Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

If TASM had the exchange rate SM3 did it would only be at $20 million or so after 4 weeks instead of the $33.5 total. You still can't compare them though because SM3 opened at the beginning of Golden Week, greatly inflating it's first week of released by having 4 National Holidays in 5 days. TASM is having, and will have, much better late legs. Summer Vacation just began in Japan and Obon Week is just 3 weeks away, too. It's not going to reach $60 million, but $50 million is still attainable.

Wait, this is amazing news. Glad to see it going gangbusters in Japan.

A $5.5 million opening would actually give it closer to $40 million (assuming the exchange rate doesn't change much over the next couple months). The avg. multiplier is about 6, so $30 million would be the absolute minimum, but during the summer most films get 7 or 8 multipliers resulting in about $40 million or a tad more. I know I said $40 or $50 million wouldn't happen earlier in the week, but it may indeed have a chance based on these reports. I would like to note though that if it happens, it'll be because of the incredibly weak dollar right now. If this was any year before 2010, $30 million would have been the ceiling. TDKR is definitely a breakout Hollywood needed so desperately this year. It could even finish within $10 million of Spider-Man in an unexpected event.Many films are seeing sell outs this weekend, so hopefully we're in for a strong weekend. In the past, this weekend has seen some single digit drops and increases before.

Amazing news as well, I don't expected that TASM would still have some mighty legs in Japan right now.

[July 28-29

Weekend Estimates

1 (1) Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) ¥410,275,000 ($5.2 million), -27.3%, Week 3

2 (-) The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros.) ¥370,240,000 ($4.7 million), 0, NEW

3 (-) Naruto: Road to Ninja (Toho) ¥309,396,000 ($4 million), 0, NEW

4 (2) The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) ¥295,555,000 ($3.7 million), -17.7%, Week 2

5 (3) Pokemon BW: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) ¥215,900,000 ($2.7 million), -15%, Week 3

6 (-) Eight Ranger (Toho) ¥196,920,000 ($2.5 million), 0, NEW

7 (4) Heruta Skelter (Asmik Ace) ¥122,949,000 ($1.5 million), -21.1%, Week 3

8 (5) Brave (Disney) ¥102,014,000 ($1.3 million), -24.8%, Week 2

9 (6) The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) ¥83,176,000 ($1.1 million), -43.8%, Week 5

10 (7) Magical Girl Lyrical Nanaho 2nd A's (Aniplex) ¥27,106,000 ($345,000), -43.3%, Week 3

A very interesting weekend.

So... 'The Dark Knight Rises' apparently had some previews on Friday that totaled about ¥100 million ($1.2 million). To my knowledge, any grosses from Friday are never included in the weekend so that likely kept it from first place. Toho Cinema Ranking pretty much confirms this since it ranked 3rd there this weekend behind 'Umizaru' and 'Naruto'.

There are many disputes over 'Naruto's' estimate since it nearly tripled the opening of the past few films in the series. The 124% increase over last year's film puts it close to the ¥309 million estimate, though some believe ticket prices are higher for the new film (due to the DVD promotion) and it MAY have beat 'The Dark Knight Rises' for second place. Again, Toho Cinema Ranking has 'Naruto' above 'The Dark Knight Rises', but that's Naturo's home field and it won't become clear until the other major chains report their top films this weekend.

I'll post the theater chain rankings when they're all available tonight to shed some more light on all of this.

• Like 1

[July 28-29

Weekend Estimates

1 (1) Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) ¥410,275,000 ($5.2 million), -27.3%, Week 3

2 (-) The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros.) ¥370,240,000 ($4.7 million), 0, NEW

3 (-) Naruto: Road to Ninja (Toho) ¥309,396,000 ($4 million), 0, NEW

4 (2) The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) ¥295,555,000 ($3.7 million), -17.7%, Week 2

5 (3) Pokemon BW: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) ¥215,900,000 ($2.7 million), -15%, Week 3

6 (-) Eight Ranger (Toho) ¥196,920,000 ($2.5 million), 0, NEW

7 (4) Heruta Skelter (Asmik Ace) ¥122,949,000 ($1.5 million), -21.1%, Week 3

8 (5) Brave (Disney) ¥102,014,000 ($1.3 million), -24.8%, Week 2

9 (6) The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) ¥83,176,000 ($1.1 million), -43.8%, Week 5

10 (7) Magical Girl Lyrical Nanaho 2nd A's (Aniplex) ¥27,106,000 ($345,000), -43.3%, Week 3

A very interesting weekend.

So... 'The Dark Knight Rises' apparently had some previews on Friday that totaled about ¥100 million ($1.2 million). To my knowledge, any grosses from Friday are never included in the weekend so that likely kept it from first place. Toho Cinema Ranking pretty much confirms this since it ranked 3rd there this weekend behind 'Umizaru' and 'Naruto'.

There are many disputes over 'Naruto's' estimate since it nearly tripled the opening of the past few films in the series. The 124% increase over last year's film puts it close to the ¥309 million estimate, though some believe ticket prices are higher for the new film (due to the DVD promotion) and it MAY have beat 'The Dark Knight Rises' for second place. Again, Toho Cinema Ranking has 'Naruto' above 'The Dark Knight Rises', but that's Naturo's home field and it won't become clear until the other major chains report their top films this weekend.

I'll post the theater chain rankings when they're all available tonight to shed some more light on all of this.

Very impressive for TASM and TDKR. This adds $1.1m to TASM's $33.5m, am I correct?

It's just an estimate, but yes it will, and whatever it made during the weekdays (which are much bigger than the weekends this time of year).Just one more major theater chain to report until I post the re-cap.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

I dont see ASm number being great. How on earth it can make 50M from this point even with great weekdays and Obon week. its week to week drops are not good enough to do that. I am thinking 40-45M finish.TDKR we need to wait for its 2nd weekend before predicting the total. But its ratings in Japanese sites are promising. Anyway its going to make lot more than TDK.Edit: I just saw ASM total at $37.3m. So it should make 45M+ for sure.

Edited by keysersoze123

They marketed the crap out of TDKR in Japan, and now it's breaking out as it deserves to be after TDK flopped.Though strong yen is helping this out tremendously, I still think that, like the rest of OS, BB and especially TDK home media helped spread the popularity of batman :)

• Like 1

July 28-29

Major Cinema Chain Weekend Rankings

Toho (513), Warner (496), Sunshine (165), Shikoku (116) :: Film :: Distributor :: Avg. Rank :: Week In Release

1, 1, 2, 2 :: Umizaru: Brave Hearts :: Toho :: 1 :: Week 3

2, 2, 3, 1 :: Naruto: Road to Ninja :: Toho :: 2 :: NEW

3, 3, 1, 3 :: The Dark Knight Rises :: Warner Bros. :: 3 :: NEW

4, 4, 5, 4 :: The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki :: Toho :: 4 :: Week 2

6, 5, 4, 5 :: Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo :: Toho :: 5 :: Week 2

5, -, -, 6 :: Eight Ranger :: Toho :: 6 :: NEW

7, -, -, 7 :: Heruta Skelter :: Asmik Ace :: 7 :: Week 2

8, -, -, 9 :: Brave :: Disney :: 8 :: Week 2

9, -, -, 8 :: The Amazing Spider-Man :: Sony :: 9 :: Week 4

10, -, -, 10 :: Go Anpanman! Revive Banana Island :: Tokyo Theaters, Co. :: 10 :: Week

I have included the screen count for the Cinema Chains I use each week:

Toho (513 screens) and Warner (496 screens) are easily the biggest cinema chains in the country and reflect the national ranking the most by operating 1/3 of all screens in the country. Movix (226 screens) comes in third, but they don't release weekend rankings. Fourth is Sunshine (165 screens), Korona (150 screens) is fifth but they also don't release weekend rankings. Shikoku (116 screens) is actually the seventh biggest chain, but they're the fourth biggest that releases weekend rankings.