Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

So you guys are saying that the announcement of the DVD release didn't and will not have any effect at all until it's release ?

As I explained before, it is possible that it has some effect when combined with other factors, but it is absurd to think that is the only problem and is much more absurd and also pretty ridiculous to ask Disney to delay the release date, also seen that in the home video market Frozen is making record sales in the whole world. Unless this is a joke.

As I explained before, it is possible that it has some effect when combined with other factors, but it is absurd to think that is the only problem and is much more absurd and also pretty ridiculous to ask Disney to delay the release date, also seen that in the home video market Frozen is making record sales in the whole world. Unless this is a joke.

I agree with that statement, that's what I have been trying to say. The DVD announcement is not the only reason, it's one of the reasons. But you previously stated that the idea of the DVD announcement had an impact is ridiculous.

This is a pretty ridiculous point of view. People don't goes to the cinema because in two months Dvd and Vod are released? It's absurd. Maybe after, like in North America.

Really double digit drops happened after the super sunday discount day in the first of june (with about 700K 2-days admissions in 12th weekend) and continued with 14th sunday, when world cup started,moreover not in good way, for japanese team. When the effect of this two events ended we will see another time one digit drops and a progressive loss of screens and seats until for one reason or another Frozen will end its run.

Edited by tong kosong
  • Like 1

I don't remember exactly when the DVD announcement came out. It may have been in January that we first got wind of it, though. In any case: What Frozen established in January and February was a pattern of solid holds followed by larger drops, but overall it held up extremely strong. The biggest drop came after the Presidents/Valentines weekend. That was also coincidentally right after the VOD release, but if you check out the early March holds, it still remained strong.

The official press release for both the Blu-ray release and Digital HD release came in early January, but the March 18 release date for the Blu-ray had been known publicly since mid-November. Most Blu-ray releases for Hollywood films have publicly known release dates by the time the films open in theaters, with obvious exceptions such as Veronica Mars (which was dated by a couple weeks after the successful Kickstarter).

At the time, no one thought much of it, since the March date was in the ballpark of previous WDAS November films -- Tangled hit end of March, Ralph hit mid-February. It wasn't until late December that I remember people on Blu-ray.com clamoring that Disney needed to push back the March release date, and that we'd hopefully find out for sure when the official announcement was expected later, sometime after New Year's.

This isn't a problem with Disney releasing the dvd early, it is ALL studios are doing it since they are greedy. Even Catching Fire had a shorter time in theaters than Frozen before it came out on video, and EVERYONE knew that movie was going to be huge.

I've always thought that the proverbial 'loss of momentum' was about to come, that's why I wanted Frozen's weekends to remain around 7M as long as possible.

I'd put it this way:

*Without the DVD announcement, both Spirited Away's 244M $ and Titanic's 26B Yen were locked, but 300M $ was far from being a sure thing

*With the DVD announcement, 26B and 300M became completely unreachable, and even 244M is in serious jeopardy.

Next weekend will tell us how much of an impact the early DVD release actually had. In Japan, major phenomena like SA, Frozen & Co don't experience many 'harsh' drops in a row: usually after a couple of bad weekends they manage a very nice hold, competition or not. Now, last weekend Frozen did something like 3.85M. I'd put it this way:

> if it makes 3.5+, then the drops have very little to do with the early dvd release

> if it makes 3/3.5, then we'll still be in a limbo of uncertainty

> if it makes sub-3, then we'll be pretty sure about the dvd being a major factor

I agree with that statement, that's what I have been trying to say. The DVD announcement is not the only reason, it's one of the reasons. But you previously stated that the idea of the DVD announcement had an impact is ridiculous.

I've always thought that the proverbial 'loss of momentum' was about to come, that's why I wanted Frozen's weekends to remain around 7M as long as possible.

I'd put it this way:

*Without the DVD announcement, both Spirited Away's 244M $ and Titanic's 26B Yen were locked, but 300M $ was far from being a sure thing

*With the DVD announcement, 26B and 300M became completely unreachable, and even 244M is in serious jeopardy.

Next weekend will tell us how much of an impact the early DVD release actually had. In Japan, major phenomena like SA, Frozen & Co don't experience many 'harsh' drops in a row: usually after a couple of bad weekends they manage a very nice hold, competition or not. Now, last weekend Frozen did something like 3.85M. I'd put it this way:

> if it makes 3.5+, then the drops have very little to do with the early dvd release

> if it makes 3/3.5, then we'll still be in a limbo of uncertainty

> if it makes sub-3, then we'll be pretty sure about the dvd being a major factor

I repeat for the umpteenth time: I can agree that the advertisement of the DVD may have influenced in some way the cinema run for this movie, but this is the first time in many years that I follow the boxoffice that someone with so much importance. Advertising the DVD is done all over the world and for all the movies and everyone knows that every film released in theaters later is also released on DVD, while for example world cup hurt the boxoffice for a monty every four years. In our case it is good to remember that this thing has been emphasized by the same person who predicted 400M$, so a not too reliable source.

I repeat for the umpteenth time: I can agree that the advertisement of the DVD may have influenced in some way the cinema run for this movie, but [...]

You don't need to "repeat" it so many times, it's not like your agreement is critical and I wasn't referring to you before.

Japan's behaviour when it comes to beasts like Frozen or SA or others is quite clear and I don't think it has ever shown any exception. This is not the USA, this is Japan. The way it performs in the coming weekends will give us a reliable idea of how much the dvd announcement has impacted the box office.

From Corpse:

Best Multipliers (Wide-Releases) [1998-]01. 30.37 - Spirited Away (July, 2001)02. 30.26 - Frozen (Mar., 2014) [94 Days in Release]03. 26.99 - Princess Mononoke (July, 1997)04. 26.13 - Avatar (Dec., 2009)05. 23.21 - Departures (Dec., 2008) 06. 19.96 - Les Miserabes (Dec., 2012) 07. 16.44 - The Cat Returns (July, 2002)08. 16.05 - The Eternal Zero (Dec., 2013) [Estimate]09. 15.69 - Monsters, Inc. (Mar., 2002)10. 15.25 - The Last Samurai (Dec., 2003)11. 14.98 - Ponyo (July, 2008)12. 14.84 - Howl's Moving Castle (Nov., 2004)13. 14.81 - Always: Sunset on Third Street (Nov., 2005)14. 14.25 - Confessions (June, 2010)15. 13.96 - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (July, 2003)16. 13.83 - Thermae Romae (Apr., 2012)17. 13.64 - Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World (May, 2004)18. 13.09 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Dec., 2001)19. 12.98 - Summer Wars (Aug., 2009)20. 12.88 - Ted (Jan., 2013) 21. 12.51 - The Wind Rises (July, 2013) 22. 12.50 - The Phantom of the Opera (Jan., 2005)23. 12.48 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (Aug., 2003)24. 12.24 - Finding Nemo (Dec., 2003)25. 11.56 - The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (July, 2012)

Frozen is on the verge of beating SA's multiplier. 

• Like 3

This is not the USA, this is Japan.

Someone in this forum said that the DVD market in Japan is not that great, definitely lower than in North America, so the impact should be lower. If japaneses buy few discs, because this should be more impact than in other countries? Other, it seems that Frozen is beating SA opening weekend multiplier, this means that it had reach the highest level of exploitation of the potential audience ever seen.

Edited by edroger

I want to know Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday admissions. Who can present it to this forum?

I will be grateful

Estimates

Day tkm1 adm  mult   adm   gross

88 mon  13.921   43,67 49.420 $607.930

89 tue 8.351   43,67 29.646 $364.688

89 wed  19.208    43,67 68.188 $838.813 (at 19.30)

• Like 2

Someone in this forum said that the DVD market in Japan is not that great, definitely lower than in North America, so the impact should be lower. If japaneses buy few discs, because this should be more impact than in other countries? Other, it seems that Frozen is beating SA opening weekend multiplier, this means that it had reach the highest level of exploitation of the potential audience ever seen.

The rental market is still well alive in Japan.

The presales show Frozen breaking this trend to some degree, so unfortunately it looks like this will have a decent impact on the box office.

And I repeat for the umpteenth time: rental. And it's also having a humongous presales.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

And I repeat for the umpteenth time: rental. And it's also having a humongous presales.

Since everyone keeps talking about it continuously, I'm trying to learn as much as possible on the issue of DVD. Looking at the site Amazon Japanese i have see that actually the DVD/BR of Frozen is already # 1 bestseller a month before the release (as has been all over the world) while the BR only is #5 and 3D version is 12#. And this despite the prices are scary. With these prices and these numbers will be very likely that sales in home video (adding digital and phisical rentals) will outpace cinema grosses. It's fantastic. Congrats to Disney.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/ref=sv_d_3

Don't worry Frozen is going to beat Harry! Sooner or later Frozen is going to get a re-release! Disney always does that  ;)

I want Frozen to have an extended version and have a re-release in USA. It may make $50 million if they add 20 to 30 minutues. They should time it right and release after the summer. Avatar had a re-release, so why not Frozen :)

I was disappointed by the deleted scenes on the Frozen Blu-ray as they weren't upto my expectations and it was totally unfinished work (bunch of crappy drawings). They said that one of the reasons why these scenes were not included was due to "length of the movie". I don't know how anyone would think a 1hr 48min movie is long  :blink: ... The top ten movies WW excluding Frozen were all over 2 hours (average is 2hr 36min), with the longest movie being 3hr 20min.

Frozen is the shortest movie in length (over 20 minutes shorter than the next shortest movie) to be in the top ten WW. There, another lame record broken (negatively)

I hope studios start realizing that "kids" are not the ones making money for animated movies. Its the parents and a whole lot of adults with no kids. Making 2hr+ animated movies should be the norm. Heck I may sometimes waste up to 1hr 30min for commute to the IMAX theater and back and maybe the line-up at the box office and for the food at the theater ... so a movie that is 90 minutes is like a long short film for me  :D

Animated movies are not meant just for kids ... what kind of kid would understand the first 15 minutes of UP.

I am just saying this cuz I think the reason for the shorter time for the animated movies is due to the studios thinking that the kids cannot pay attention longer than 1hr 30min to 1hr 45min. And I don't care about the kid having to pee ... lol.

Edited by Annayya
  • Like 4