Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

That is a ton of sell outs for pre-sales. I wonder if Monday could end up beating that amazing Sunday number? :blink:

It would be awesome if Frozen's biggest single day could be topped yet again. Tuesday became the new biggest day, then Saturday edged it out and then Sunday raised the bar yet again. If Monday does it that would be the 4th time in the last week.

Animation in general isn't particularly weak in Latin America, they actually do very well... Just not Frozen. Compare Frozen there to Ice Age 4 and you will see:

Ouch, that's painful to learn. Ice Age, of all animation, is doing great (double than Frozen) in South America? I don't want to know why...

I don't know, I just have this nagging feeling that Europeans (and by extension South America being culturally close to Spain) don't take animation as seriously as North Americans. I don't even have to mention how Japan treats animation compared to the rest of the world - I don't think Japanese needs nieces and nephews as an excuse to go watch a Disney animation. Might this be one possible explanation why Frozen has been doing crazy there? Not sure about China though. Anyway, I'm desperate to read some article as to why it has been such a monster in Japan.

I do not agree with that. Maybe in Frozen's case Asian countries and US have prefered this movie over Europe, but I do not think it is a general case. In top 10 adjusted ever in Germany there are 3 animated movies (including the biggest, Jungle Book). In top 25 adjusted in France, there are 8 animated movies. In Spain, Frozen has grossed 21 million $, what in terms of market size is equivalent to something close to 300 million in USA. Europe loves animation too... 

The problem can be that some people do not consider that Frozen is THAT good. IMHO, it is a quite good movie, but I do not include it in the top 5 of animated movies. And I do not know if it could be in top 10. Said this, I do not have a reasoning to know why some countries have preferred it over others.

I don't know, I just have this nagging feeling that Europeans (and by extension South America being culturally close to Spain) don't take animation as seriously as North Americans. I don't even have to mention how Japan treats animation compared to the rest of the world - I don't think Japanese needs nieces and nephews as an excuse to go watch a Disney animation. Might this be one possible explanation why Frozen has been doing crazy there? Not sure about China though.

Hmm.. I think it's actually the opposite, especially for South America. Animations are HUGE there. For example, according to BOM, in Venezuela, animated films have always been the #1 movie of the year since 2008 (except 2013 where Frozen is #2). In 2012, 4 of the yearly top 5 were animated films, and in 2010, the whole top 3 were animated films with Tangled at #1. The same with Argentina. Since 2004, the #1 movie of the year are all animated films (except in 2007 & 2009). I mean even Cars 2 was the biggest 2011 film there! Similar thing in other countries like Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico. If I'm not mistaken, in Mexico Toy Story 3 is one of the biggest films of all time.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Ouch, that's painful to learn. Ice Age, of all animation, is doing great (double than Frozen) in South America? I don't want to know why...

Different countries have different tastes, it's just the way it is. In my country for example, each of the 2 Smurfs films made more than double what Frozen made.

• Like 2

Per Corpse

Toho Cinemas Weekend Admissions (05/03-04)

Admissions (% change from last Wkd.) - Film (Dis.) Week in Release
178,854 (+43.2%) - Frozen (Disney) Week 8
94,942 (+11.8%) - Thermae Romae II (Toho) Week 2
69,710 (-6.2%) - Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) Week 3
47,813(-18.3%) - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony) Week 2
34,140 (-6.8%) - Partners the Movie 3 (Toei) Week 2
31,068 (+5.9%) - Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes (Toho) Week 3
29,538 (NEW) - Enchanted Kingdom 3D (Toho-Towa) NEW
29,089 (NEW) - My Little Nightmare (Toho) NEW

>Frozen has its biggest weekend at Toho Cinemas to date, and this just so happens to be the most-attended weekend for any film at Toho Cinemas since at least 2010 (Alice in Wonderland's Opening Weekend), and its an 8th weekend...

>Thermae Romae II seeing a possible double digit second weekend increase is very good.

>Detective Conan decreasing is pretty peculiar, but given how far its tracking ahead of every other film in the franchise, maybe its expected. Monday is also a the biggest holiday of Golden Week for children, so that may have something to do with deflating the weekend slightly.

>The Amazing Spider-Man 2 drops a little more than expected here, but the weekend estimates (which I'll post shortly) are more kind. Aeon Cinemas is probably the first choice chain for it.

I didn't think it was possible, but following the Japan run is turning out to be even more fun than the early weeks of the SK run. With a movie as big as Frozen has turned out to be it's only fitting that the last international market that gets it will be its biggest. Frozen gets to go out with a bang!

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

hehe. I like this post  :D

Actually, Frozen was indeed pretty big in Venezuela, its just that there is another local movie "Papita, Maní, Tostón" (witch is pretty good by the way) that people here really liked and that became the competition for Frozen.

Had it not been for that movie and the riots in Febraury, Frozen would have snapped Ice Age 4 here.

Plus, Frozen came out in many South American countries in January, witch is the start of school, had it been released in December it would have made much bigger bussiness. Its not much about preference, its more about the timing of its release

Why has Frozen had a big bump?

The bump happened because of Golden Week, a week with a lot of national holidays. This weekend alone there are 4 national holidays in a row (Sat-Tue). Golden Week has been one of the biggest periods for Japanese box office because of this. As for why it has a bigger bump than others, well, because it's Frozen :P. But seriously, Frozen has become a once-in-a-decade phenomenon there, or even more than that, it's constantly in the media, the singalong is a success, the soundtrack is huge, its popularity is like a snowball, getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

New schedule for admissions count:

● Saturday14:15 MOVIX Preliminary results14:20 109 Preliminary results14:25 KINEZO Preliminary results14:30 TOHO Preliminary results18:45 MOVIX Preliminary results18:50 109 Preliminary results18:55 KINEZO Preliminary results19:00 TOHO Preliminary results23:00 MOVIX final tally23:30 109 final tally24:25 KINEZO final tally24:30 TOHO final tally

● Saturday except14:15 MOVIX Preliminary results14:20 109 Preliminary results14:25 KINEZO Preliminary results14:30 TOHO Preliminary results21:55 109 final tally22:00 TOHO final tally23:00 MOVIX final tally24:25 KINEZO final tally

It seems that from next week, every thursday at 7.00 they updated number of seats and screens expected for weekend. We'll see.

No word can describe Frozen's run.

12M on its 8th weekend! After almost 2 months on release, Frozen's weekend gross is still able to challenge the sum of every other releases' gross. Absolutely sdfflòjkvlòpwòd!

Japan...je t'aime!

Edited by Omni
  • Like 2

m            t            w            t             f            s            s

Second..19967--21651--43281--26963--68297--67663--72506
Third ..28363--34679--83765--40795--37218--58906--80440
Fourth..40807--69958--74515--39964--38667--61448--67696
Eighth..26157--80125--41542--49236--24957--82492--96537 (tue+5000)

Biggest Weeks [TOHO admissions]

1. 8th Week -  406,046

2. 4th Week -  393,055  ($23,513,838 ) 

3. 3rd Week -  364,166  ($22,043,881 )

4. 2nd Week-  320,328  ($19,804,015 )

*() BOM data
Edited by Hans13
  • Like 1

The voice of Ray Subers: Box Office Mojo ‏@boxofficemojo 4 min'Frozen' had its best weekend yet in Japan ($11.1M). Through eight weekends, the animated hit has grossed over $143M: http://bit.ly/1i9dVxB This time could be in right: 11,1M$ / 178000 toho adm = 62 toho x (past weekend 60,5). I think toho admissions are inflated by great success of singalong.

but toho squared back up mon-wed. I thought last weekend was an anomaly. Other theaters expanded this weekend as well.

Damn, I'm getting pretty good with my Japan guesses. Last weekend it looked like I was going to be closest until we got that weird lowball number (I still think there's something odd about last weekend) and this weekend I'm closest on both week and weekend numbers, although I don't think that will hold up with actuals, which is fine with me since I really want the numbers to go up. :DStill, considering I've never tracked boxoffice in Japan before Frozen, I think I'm getting the hang on how boxoffice works there. B)

time for another challenge then, while we wait for results.this week will be another one both fun and hard to predict. Mon and Tues are holidays, wed-fri may have a gw boots effect or not. Will the weekend hold above OW one more time? Predictions due by 13:00 Tokyo time before Monday's numbers roll in.For the week. Mon-SunDamienroc........24.601Murgatroyd.......23.10Mfantin..............22.98mOmni..................22.22Godzilla.............22.00Rysu...................21.21Incardine...........21.12SanComedian...20.70Hans13..............20.50Kingslayer.........19.70tong Kosong.....18.88 Edited by mfantin65