Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Biggest Fifth Weekends/Five Week Totals (2001-)

¥1.069 billion, +10%, ¥10.52 billion - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
¥890.0 million, -06%, ¥13.26 billion - Spirited Away (2001)
¥889.1 million, -07%, ¥9.86 billion - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
¥888.9 million, +16%, ¥10.47 billion - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
¥862.5 million, -20%, ¥11.16 billion - Your Name. (2016) 
¥851.2 million, +13%, ¥9.94 billion - Ponyo (2008)
¥841.0 million, -01%, ¥9.28 billion - Frozen (2014)
¥834.5 million, +47%, ¥7.50 billion - Finding Nemo (2003)
¥782.5 million, +44%, ¥6.68 billion - The Last Samurai (2003)
¥756.6 million, -18%, ¥9.69 billion - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
¥721.0 million, -18%, ¥8.55 billion - Aladdin (2019) *Weekend Forecast*
¥526.7 million, -23%, ¥8.37 billion - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
¥520.8 million, -07%, ¥6.95 billion - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
¥518.4 million, +02%, ¥7.00 billion - Avatar (2009)
¥505.1 million, +02%, ¥4.39 billion - Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
¥504.1 million, +10%, ¥4.55 billion - Zootopia (2016)

¥500 million+
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jj99 said:

expecting a slightly larger drop for Aladdin this weekend based on SAT/SUN numbers. Maybe around 23%

Sill good tho

23% is from sunday to sunday.. I believe saturday was -17% drop so average we are looking at 20% drop weekend

22 minutes ago, Olive said:

TS4 and Pokemon anime next week, let's wait and see how it holds next weekend.

TS4 will not offer any competition but pokemon will be huge but not a direct competitor so they will be able to live together the only real competition comes around in august 7th and that is Lion king. Pokemon might even win on the opening weekend and keep no.1 spot but they will still be able to co-exist. Pokemon will force TS4 even more out of market as they target same audience

Edited by Geo1500
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

TS4 will not offer any competition but pokemon will be huge but not a direct competitor so they will be able to live together the only real competition comes around in august 7th and that is Lion king. Pokemon might even win on the opening weekend and keep no.1 spot but they will still be able to co-exist. Pokemon will force TS4 even more out of market as they target same audience

TS4 should easily win next weekend since Pixar films always have a wider audience than Pokemon. The Pokemon films target mostly young kids in Japan and usually only gross in the ¥3 billion range total. TS3 grossed ¥10.8 billion yen total, and I doubt TS4 will be that much lower (maybe 20-30% drop).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

TS4 should easily win next weekend since Pixar films always have a wider audience than Pokemon. The Pokemon films target mostly young kids in Japan and usually only gross in the ¥3 billion range total. TS3 grossed ¥10.8 billion yen total, and I doubt TS4 will be that much lower (maybe 20-30% drop).

Toy story is not as big as it use to be 10years ago in Asia generally. It didn't do much in markets such as SK, Taiwan, HK, China etc etc and Japan won't be much of a difference. I expect Pokemon to overperform due to MEWTWO being involved in this

Edited by Geo1500

Just now, Geo1500 said:

Toy story is not as big as it use to be 10years ago in Asia generally. It didn't do much in markets such as SK, Taiwan, HK, China etc etc and Japan won't be much of a difference

TS4 actually increased quite a bit from TS3 in all those markets (except Hong Kong, which hasn't opened yet), so that's not the best comparison. Not to mention Pixar has generally much better performances in Japan compared to the rest of Asia. I'm expecting a drop for TS4 in Japan based on how huge TS3 was, but it should still be a big success.

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

TS4 actually increased quite a bit from TS3 in all those markets (except Hong Kong, which hasn't opened yet), so that's not the best comparison. Not to mention Pixar has generally much better performances in Japan compared to the rest of Asia. I'm expecting a drop for TS4 in Japan based on how huge TS3 was, but it should still be a big success.

I didn't keep track of TS4 but the numbers were not good in these markets regardless of increase or decrease or equally as good as in LA. I am not expecting much of it in Japan to be clear

Edited by Geo1500

36 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Toy story is not as big as it use to be 10years ago in Asia generally. It didn't do much in markets such as SK, Taiwan, HK, China etc etc and Japan won't be much of a difference. I expect Pokemon to overperform due to MEWTWO being involved in this

25 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I didn't keep track of TS4 but the numbers were not good in these markets regardless of increase or decrease or equally as good as in LA. I am not expecting much of it in Japan to be clear

Dude, TS3 made 652M intl. ... what are you talking about???

You say numbers are not good, regardless of increase? Really? How an increase in a market is "not good number"?

TS3 It made 11M in HK, 126M in Japan, not sure if it even got released in China (where TS4 made 25M) ... TS3 might have benefited from good ER to reach those 652M intl. but you are talking as if TS4 will drop 50% to a mere 300M intl.

It's already at 343M intl. + 300M dom, about 650M ww after 2 and a half weeks. It will easily make 500M+ intl and 400M+ dom. And if it misses TS3 ww (1.067B) it's gonna be for less than 100M. So 1B still could be a target for TS4 ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo1500 said:

First of all, Pixar movies (especially Toy Story movies) usually don't do that great in the first place in most Asian countries, compared to LA and Europe. But TS4 still increased from TS3 in Asia, so how can you say Toy Story is not as popular now? Secondly, Pixar movies generally do better in Japan than the rest of Asia. You know that TS3 made ¥10.8b, right? That's about $100m with today's ER. So judging Toy Story's popularity and performance in Japan based on other Asian countries is just wrong. Thirdly, yes I think it will decrease in Japan to maybe $70m. But it is still huge! Waaaay more than whatever Pokemon is gonna make. So yeah, I don't really understand your argument.

Edited by catlover
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CalifoBoy said:

$130-150M for Aladdin? Are u guys serious? 😮

Geo is usually serious, but rarely to be taken seriously. Of course there is a small chance that it could level off despite July competition starting and hit 130.

Btw according to reported estimates:

Aladdin - $79.2m

FFH - $17.3m

Corpse's forecast on the totals for both movies are pretty spot on. Maybe he got the weekend numbers correct too, and Aladdin didn't drop as big as it seems?

• Like 1