Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

If Doraemon 38 continues to hold so well and if FB2 declines enough from FB1, then Doraemon has a slight chance to take first place from HP with its 2019 movie. If it doesn't in 2019 it will be on top by 2020 at the latest, albeit not for very long if FB3 comes out in November 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

If Doraemon 38 continues to hold so well and if FB2 declines enough from FB1, then Doraemon has a slight chance to take first place from HP with its 2019 movie. If it doesn't in 2019 it will be on top by 2020 at the latest, albeit not for very long if FB3 comes out in November 2020.

38?  Wow  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

Does anything has even a chance to unseat HP from the top place in the near future, especially with a FB movie coming out every two years (and the first one being so well received)? I was thinking SW, but the gap is too big and the spin-offs performed rather poorly compared to the main saga. Maybe Doraemon, if it keeps increasing and there's one movie coming out every year?  

Well, if Frozen happens to be a trilogy, it could climb very high in that list. Frozen made ¥25.48 billion ($249.6M). Who knows where a Frozen saga of 3 or 4 movies could end up in Japan. $1B?

By the way, Coco is releasing in Japan this weekend. Any news about the Frozen Olaf's short? Will it be shown before Coco?

Maybe Disney could even sell it separately in cinemas. And release the "not so short short" alone. It could even outgross Coco itself. LOL

Edited by meriodejaneiro

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

38?  Wow  

Yes. There's been a Doraemon movie every year since 1980 (except in 2005). Japan has quite a few franchises like that : a Crayon Shin-chan movie every year since 1993, a Detective Conan movie every year since 1997, a Pokemon movie every year since 1998.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Omni said:

Frozen's connection with The Snow Queen is very poor, and nobody went to see it because of that. If Frozen is not original then a lot of other movies aren't, including the Slop, which is clearly inspired by the first Toy Story.

Also, a re-release is perfectly fine (as long as a large part of the whole is taken by the original run), or we'll have to count SW7 as the 2nd WW grosser of all time, or to go just with the number of tickets sold.

In my opinion, an original film is a film that has not the advantage of being an adaptation of a well-known property (or even fact?), that is not a sequel, a remake or a reboot.

I guess all we can do is take into account anyone who admits they were influenced strongly by a certain story. James Cameron says he was influenced specifically by adventure novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard and more generally from "every single science fiction book" he had read in his childhood.

Disney also admits that Frozen was based on The Snow Queen. Illumination Entertainment does not admit that SLOP is ripf-off of Toy Story and apart from the general premise, there is not much else in common. One exception is probably The Lion King, which is a clear rip-off from Kimba, The White Lion.

6 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

By the way, Coco is releasing in Japan this weekend. Any news about the Frozen Olaf's short? Will it be shown before Coco?

Maybe Disney could even sell it separately in cinemas. And release the "not so short short" alone. It could even outgross Coco itself. LOL

Feedback from Corpse: (I've replied asking whether it will have any effect or not)

feasby007 wrote:
Corpse, do you know what the situation of the Olaf Short is in Japan? Since it was shown before Coco originally in the US, but was shown separately as its own thing in the UK (where it actually charted in the top 5 for the weekend! We sure love frozen!)

So will Japan have it in front of Coco, released on its own or just not released at all? (Which seems silly since the Japs love frozen)

I don't see anything regarding it at all. Short-films attached to full-length films are usually advertised as their own separate film, so I'm assuming it's not attached to Coco in Japan.

If anything, the short might be playing on TV this Friday or during Spring Break in a couple weeks. TV broadcasts of films is still significant in Japan (popular films still manage 10-20 million+ viewers), so there's plenty of advantages of broadcasting it instead.

EDIT: I found an article from yesterday advertising that Shinya Kanda and Takako Matsu will sing the songs featured in the Olaf short that will be screened before Coco (or Remember Me in Japan). "Olaf" isn't in the Japanese title of the short at all, it's called Anna and the Snow Queen: Family Memories. Frozen is called Anna and the Snow Queen in Japan, so I guess it makes sense -- the sisters, and their bond, are the attraction, not Olaf.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Feedback from Corpse: (I've replied asking whether it will have any effect or not)

feasby007 wrote:
Corpse, do you know what the situation of the Olaf Short is in Japan? Since it was shown before Coco originally in the US, but was shown separately as its own thing in the UK (where it actually charted in the top 5 for the weekend! We sure love frozen!)

So will Japan have it in front of Coco, released on its own or just not released at all? (Which seems silly since the Japs love frozen)

I don't see anything regarding it at all. Short-films attached to full-length films are usually advertised as their own separate film, so I'm assuming it's not attached to Coco in Japan.

If anything, the short might be playing on TV this Friday or during Spring Break in a couple weeks. TV broadcasts of films is still significant in Japan (popular films still manage 10-20 million+ viewers), so there's plenty of advantages of broadcasting it instead.

EDIT: I found an article from yesterday advertising that Shinya Kanda and Takako Matsu will sing the songs featured in the Olaf short that will be screened before Coco (or Remember Me in Japan). "Olaf" isn't in the Japanese title of the short at all, it's called Anna and the Snow Queen: Family Memories. Frozen is called Anna and the Snow Queen in Japan, so I guess it makes sense -- the sisters, and their bond, are the attraction, not Olaf.

So, Anna and the Snow Queen: Family Memories (aka Olaf short) will be attached to Coco in theaters in Japan. That might attract more people into theaters. I'm looking forward to Coco performance there. I think it can easily make some 70M. Wouldn't be surprised if it made around the 100M too (since the thematic could be of their taste), but i wish Coco breaks out in Japan to a Frozen's levels (200m+, i love dreaming big!). 

So Moana made an estimated ¥125m on its opening Friday before a ¥590m weekend. Coco looks to be on track for that ¥125m also, how it performs at the weekend is debatable though as fridays are much less significant than they are in the U.S.

58 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

The important factor here is the wom and the legs. Openings are not "impressive" in Japan. So, a normal opening like Sing of Moana doesn't mean it can have super legs and go beyond $100M at the end, right?

I think Coco should have better legs than Moana. Moana faced direct competition from Sing just one week after its release. As both were animated musicals, there was some cannibalization of audiences. Secondly, it was prevented from having a leggy run because Beauty and the Beast opened just 6 weeks after and dominated the market. It lost the majority of its screens and had to face yet another musical, an unfortunate effect of the scheduling that year. 

12 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So Moana made an estimated ¥125m on its opening Friday before a ¥590m weekend. Coco looks to be on track for that ¥125m also, how it performs at the weekend is debatable though as fridays are much less significant than they are in the U.S.

Moana opened on $5M we and went up to $46M total. I think Coco can easily double that total once wom starts rolling. The story is so powerful and spiritual (plus visually beautiful), japanese audience might adore it. 

80-100M is my safe bet on this. But my wish is a Frozen level, to 200M+

Edited by meriodejaneiro

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I think Coco should have better legs than Moana. Moana faced direct competition from Sing just one week after its release. As both were animated musicals, there was some cannibalization of audiences. Secondly, it was prevented from having a leggy run because Beauty and the Beast opened just 6 weeks after and dominated the market. It lost the majority of its screens and had to face yet another musical, an unfortunate effect of the scheduling that year. 

Jumanji 2 opens on Coco's 4th we. Will see how that affects to Coco's legs.