Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Any reasons why MP is underperforming in Japan of all places? I thought Disney's musical is their bread and butter. I know it's underperformed anywhere but UK but Japan is one market that doesn't always follow the WW trend.😐

Edited by KATCH-2D2

1 hour ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

Any reasons why MP is underperforming in Japan of all places? I thought Disney's musical is their bread and butter. I know it's underperformed anywhere but UK but Japan is one market that doesn't always follow the WW trend.😐

Japan is usually the biggest or at least second biggest OS market for musical films, so this is indeed very unlike the trend. Even Corpse was very surprised and had predicted a total between ¥3 billion to ¥5 billion before its opening. A cursory glance at some of the negative reviews from Japan seems to indicate a lack of interest in the mundane plot about the house foreclosure. Also quite a few comments about it lacking the charm and magic of the original Mary Poppins.

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

And a lot of people were predicting it to make much more in US and UK. Like $300M+ DOM and $100M+ UK...

That's true. It didn't live up to the hype anywhere. It's simply an okay performer and it's the worst blockbuster performance of December worldwide. It's going to make less than Spiderverse, Bumblebee and Aquaman. It's coming in 4th. That's a stunning position after all of the hype.

2 hours ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody could be the reason, A star is born, another music drama which should be doing well in Japan also flopped last month and couldn't even reach 15m

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's true. It didn't live up to the hype anywhere. It's simply an okay performer and it's the worst blockbuster performance of December worldwide. It's going to make less than Spiderverse, Bumblebee and Aquaman. It's coming in 4th. That's a stunning position after all of the hype.

Besides Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2, it feels every one of Disney's 2018 releases have underperformed WW. Solo and MPR being the biggest disappointments relative to expectations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody could be the reason, A star is born, another music drama which should be doing well in Japan also flopped last month and couldn't even reach 15m

It's true there is a lot of overlap in audiences. And according to Corpse, the vast majority of Japanese audiences only see 1-2 films per year in theaters. If so many people have already seen Bohemian Rhapsody, it could explain why there was no real demand to see other music-based films (at least not without a significant hook like phenomenal WOM or multiple award wins). 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Mary Poppins Returns basically under performed everywhere except the UK and America.

I would say it underperformed in North America too. It did very well in the UK, did well in Italy and had a solid run in Greece (better than Cinderella and close to Maleficent).

10 hours ago, LordNox said:

Are there any indications that Aquaman will do slightly better than other DC movies in Japan? Or does it look like it will make only 10M?

More, considering that it has done better than other DC movies by a large margin in almost all other Asian countries. I feel like it will make around 25 mil.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DMan7 said:

I asked it last week and I'll ask it again, is AQM ready for the Japanese party?

I doubt that party is even in place....The admission so far seem like to be on par with last week's marry poppin return.

But next monday is public holiday , an advantage for AQM