,000 $3,000,000   $121,000,000 $126,660,533 $130,000,000+ ???

beating TS3 in admissions would be pretty cool already but doing that in actual dollars (exchange rate advantage AND i guess higher 3D share? ) really would be insanely impressive :)

What seemed lofty in week 2 now is ridiculously low.10m ahead of schedule with next weekend going to be more than double the 4m projection. Rocket boosters strapped on, ignition ready, T- 5d 15h 24m to sat 1430 toho liftoff!
  • Like 1

With this unexpected hold what do y'all think its going to do? You know what I think. Im just curious I will make no comments.Ok omni, n light of this weekend we know we have a once many years event. You've been transported back in time to 1960 Soviet union. Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev the ruthless leader at that time loves disney films just like kim jung il. when he visited the states during the height of the Cold War to meet with President Eisenhower he had two requests; one was to meet John Wayne and drink a bottle of vodka and the other was to visit Disneyland. John Wayne replied I'll meet with the son of a bitch but I'm drinking tequila. John Wayne drank him under the table. he couldn't visit Disneyland because of security reasons.why is it these ruthless dictators want to blow up the United States and the rest of the West but love our icons like the american cowboy and mickey mouse. Anyway the communist party created a machine so he can watch disney films in the future and track box office. he really wants to invade Japan as the Russians have for decades bu het is waiting to see how frozen does there and buy some twist of fate you got sucked back in time thru a boxoffice.com portal and the Japanese people are relying on you. if you're off by more than 5%, Japan will be invaded and you go off to the gulag. Your rations will be 500 calories a day, your fingers will fall off due to frost bite and you will wither away and die a slow painful death over the next three years.Round 5. Im up 3 to 1. What's your prediction buddy? Final gross. Digestion or Japan? Be bold.

So, we are looking at a split decision for the weekend crown in Japan. Conan takes admissions by a hair and Frozen has the edge in Yen. Amazing that we have another increase here in weekend 6 with direct competition and fewer seats.

Just an amazing run, already at 14x its opening weekend. Have any movies with a sizable opening ever had a 30x or better multiplier from OW?

So, we are looking at a split decision for the weekend crown in Japan. Conan takes admissions by a hair and Frozen has the edge in Yen. Amazing that we have another increase here in weekend 6 with direct competition and fewer seats.

Just an amazing run, already at 14x its opening weekend. Have any movies with a sizable opening ever had a 30x or better multiplier from OW?

Spirited away I think

It's amazing that Frozen is still going strong in it's sixth weekend. It's barely affected by new competition.

"Barely affected" is an understatement. In fact, with a possible increase this weekend, I don't think it's affected at all by its strongest competition so far! That's beyond amazing :D. Seriously, I did expect Conan to have its biggest opening ever, and at the same time I was hoping that Frozen would hold well in spite if that. I thought I was too optimistic. Turns out I was underestimating both of them. Conan and Frozen did way better than I expected. Admissions for both will be very close. Great weekend!

Btw, BOM has been updated. Total in Japan so far $104.1m. Will it increase again with the actuals?

According to BOM the best is Avatar with 28x but there aren't Spirited Away data. I think it made 30xhttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/opening/?sort=perc&order=ASC&p=.htm

If I'm not mistaken, Spirited Away opened with more than 1b yen with a total of 30b yen, so it should be lower than 30x. How about Titanic? Do we have any data about its OW?

Edited by catlover

Per Corpse

Weekend Estimates [04/19-20]

01 (01) ¥862 million ($8.4 million), +03%, Frozen (Disney) Week 6
02 (--) ¥809 million ($7.9 million), 0, Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) NEW
03 (--) ¥302 million ($2.9 million), 0, Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back (Toho) NEW
04 (--) ¥204 million ($2.0 million), 0, Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Disney) NEW

05 (02) ¥162 million ($1.5 million), -45%, Crows: Expode (Toho) Week 2
06 (03) ¥65 million ($630,000), -35%, Heisei Rider vs. Showa Rider: Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai (Toei) Week 4
07 (05) ¥65 million ($630,000), -25%, The Snow White Murder Case (Shochiku) Week 4
08 (04) ¥64 million ($620,000), -34%, Doraemon: Nobita's Great Demon - Peko and the Exportation Party (Toho) Week 7
09 (06) ¥60 million ($580,000), -18%, L-DK (Toei) Week 2
10 (07) ¥40 million ($380,000), -40%, Team Batista: Kerberos's Final Portrait (Toho) Week 4
11 (10) ¥27 million ($260,000), -27%, God's Medical Records 2 (Toho) Week 5
12 (08) ¥25 million ($240,000), -45%, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Fox) Week 5
13 (09) ¥20 million ($190,000), -46%, One Third (Kadokawa) Week 3
14 (11) ¥18 million ($170,000), -45%, Pretty Cure All Stars: New Stage 3 (Toei) Week 6

>Frozen looks like it'll see another increase this weekend and claim a sixth-consecutive week on top. It should have exceeded the ¥10 billion ($100 million) milestone on Saturday, making it the 7th-fastest film to reach the incredible achievement. Oddly enough, the milestone wasn't reported over the weekend, though. After 6-week, its total should be at a staggering ¥10.5/¥10.6 billion ($103/104 million).

With figures so big, though, and estimates not being as accurate since the tax hike, the race at the top is still very close. In admissions, it's even closer with Frozen at 646,000 and Detective Conan at 641,000 based on estimates. And the Toho Admissions for Conan suggest it may go above 660,000, too.

Estimates were however 4.7% low on Detective Conan last April, and they were also low on Frozen last week. So we'll just have to wait until tomorrow unless one of them would sweep the various cinema chain rankings that come before weekend figures do later tonight giving us a better idea. Conan won at Toho Cinemas, but it'll also need a win at Aeon Cinemas, too, if it wants to dethrone Elsa.

>Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension reaches new heights in the franchise. The 18th-installment looks set to beat the opening weekend record in the franchise by perhaps 20% or better based on estimates, and should have no problem becoming the highest-grossing film in the franchise either as it should exceed ¥4 billion ($40 million) with this level of debut.

>Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes Back reaped the benefits of having a big weekend battle for 1st, as it, too, looks like it set a franchise record. This is the 22nd-installment in the franchise, so breaking so far away from the typical opening is incredible. It usually opens around ¥200 million every year.

>Captain America: The Winter Soldier beat Thor: The Dark World by 9% according to estimates. If it holds, that's an okay number, but Iron Man 3 aside, The Avenger's effect isn't showing as much success here as in most other markets. 

• Like 4

I never imagined Detective Conan would open with more than 800m yen. It had never even exceeded 700m yen on OW before. Crayon Shin-chan is doing way better than usual too. With super strong top 2 and a relatively strong #3 this weekend, I'm wondering how crazy next weekend is gonna be, with 3 more big openers!