Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Weekend Estimates are out for the openers.

'Kamen Rider The Movie: Everyone, Space Is Here!' was down a hefty 40% compared to the opening weekend of April's Kamen Rider release. The Summer Kamen Rider films always do less than the Winter and Spring releases, but this one only looks good for 200-225,000 admissions and likely a sub 300 million yen ($3-3.5 million) weekend.

'Madagascar 3' was up 38% over 'Brave's opening weekend. That should give it close to 150,000 admissions and just over 200 million yen ($2.5-2.7 million) for the weekend. No data was released for it's 5-day total besides the opening day gross of 101 million yen ($1.2 million).

'Another' did pretty well and will make the Top 10 by selling about 58% of the tickets 'Sadako 3D' did on opening weekend. That'll give it near 100,000 admissions and 125-150 million yen ($1.5-2 million) for the weekend.

Unfortunately, no data has been released for the holdovers, though with the latest 'Kamen Rider' film opening on the low-end of the franchise, 'Umizaru 4' will claim it's fourth-consecutive week in first.

August 4-5

Weekend Cinema Chain Rankings

Toho (513 Screens)

1 (1) Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) Week 4

2 (4) The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) Week 3

3 (-) Kamen Rider Fourze The Movie: Everyone, Space is Here! (TOEI) NEW

4 (3) The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros.) Week 2

5 (-) Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Paramount) NEW

6 (6) Pokemon BW: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) Week 4

7 (2) Naruto: Road to Ninja (Toho) Week 2

8 (5) Eight Ranger (Toho) Week 2

9 (-) Another (Kadokawa Pictures/Toho) NEW

10 (7) Heruta Skelter (Asmik Ace)

Pretty incredible jump for 'Wolf Children' and quite the tumble for 'Naruto'.

Warner (496), Sunshine (165), and Shikoku (116) will be posted later tonight.

The chains I update (including the two largest chains - Toho and Warner) represent 38% of all screens in the country.

Edited by Corpse

I've been posting Cinema Chain rankings for years now (months here :P) and haven't explained much about them.

In total, there are 3,412 movie screens in Japan and more than a dozen Cinema Chains. The two largest chains, Toho and Warner, operate close to a third (1,009) of all screens and their weekend updates most resemble the nationwide weekend rankings. I'm not sure if it's because Toho is the largest chain or not, but they're always first to report their weekend rankings, too.

Top 7 Cinema Chains (Screens) - Percentage of Total

Toho (513 Screens) - 15.04%

Warner (496 Screens) - 14.54%

Movix (226 Screens) - 6.62%

United (202 Screens) - 5.92%

Sunshine (165 Screens) - 4.84%

Korona (150 Screens) - 4.40%

Shikoku (116 Screens) - 3.40%

Of these Top 7 Cinema Chains, Toho, Warner, Sunshine, and Shikoku provide weekend ranking updates before the nationwide weekend ranking is released every Sunday (Monday morning in Japan). So, those are the ones I update almost every week. United sometimes releases their weekend ranking via tweets (usually for a major weekend), but the inconsistency makes using them on a weekly basis unreliable.

There are still a few more Cinema Chains that operate 100 screens or more (no more than 116 though) but I don't remember the exact counts.

name one country where Brave made more than Madagascar 3

Uh?, I'm not talking about Mad 3 markets, I'm refering about Pixar's successful trajectory in Japan, it has always lead there and has made every other american animated film look like a joke

Kamen Rider still exists? Wow. Can I see a trailer of the last films? One that you think that it's good, corpse?

Yup, it's nearing the 50th theatrical release film very soon. I'll send you a couple trailers soon.

How did Cars 2 with crappy reviews make nearly 40M?

Reviews were actually solid. On par and even slightly better than Brave's reviews on a few movies sites like Yahoo! Movies or Eiga.Brave is just a huge misfire by Pixar this time around. Poor marketing (too dark, too serious), reliance on 3D, and the perfect film released on the same weekend to counter all that (Wolf Children). Edited by Corpse

Nah, Studio Ghibli for example had a misfire once too, My Neighbors The Yamadas, and the biggest film of all time followed that one (Spirited Away).Monsters, Inc. 2 will do very, very well.

Can Monsters Inc 2 reach 100M? How's the buzz for TA? Since it's opening in a week or so.