Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, Stewart said:

For a stable and heavily developed market like Japan that despises most CBM, 50m would be fantastic. 

Not for CBMs. Europe is pretty stable. Iykwim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmation from Corpse, ¥1b OW is happening:

 

It's going to be big. As long as it doesn't burn off too much demand on Friday, it could reach ¥1 billion over the weekend frame. And as you probably know, the only superhero films to open above that mark (or even come close) is the original Spider-Man trilogy.

If you're comparing their Fridays, though, Endgame will be much bigger than Detective Conan on that same day. Live-action films, especially big Hollywood imports, play very well on the weekdays. Detective Conan plays fine on weekdays (which includes Fridays) compared to most other animated films, but it's still a weekend-friendly series. 

Endgame is also playing on a large variety of screens due to its various premium format showings, dub and sub screenings, etc., so a large number of them are either average sized auditoriums or smaller, which sellout much faster naturally, to accommodate all the different types of showings.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Confirmation from Corpse, ¥1b OW is happening:

 

It's going to be big. As long as it doesn't burn off too much demand on Friday, it could reach ¥1 billion over the weekend frame. And as you probably know, the only superhero films to open above that mark (or even come close) is the original Spider-Man trilogy.

If you're comparing their Fridays, though, Endgame will be much bigger than Detective Conan on that same day. Live-action films, especially big Hollywood imports, play very well on the weekdays. Detective Conan plays fine on weekdays (which includes Fridays) compared to most other animated films, but it's still a weekend-friendly series. 

Endgame is also playing on a large variety of screens due to its various premium format showings, dub and sub screenings, etc., so a large number of them are either average sized auditoriums or smaller, which sellout much faster naturally, to accommodate all the different types of showings.

 

By comparison, Infinity War made about 680m, but the number on BOM is nearly $9.1m which doesn't translate from 680m so I'm not sure what number they're using. 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_infinity_war/avengers-infinity-war-has-been-beaten-at-the-japanese-box-office-by-detective-conan-a160248

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VenomXXR said:

 

By comparison, Infinity War made about 680m, but the number on BOM is nearly $9.1m which doesn't translate from 680m so I'm not sure what number they're using. 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_infinity_war/avengers-infinity-war-has-been-beaten-at-the-japanese-box-office-by-detective-conan-a160248

BOM also added the Friday whilst 680m is only sat + sun (the weekend in japan)

  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

 

By comparison, Infinity War made about 680m, but the number on BOM is nearly $9.1m which doesn't translate from 680m so I'm not sure what number they're using. 

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_infinity_war/avengers-infinity-war-has-been-beaten-at-the-japanese-box-office-by-detective-conan-a160248

2/3 day weekend difference.

 

Actual weekends are defined as 2-day, but many open on Friday's.

 

Here was OW for IW:

 

Weekend Actuals (04/28-29)
01 (---) ¥672,404,000 ($6.2 million), 0, ¥980,000,000 ($9.1 million), Avengers: Infinity War (Disney) NEW
02 (01) ¥605,955,800 ($5.6 million), -26%, ¥4,361,431,200 ($40.1 million), Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (Toho) WK3
03 (02) ¥240,380,300 ($2.2 million), -35%, ¥1,053,836,000 ($9.6 million), Ready Player One (Warner Bros.) WK2
04 (03) ¥168,220,800 ($1.5 million), -15%, ¥880,935,200 ($8.2 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Kung-Fu Boys Ramen Rebellion (Toho) WK3
05 (04) ¥96,142,200 ($883,000), -28%, ¥4,394,408,600 ($41.2 million), Coco (Disney) WK7
06 (05) ¥79,501,800 ($729,000), -36%, ¥348,434,800 ($3.2 million), Inuyashiki (Toho) WK2
07 (---) ¥78,346,000 ($719,000), 0, ¥113,649,200 ($1.0 million), My Little Monster (Toho) NEW
08 (---) ¥64,400,000 ($591,000), 0, ¥83,985,300 ($771,000), Marmalade Boy (Warner Bros.) NEW
09 (07) ¥56,758,600 ($521,000), -32%, ¥3,126,843,900 ($29.2 million), The Boss Baby (Toho-Towa) WK6
10 (09) ¥42,979,000 ($395,000), -25%, ¥4,827,163,800 ($45.2 million), The Greatest Showman (Fox) WK11

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Stewart said:

1b OW is happening

Well we already knew that, Corpse is late to the party.   

 

Spoiler

Yes, yes, I know. Wasn’t IW ¥990M though? Anything under ¥1.15B would be kind of a bummer, relatively.  

 

Ahh, right, 2 day vs 3-day. Nvm, that’s GREAT.

 

Edited by Thanos Legion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well we already knew that, Corpse is late to the party.   

 

  Hide contents

Yes, yes, I know. Wasn’t IW ¥990M though? Anything under ¥1.15B would be kind of a bummer, relatively.

 

I think it means 1b for 2 day weekend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well we already knew that, Corpse is late to the party.   

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Friday possibly biggest day too, so maybe ¥1.6b 3-day, almost double IW. Around $15m

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Stewart said:

2/3 day weekend difference.

 

Actual weekends are defined as 2-day, but many open on Friday's.

 

Here was OW for IW:

 

Weekend Actuals (04/28-29)
01 (---) ¥672,404,000 ($6.2 million), 0, ¥980,000,000 ($9.1 million), Avengers: Infinity War (Disney) NEW
02 (01) ¥605,955,800 ($5.6 million), -26%, ¥4,361,431,200 ($40.1 million), Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (Toho) WK3
03 (02) ¥240,380,300 ($2.2 million), -35%, ¥1,053,836,000 ($9.6 million), Ready Player One (Warner Bros.) WK2
04 (03) ¥168,220,800 ($1.5 million), -15%, ¥880,935,200 ($8.2 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Kung-Fu Boys Ramen Rebellion (Toho) WK3
05 (04) ¥96,142,200 ($883,000), -28%, ¥4,394,408,600 ($41.2 million), Coco (Disney) WK7
06 (05) ¥79,501,800 ($729,000), -36%, ¥348,434,800 ($3.2 million), Inuyashiki (Toho) WK2
07 (---) ¥78,346,000 ($719,000), 0, ¥113,649,200 ($1.0 million), My Little Monster (Toho) NEW
08 (---) ¥64,400,000 ($591,000), 0, ¥83,985,300 ($771,000), Marmalade Boy (Warner Bros.) NEW
09 (07) ¥56,758,600 ($521,000), -32%, ¥3,126,843,900 ($29.2 million), The Boss Baby (Toho-Towa) WK6
10 (09) ¥42,979,000 ($395,000), -25%, ¥4,827,163,800 ($45.2 million), The Greatest Showman (Fox) WK11

 

Ahh cool. So the BOM number for Endgame (and the number the trades will report) is probably going to be between $12-13m, a very nice 35% bump. 

EDIT: Just saw your 1.6b number. I'll go with about 1.45b for now.

 

Edited by VenomXXR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

 

Ahh cool. So the BOM number for Endgame (and the number the trades will report) is probably going to be between $12-13m, a very nice 35% bump. 

EDIT: Just saw your 1.6b number. I'll go with about 1.45b for now.

 

I am particularly optimistic. EG OS has drugged me too much

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Last year's movie's first update (at around 9 am local time) had 12,824 admissions in 70% of Japanese theaters. We'll get AEG's frst update in an hour or so. 

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

9 am update : 31,335 admissions (up 144%). :o

 

It's done at 9 am what last year's movie did at noon on OD. 

 

10 am update 43,368 admissions (up 151%).

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like It's breaking out in Japan too? $50m total would be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cynosure said:

up 144%

The classic calling card of AEG 😎

 

Still, every little bit is a blessing. Merry Endgame to Japan, thanks for your $$$ and I hope the movie brings much joy.

 

HC: +2=10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday should be over 500M yen easily...

  • Astonished 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Olive said:

Friday should be over 500M yen easily...

75% of IW total opening 

  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

75% of IW total opening 

IW made 312M on Friday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Olive said:

IW made 312M on Friday

Oops I mean for weekend. It was 672.4 for the weekend right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Oops I mean for weekend. It was 672.4 for the weekend right?

Yeah, that was Sat+Sun

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.