Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

So the BOM average is basically useless because each film's tickets were sold at different prices. This depends on genre (e.g. animated films have lower prices), format (3D, IMAX is more expensive) and location (each cinema has different prices). The only thing that the BOM average can be used for is to calculate the total number of admissions sold in one year for all films combined. Other than that, it is pretty much useless and indicates -once more- why BOM is not as accurate as it claims to be. I think it is unacceptable that BOM actually has an inflation-adjusted chart which they know is inaccurate. For example, here they state that Toy Story 3 sold fewer admissions than Toy Story 2 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3042&p=.htm) but the all-time chart says otherwise (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm). I assume the article is true since the chart is definitely wrong.

Useless for individual films, but if you want to do this:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/monthly/?view=calendargross&chart=byyear&yr=2003&view=calendargross&adjust_yr=2013&p=.htmIt's accurate.

Then how come there's this?

http://www.eiren.org/toukei/img/eiren_kosyu/data_2005.pdf

It's Eiren's 2005 list and has Howl's at 19.6b. Wouldn't they have had the correct figure by then?

Then how come there's this?

http://www.eiren.org/toukei/img/eiren_kosyu/data_2005.pdf

It's Eiren's 2005 list and has Howl's at 19.6b. Wouldn't they have had the correct figure by then?

They also have Howl on their 2004 list at 20.0 billion (head scratching time).    

It's really hard to say with Eiren due to the annoying thing about the box-office year starting in late November/early December (this is true for other forms of media in Japan, too, however).   Being the Executive Producer's of Japan, you'd think they'd have some firm ruling on this issue, but there are many examples of films being released in that frame falling in the year it's released or the following year no matter how much they grossed before/after the cut off date (usually one of the last days of November).  Films that are released during that frame, which Howl was, are often estimated by them if they have long runs.  The Wind Rises was still in theaters after they issued their 2013 results earlier this year, so it's possible that 12.02 billion isn't the final gross there either.  

They also have Howl on their 2004 list at 20.0 billion (head scratching time).It's really hard to say with Eiren due to the annoying thing about the box-office year starting in late November/early December (this is true for other forms of media in Japan, too, however).   Being the Executive Producer's of Japan, you'd think they'd have some firm ruling on this issue, but there are many examples of films being released in that frame falling in the year it's released or the following year no matter how much they grossed before/after the cut off date (usually one of the last days of November).  Films that are released during that frame, which Howl was, are often estimated by them if they have long runs.  The Wind Rises was still in theaters after they issued their 2013 results earlier this year, so it's possible that 12.02 billion isn't the final gross there either.

Not in Japanese:http://www.eiren.org/toukei/img/eiren_kosyu/data_2004.pdfI agree that it's annoying, but they're system is generally OK, Howl's is a worse case than normal because of when it was released and how big it was. Edited by lab276

So the BOM average is basically useless because each film's tickets were sold at different prices. This depends on genre (e.g. animated films have lower prices), format (3D, IMAX is more expensive) and location (each cinema has different prices). The only thing that the BOM average can be used for is to calculate the total number of admissions sold in one year for all films combined. Other than that, it is pretty much useless and indicates -once more- why BOM is not as accurate as it claims to be. I think it is unacceptable that BOM actually has an inflation-adjusted chart which they know is inaccurate.

For example, here they state that Toy Story 3 sold fewer admissions than Toy Story 2 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3042&p=.htm) but the all-time chart says otherwise (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm). I assume the article is true since the chart is definitely wrong.

Yes, pretty much.  But its possible to find the all of the actual prices for one year and then use that as a base year to estimate adjusted figures, which I've done before.  That's only possible granted you also have the format % splits for the film in question.

In late Spring of 2005, nearing the end of Howl's run, Toho expanded the film and heavily promoted it for the Summer.  If you own the DVD, the actual promotional trailer talking about the expansion for the Summer is there with the tagline  "14 million people have seen the film, and here's your last chance to see Howl and Sophie's love story on the big screen again".  Along those lines anyway.  The expansion boosted it by ¥2.4 billion (1.5 million admissions), from ¥19.6 billion (14 million admissions) to ¥22.0 billion (15.5 million admissions).  If you want another source, here: http://www.tohokingdom.com/anime/howls_moving_castle.htm#bo

So, pretty much the same as what Disney did with The Lion King (big business through the summer, stayed in a few theaters through the fall, and a big expansion at Thanksgiving).  That makes sense, and explains a lot.

TOHO afternoon update: 21316

Up 456.8% from last Thursday (which was a normal weekday), and up 14.3% from Wednesday. So looks like it is gonna be bigger than yesterday.

Complete afternoon numbers for the top 5:

TOHOFrozen - 21316(LW 3828)+456.8%Thermae II - 18068Partners 3 - 9394TASM 2 - 8396Conan - 6441(LW 2063)+212.2%109Frozen - 5098(LW 963)+429.4%Thermae II - 4886Partners 3 - 2850TSAM2 - 2210Conan - 1333(LW 465)+186.7%KINEZOFrozen - 4668(LW 925)+404.6%Thermae II - 3382Partners 3 - 2924TSAM2 - 1811Conan - 1260(LW 383)+229.0%

Edited by catlover
  • Like 5

Im going with 29.01m for week 8. A record not to be broken for many many years

Murgatroyd ...29.74

Ray.................29.16

mfantin..........29.01

Henry I...........27.72

pepsa. ...........27.25

catlover..........26.62

Olive...............26.55

kingslayer. ....26.00

Queen Elsa.....25.80

Incredible.......25.52

Chucky...........24.98

Tong Kosong.24.42

DamienRoc....24.601

Quigquag.......23.40

Rysu...............23.27

rhfqkddl45.....23.00

Predictions due by 1415 monday, before 109 reports

go with 2 decimals. One winner only then.

I'd like to see one crazy bastard go higher than me at least once! Ive been under more than I've been over. 2people, nice.

7hours to post time. Anymore takers?

Monday is going to be either toho 10/20k up 33% from last week w some people off, 14/28k like SB monday w 1/2 off or above 20/40k w a majority off. Not sure which. Place your bets for bragging rights and a cup chai!

Predictions for the week could still be anyone. Will this weekend be a boondoggle like last weekend or be sublime?

Incardine   10.80m

Omni  10.00

mfantin 9.92

DamienRoc 9.753.197

Quigley 9.46

pepsa 9.25

Hans   8.70

Kingslayer   9.00

Cap Henry II  8.58

Tong Kosong 8.50

Cynosure   8.30

Rysu   8.00

Low man on the list, Olive, won with his 7.5m prediction last weekend. Im thinking someone high on the list will win the week.

What you say for the weekend? Go with 2 decimals, no ties.

Edited by mfantin65

Predictions for the week could still be anyone. Will this weekend be a boondoggle like last weekend or be sublime?mfantin...............9.9mLow man on the list Olive won with his 7.5m prediction last weekend. Im thinking someone high on the list will win the week.What you say for the weekend?

Just because I want to see a weekend over 10 I'll go with 10.8

• Like 2

$8M prediction. Could someone tell me why this weekend will see such a huge increase over last? GW should affect weekdays the most as most people rest during the weekend anyway. I only foresee a slight bump happening. 

Frozen Weekend admissions 

1st Week  - 602,347  ($7.53m)

2nd Week - 680,855  ($8.53m)

3rd Week - 691,321  ($8.56m)

4th Week - 642,489  ($8.23m)

5th Week - 623,785  ($8.28m)  

6th Week - 628,314  ($8.04m)

7th Week - 566,750  ($7.55m)
Edited by Hans13
  • Like 2

$8M prediction. Could someone tell me why this weekend will see such a huge increase over last? GW should affect weekdays the most as most people rest during the weekend anyway. I only foresee a slight bump happening. 

Two holidays on the weekend followed by a holiday.

No work or school on Monday should make sunday evening bigger.

Saturday, normally a work day for many,  should now be like sunday.

Screen, seat expansion

Roman bath bumped 29% two years ago. IM3 fell. No guarantee but you know frozen