Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Corpse: 

(C)2018 Warner Bros. Ent. All Rights Reserved“ “TM & (C) DC Comics“

Weekend Forecast (02/09-10)
01 (---) ¥240,000,000 ($2.2 million), 0, ¥335,000,000 ($3.0 million), Aquaman (Warner Bros.) NEW
02 (---) ¥225,000,000 ($2.1 million), 0, ¥315,000,000 ($2.9 million), City Hunter (Aniplex) NEW
03 (01) ¥211,000,000 ($1.9 million), -37%, ¥925,000,000 ($8.5 million), The Seven Conferences (Toho) WK2
04 (02) ¥205,000,000 ($1.9 million), -35%, ¥3,150,000,000 ($28.8 million), Masquerade Hotel (Toho) WK4
05 (---) ¥200,000,000 ($1.8 million), 0, ¥200,000,000 ($1.8 million), Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Showgate) NEW
06 (---) ¥150,000,000 ($1.4 million), 0, ¥185,000,000 ($1.7 million), First Man (Toho-Towa) NEW
07 (04) ¥137,000,000 ($1.2 million), -31%, ¥11,325,000,000 ($101.5 million), Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox) WK14
08 (05) ¥115,000,000 ($1.1 million), -38%, ¥550,000,000 ($5.0 million), Mary Poppins Returns (Disney) WK2
09 (06) ¥112,000,000 ($1.0 million), -39%, ¥1,040,000,000 ($9.5 million), 12 Suicidal Teens (Warner Bros.) WK3
10 (03) ¥110,000,000 ($1.0 million), -45%, ¥575,000,000 ($5.2 million), Snow Flowers (Warner Bros.) WK2

Very interesting Top 10 this weekend. The #1 spot could realistically go to any of the Top 5 films. This is also a long three-day weekend (national holiday on Monday), so the inflated Sunday could paint an entirely different picture from Saturday's results. 

>Aquaman is... probably the favorite to win the weekend, though it did come in second place on Friday. Its weekend pre-sales are also just 11% higher than Justice League's, and 16% lower than Wonder Woman's. Both comparisons suggest a debut around ¥225 million. I'm expecting a slightly higher number than that due to a slight increase in ticket sales, but I doubt it reaches ¥250 million.

>City Hunter actually won Friday by a small margin, besting Aquaman, but its weekend pre-sales are a little below Aquaman's and I expect some degree of frontloading. I'd be a little surprised if it ends up opening at #1, but it's certainly possible. And being an Aniplex release, it's probably safe to assume it'll have a high average ticket price. 

>Then you have The Seven Conferences and Masquerade Hotel, the two holdovers that could spoil the chances of the openers debuting atop the box office. Both films are down more than expected in pre-sales versus last weekend, but holdovers tend to outperform pre-sale suggestions, so a 30% hold could be good enough for one of them to claim the #1 spot.

>And finally, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion is the biggest wild card and could surprise and debut at #1. Its pre-sales are well ahead of every other film, but it's barely playing wide (120 screens), so it's at a disadvantage there. However, this film is likely to have a very high average ticket price given its fanbase, so it wouldn't necessarily need match the others in ticket sales to actually claim the #1 position.

10 minutes ago, tupek said:

I guess HTTYD 3, like the second will not be released here right.

Here's what Corpse had to say just recently.

It's still possible that How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World gets a release, it just won't be any time in the near future. It's listed as a TBD 2019 release, though. But remember that The Boss Baby itself was released in Japan a full year after its release in the U.S.

I don't see any domestic source with an actual release date. And while IMDb can be iffy with release dates sometimes, it's not listed there either.  

I'll see if Dean DeBlois will provide any information about it to me. He's been graciously responsive to me in the past, and he worked very hard to get the second film a theatrical release in Japan, but it ended up falling through, unfortunately. I'll share any info I find out.

The film is receiving excellent reviews so far, unsurprisingly given Dean's palpable passion for this series, so that'll help once again on the recognition front.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, katniss said:

Why? I thought Japan generally has much better multipliers than the US.  I remember Frozen had some crazy 20x multiplier from OW. 

Frozen had a 33x multiplier, but that is the #1 multiplier on record in Japan currently. Anything over 15x is considered a "phenomenon" in the market, and there is usually only one a year (if even that). The average multiplier in Japan (where the vast majority of films fall) is between 6-7x. For CBMs, it is usually lower.

Man of Steel: 3.6x

Batman vs Superman: 5.0x

Suicide Squad: 4.5x

Wonder Woman: 5.0x

Justice League: 5.4x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Frozen had a 33x multiplier, but that is the #1 multiplier on record in Japan currently. Anything over 15x is considered a "phenomenon" in the market, and there is usually only one a year (if even that). The average multiplier in Japan (where the vast majority of films fall) is between 6-7x. For CBMs, it is usually lower.

Man of Steel: 3.6x

Batman vs Superman: 5.0x

Suicide Squad: 4.5x

Wonder Woman: 5.0x

Justice League: 5.4x

So 4.5-5.5x for 13.5-16.5 looks likely for AQM. 

14 minutes ago, a2k said:

So 4.5-5.5x for 13.5-16.5 looks likely for AQM. 

All those multipliers were off the 2-day opening numbers (Sat+Sun). $10-12 million would be the average range expected for Aquaman unless it deviates from the trend. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

The movie made 3.7 mil this weekend in Japan, way off from the 2.2 mil prediction. Smelling a break out here:

That's counting Friday. (2.2 was for the Japanese weekend that is 2 day SS) It still overperformed a bit. 

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

At the end is 3.7M. Don't care if is a 2day or 3day weekend.

I don’t think anyone was trying to downplay the numbers, they’re just trying to explain to people who don’t frequent this part of the forums a lot (like me).

What do some of the experts in here think Aquaman can finish with now after this opening weekend? 10-15mil total? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LordNox said:

How does Aquaman opening weekend compare with Venom's opening weekend in Japan? Venom grossed 19M so if Aquaman had a comparable opening that means that around 19M should be the highest possible number for Aquaman to earn in Japan. 

On mojo it says venom opened to 3.8m in Japan but I don’t know what that covers.

Mojo also said JL opened to 1.8m but on twitter erc said Aquaman opened to about the same as JL so it’s really hard to distinguish what’s right and what isn’t.

• Like 1