Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

29 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

fastest $20mn ever? Japan is too good a country to not have a proper box office system

Man what are you referring to?

Japan's system works just fine.

It just has two day weekends (Saturday and Sunday) just due to tradition.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Man what are you referring to?

Japan's system works just fine.

It just has two day weekends (Saturday and Sunday) just due to tradition.

Not that.

I am talking about box office reporting. USA, China, Korea has daily box office reporting system. India has independent tracking services as well. But Japan and UK are two developed region with lack of daily box office numbers and database.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Not that.

I am talking about box office reporting. USA, China, Korea has daily box office reporting system. India has independent tracking services as well. But Japan and UK are two developed region with lack of daily box office numbers and database.

Well Japan makes up for that in that there's a blog where you can get hourly updates.

You have to rely on Corpse and his subscription to a trade magazine to get weekend actuals, though.

Pretty messed up, I guess.

Don't really know anything about the UK. Don't think you can freely access raw data for it like you can for Japan.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Not that.

That is so true. Been following Japan box office for years, and this is my main complain. No box office numbers reporting system whatsoever. We rely on people who either have access to the data, or make the system themselves (like corpse or that daily numbers blog owner).

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

what are the highest single day in territory?

By Mimorin

Congratulations on the successive highs of "Toy Story 4". 
This surpasses the 415451 recorded on 4/14 by "Detective Conan: The Fist of the Blue Sky". 

By the way, it is today's number which updated record, but acquisition omission has occurred in AEON system. 
Acquisition failure occurred in about 700 of the 4,200 times of today's screenings, of which less than 500, 
120 minutes before the acquisition value substitute substitution, less than 200 have been unreported. 
This influence is estimated to be about +8000 to +10000 in the toy story. 
Therefore, today's record is a reference value and I am sorry, but it seems to be 430000.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Any news on the weathering with you? 

The buzz seem muted, doesn't feel like it is doing 10b yen

Corpse mentioned at KJ that it is going to have a HUGE release and already has huge PS as well. it should easily win next weekend.

Toho is really, really pushing the film, probably more than any film that I've seen.

They reached a deal a couple weeks back with every theater chain it's going to play in next weekend to begin playing it simultaneously at 9AM beginning on Friday on their biggest screen at every single location.  And not just at their own theater chain, literally every theater chain.  Many of its launch showings are already near 50% capacity.

Also Corpse's perspective on Lion King is that it wont be in the ballpark of Aladdin. Let us see how things go

I'm mostly in agreement with Omni on this.  The Lion King shouldn't be in the same ballpark as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, or Alice in Wonderland.  Films starring animals (especially talking animals) generally don't perform as well.  That may seem strange, but there are many, many examples of them under-performing.

But, I don't think it'll perform as badly as The Jungle Book.  They do have similar release dates, though, but the The Lion King is a more relevant name/property, and its trailer has been attached to Aladdin and Toy Story 4.  Since Japan doesn't have a big movie-going population (the average person sees one or two films a year), having your trailer attached to two major films like this does benefit in this market.  Japan is a market all about exposure.[

2 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Yes ... 407,869 ...  Over $7 

Aladdin did well too ...  141,072 with $2.6 M ...

They both made more then that 

*1 444036 トイ・ストーリー4 (TS4)
*2 169956 ミュウツーの逆襲 EVOLU…
*3 153200 アラジン (Aladdin)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

but this website https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/ is showing less adm ...  

go little lower to get the real time numbers. The lowest box on the right side. You will find it there.

Btw do you know how long Marine holiday will last in Japan? It began on Monday? Will it be just one day type of thing or few days like 2-3 days? 

Edited by Geo1500

2 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

go little lower to get the real time numbers. The lowest box on the right side. You will find it there.

Btw do you know how long Marine holiday will last in Japan? It began on Monday? Will it be just one day type of thing or few days like 2-3 days? 

Only monday, but it will be summer weekday and mid august it has a full week of holidays (Obon weak) I thought.