Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

1 hour ago, danhtruong5 said:

It seems Frozen 2 drop 50% show on this weekend FSS (infor from someone one Corpse page)

An animated movie which can work well on holiday and day off, is going to enjoy the fresh air of holiday for the first time since it release 1 month ago..

Lets cut it show time 50%

F2: am I a joke to you

Corpse has explained this. Frozen 2 had been holding an unnecessarily huge amount of seats anyway, due to light competition. So cutting it 50% will not effect it that much. But where did you get 50%? Because I don't think it's that many. Also, it's still very early, but it looks like Frozen 2 is holding really well so far today.

• Like 4

From Corpse:

SW9 will debut at #1 will little trouble, but I'm not seeing any ticket sales right now to suggest it'll beat the opening weekends of the previous two films (it's slightly ahead of The Last Jedi at the moment), at least by much. It could end up matching/beating them though, more or less, since all the prequels and current sequels have comparable opening weekends (when you compare the 3-day totals), clearly indicating a dedicated core fanbase. It's the holds after the opening that go on to differ a good bit.

And Frozen II ended up losing only ~35% of its seating, nowhere near 50%. It's also holding very well against Star Wars on Friday, currently down 15/20% versus last Friday near the mid-day point.

And for our manga/anime fans: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising, the second film based on the popular manga/anime, is looking pretty good this weekend, too, despite the competition. It's hard to compare it to the first film due to the release date difference (December versus August), but it's doing well at the moment.

I'll be tracking Star Wars IX over the weekend (hourly ticket sale updates), and keep updates posted for Frozen II and My Hero Academia as well.

• Like 1

See, F2 only lost around 35% seats. I don't know where that 50% came from. Isn't it exhausting to constantly be in overreaction/panic mode? 😅 

Usual locations 14.00 update:

SW9 - 88,466

Frozen 2 - 13,926 (-4.5% from LW)

Both are doing great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Is a sign of good audience reception a good thing? Sure, I think so. I'm not the biggest SW fan, but I'm not one to actively root against a movie to fail. There's too much negativity online nowadays, why contribute to it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin4125 said:

Is a sign of good audience reception a good thing? Sure, I think so. I'm not the biggest SW fan, but I'm not one to actively root against a movie to fail. There's too much negativity online nowadays, why contribute to it?

True, but the public can critique a film - whether they like it or not ~

• Thanks 1

From Corpse:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker finished Saturday just 6% behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens and 3% behind Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

And while it should have beaten them, being a conclusion film and all which typically enjoy bigger opening weekends than their predecessors, this is still a strong result following the negative reaction towards The Last Jedi. Despite opening almost on par with The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi finished 36% below it to become the most-frontloaded and lowest-grossing Star Wars film since Episode XI.

I highly doubt Episode XI will be as disliked or frontloaded as Episode VIII, so it should have a healthier multiplier and end up outgrossing it, even if it ends up with a slightly lower opening weekend. It's still very early, but a total of ¥8/9 billion ($70-80 million) is achievable.

>Frozen II was down about 38% Sat.-to-Sat., which is a little higher than expected, but not too alarming as long as it delivers on Sunday. Last Sunday was a bit deflated, so it should recover tomorrow and likely drop around 25/30% for the weekend.

>My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising, the second film based on the popular manga/anime franchise, enjoyed a good start, having a Saturday slightly higher than its predecessor by around 2/3%. It's aiming for a third place debut.

>The latest Kamen Rider film (I'll look up its title later, I'm in a hurry at the moment), is doing its thing and will basically debut with a similar opening as some of of the franchise's recent entries. It's also aiming for a third place debut, but it'll probably settle for fourth.

>How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World will just barely debut in the Top 10, and it's not doing very well, but at least it received a theatrical release in the market this time.

• Thanks 1

Star Wars Box-Office History:

Opening Weekends (3-Day/Previews Included):
01. ¥1.879 billion / 1,357,977 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
02. ¥1.619 billion / 1,044,330 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
03. ¥1.617 billion / 1,058,269 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
04. ¥1.604 billion / 1,138,689 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack on the Clones (2002)
05. ¥920.6 million / 599,943 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
06. ¥658.3 million / 486,380 - Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Note: The opening weekends for the original trilogy are unknown, as is the opening weekend for Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, which is surprising. However, Episode I reportedly sold 500,000+ tickets on its first day, and if Sunday behaved the same way then as it does today, it should have sold 1.1/1.2 million tickets on its opening weekend.

Totals:
01. ¥12.70 billion ($109.9 million) / 8.30 million - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
02. ¥11.63 billion ($96.3 million) / 7.48 million - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
03. ¥9.35 billion ($78.4 million) / 6.80 million - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
04. ¥9.17 billion ($82.7 million) / 6.60 million - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
05. ¥7.51 billion ($66.3 million) / 5.05 million - Star Wars: Last Jedi (2017)
06. ¥6.58 billion ($33.9 million) / 6.87 million - Star Wars: Episode I - A New Hope (1978)
07. ¥5.30 billion ($22.2 million) / 4.85 million - Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)
08. ¥4.95 billion ($21.9 million) / 4.90 million - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
09. ¥4.63 billion ($39.9 million) / 3.08 million - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
10. ¥2.14 billion ($19.2 million) / 1.52 million - Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is on track for a 3-day opening on par with Episodes II, VII and VII, aiming for around ¥1.6 billion with 1.05 million admissions. Absolute incredible consistency among the main series of films. And it really should manage to outgross The Last Jedi. I have a difficult time believing it'll have equal or worse legs. It's not likely to match any of the prequels in total though, but could come fairly close to Episodes II and III.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sunday also looks like dropping 35%. I think @Jedi Jat did predict this. But good news is school break starting tomorrow. So weekdays will be elevated. Next weekend will it stay flat or increase? what does @RJ 95 think?

Jedi Jat predicted 45% drop for weekend (the same as Fantastic Beast drop when RO debut) , not 35%.

1 minute ago, danhtruong5 said:

Jedi Jat predicted 45% drop for weekend (the same as Fantastic Beast drop when RO debut) , not 35%.

He predicted it will drop not so soft. I am not talking about precise drop. But the weekdays including friday were looking really strong and friday SW9 had opened as well. But weekend drop was no where that soft. I guess loss of premium screens/shows affected weekend more as that is when F2 audience normally come in. friday to saturday increases are crazy in Japan and this weekend was softer.

Still things will turn around tomorrow and so it would be interesting to see how next 2 weeks are.

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sunday also looks like dropping 35%. I think @Jedi Jat did predict this. But good news is school break starting tomorrow. So weekdays will be elevated. Next weekend will it stay flat or increase? what does @RJ 95 think?

Well back in 2013 with same day in calendar, top 10 movies drop around 25-40% in 28-29 December weekend. With Frozen probably if there isn't any major local animated release next weekend probably can hold in 15-20% at least. Weekdays holidays for next week and upcoming new year holidays probably will deflate its weekend number imo.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RJ 95 said:

Well back in 2013 with same day in calendar, top 10 movies drop around 25-40% in 28-29 December weekend. With Frozen probably if there isn't any major local animated release next weekend probably can hold in 15-20% at least. Weekdays holidays for next week and upcoming new year holidays probably will deflate its weekend number imo.

Thanks. But it should increase weekend after that right. Plus will it cross $100m before end of holidays?

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thanks. But it should increase weekend after that right. Plus will it cross $100m before end of holidays?

yup surely will increase on 4-5th January weekend. It will be close but i think it will pass $100m on 11-12 January weekend. We'll see first how strong its next weekdays.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1