Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sing could overtake Moana.

Any final numbers for Kong? Last it was around 18 usd.

¥1.98 billion ($17.6 million) / 1.33 million [44 Days in Release] - Kong: Skull Island (Warner Bros.)

11 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

¥1.98 billion ($17.6 million) / 1.33 million [44 Days in Release] - Kong: Skull Island (Warner Bros.)

Thanks.

Dang it. 25 from Japan would have taken it low 570s and it has 3-4 more to come WW (~1.5 dom + ~2 OS-Japan) so 575+ was possible.

Looking at high 560s, which is a great.

Edited by a2knet

28 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

It has nothing to do with Disney. Detective Conan movies pretty much get the same multiplier every year (5-5.5) regardless of competition. Same thing for Shin-chan movies, Doraemon movies, Pokemon movies, etc.

Alrighty thanks. I admit I'm new Japan box office. So sorry for being naïve. Was looking at Box Office Mojo. Seem children movies do quiet well in Japan or am I reading to much into that?

12 minutes ago, Momo said:

Alrighty thanks. I admit I'm new Japan box office. So sorry for being naïve. Was looking at Box Office Mojo. Seem children movies do quiet well in Japan or am I reading to much into that?

Yup. Japan is probably the most animation supporting market in the world, and to some extent, family films. Also, the only form of competition in Japan is the fight for screens, and the rest is up to WOM. There's a reason why during Spring Break we see three animated films dominates and even block Kong from top 3.

2 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Yup. Japan is probably the most animation supporting market in the world, and to some extent, family films. Also, the only form of competition in Japan is the fight for screens, and the rest is up to WOM. There's a reason why during Spring Break we see three animated films dominates and even block Kong from top 3.

Yeah, I saw "Your Name" made 235M in Japan. Was like damn Japan sure does love anime/family films.

2 hours ago, Momo said:

Yeah, I saw "Your Name" made 235M in Japan. Was like damn Japan sure does love anime/family films.

That's a huuuuuge anomaly, it's the first non Miyazaki movie to breach the ¥10bn mark, let alone ¥20bn. Definitely deserves it though. 

Man,having to wait until July 15 to see if PR will make money in Japan going to be brutual for me. lol Any ways,what's the earlier word on how GOTG 2 will do in Japan this weekend?

13 minutes ago, Momo said:

Man,having to wait until July 15 to see if PR will make money in Japan going to be brutual for me. lol Any ways,what's the earlier word on how GOTG 2 will do in Japan this weekend?

It will probably do quite poorly since Marvel is not a huge brand in Japan. The first film made only $9.5 million in Japan under better exchange rates. Look for an opening weekend around $2 million or so.

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It will probably do quite poorly since Marvel is not a huge brand in Japan. The first film made only $9.5 million in Japan under better exchange rates. Look for an opening weekend around $2 million or so.

Ouch that bites

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

But AOU, CACW, and DS did very well with $26 million, $24 Million, and $16 Million.

2 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

But AOU, CACW, and DS did very well with $26 million, $24 Million, and $16 Million.

Those are decent but not great numbers for Japan considering the strength of Marvel (especially Avengers) in other countries. A film has to do roughly over $50 million to be considered blockbuster status in Japan. In any case, the Avengers are much more popular than the Guardians of the Galaxy as a group. 

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Those are decent but not great numbers for Japan considering the strength of Marvel (especially Avengers) in other countries. A film has to do roughly over $50 million to be considered blockbuster status in Japan. In any case, the Avengers are much more popular than the Guardians of the Galaxy as a group. 

Well from what various sources and people including Corpse despite them not being blockbuster numbers, the only superhero, and also Marvel one to do blockbuster numbers were the Spider-Man films.

11 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

those number were not very well, but so-so, after you've realise that frozen made $249m, SW7 made $95m, avatar $172m and titanic $206m, even la-la land made more than $35m

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Japan had never been big about CBMs, so there's that. Power Rangers will probably do GITS number, around $15 million max.

Little early to make a PR prediction. It's not coming out intill July. Plus although you could be right. It also possible Japan is the one market PR does have success in. Because of the whole Super Sentai thing. Plus, I believe Toei the distributor there for PR. They might be able to do better promoting PR then other OS markets have.

Edited by Momo

4 hours ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

Marvel brand seems to have been on a decline since Avengers, which did ¥3,525,443,179($45.1M) there

No other Marvel film has come close to it since then.

Japan managed to hold itself from the wave of superhero craze

6 hours ago, Momo said:

Little early to make a PR prediction. It's not coming out intill July. Plus although you could be right. It also possible Japan is the one market PR does have success in. Because of the whole Super Sentai thing. Plus, I believe Toei the distributor there for PR. They might be able to do better promoting PR then other OS markets have.

I liked PR (for what it is) but I think it'll be difficult for it to make a dent in the Japanese BO, saying as someone who's part Japanese. The young adult-ish drama of the movie isn't that relatable while the little action given isn't markedly more exciting than the usual tokusatsu fare. Happy to be wrong though.

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 1