Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

53 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm way less versed than you are, but I'd guess it depends on how the upcoming drops go. That's TASM2 second weekend:

If it manages to do hold better than TASM2 during weekdays and keeping the edge on its total like it seems to be doing now, I'd say it's completely feasible. 

You do realize that thanks to the holidays TASM2 made 6 millions on the following weekdays? And that it had zero competition during the whole month of May? And that it added less than 20M coming from a weekend that was 60% (!) higher than SMH's? Homecoming needs strong legs just to get to 30M, let alone mid 30's.

4 hours ago, Omni said:

You do realize that thanks to the holidays TASM2 made 6 millions on the following weekdays? And that it had zero competition during the whole month of May? And that it added less than 20M coming from a weekend that was 60% (!) higher than SMH's? Homecoming needs strong legs just to get to 30M, let alone mid 30's.

Like I've said, I'm no expert. But I'm curious to know what the total will look next week. 

8 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Reaching TASM's $39m? I agree, it's literally almost impossible. Now over $30m and getting to $34m? Feasible. 

Then why did you write 40 mill yesterday?

10 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Then why did you write 40 mill yesterday?

Because Corpse summary was wrong. It said that TASM / TASM2 was being outpaced by Homecoming. It's not true. It's probably a translation problem, because if it was outpacing TASM, it'd be aiming for $39m+ imo. It's outpacing TASM2 though, so depending how it goes against WW, it might be able to go a little bit further than TASM2. I'd say we need to see if it keeps holding above TASM2 next week, but so far, so good. 

• Like 1

How would anyone know how WW opened in Japan and how wom is going? It is 12:36 AM on 8/26, so it debuted less than one day ago. With that said, I hope that 3-4 million figure is correct. Would be awesome news for WW to add another 15-20 million to its gross. 822 million would take it over SM1 WW. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olive said:

Wonder Woman flops as expected.

OW around $3-4m, WOM is so-so

OW:

BvS               : 3,288,349

Suicide Squad: 3,800,457

Total:

BvS               WB $16,531,874
Suicide Squad WB $15,607,713

I would have thought pretty much everyone expected a 3 to 4m OW with a 14 to 18m Japan box office, even a giant intl affair like Civil War didn't do much higher with 4.2m / 24m total.

Does not seem like a flop or a specially good performance, but what non-Spiderman giant SH movie tend to do in Japan.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

OW:

BvS               : 3,288,349

Suicide Squad: 3,800,457

Total:

BvS               WB $16,531,874
Suicide Squad WB $15,607,713

I would have thought pretty much everyone expected a 3 to 4m OW with a 14 to 18m Japan box office, even a giant intl affair like Civil War didn't do much higher with 4.2m / 24m total.

Does not seem like a flop or a specially good performance, but what non-Spiderman giant SH movie tend to do in Japan.

Expectations increased after Scott Mendelson, official WW cheerleader, put out an article saying WW could perform more like princess movies in Japan and do something like 60-80 or even more than 100 million rather than behaving like a normal SH movie. Many people then on this forum ran with that and started hoping for a domestic style breakout in Japan too totally ignoring the fact that outside of DOM (where it had phenomenal legs) WW performed like a normal (but still great) SH movie without any unexpected breakouts. 

This is going to perform like any other SH movie in Japan which is not a bad thing whatsoever but yes people expecting 100m are going to be disappointed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Expectations increased after Scott Mendelson, official WW cheerleader, put out an article saying WW could perform more like princess movies in Japan and do something like 60-80 or even more than 100 million rather than behaving like a normal SH movie. Many people then on this forum ran with that and started hoping for a domestic style breakout in Japan too totally ignoring the fact that outside of DOM (where it had phenomenal legs) WW performed like a normal (but still great) SH movie without any unexpected breakouts. 

This is going to perform like any other SH movie in Japan which is not a bad thing whatsoever but yes people expecting 100m are going to be disappointed

Scott Mendelson put out an article predicting that Spider-Man Homecoming would struggle to match ASM1 domestically, like a week and a half before the film hit that mark. He then double downed in a follow up article, saying that while Homecoming passed ASM1 domestically, it was a toss up whether it would pass the adjusted total (a bit under $300M). Homecoming will probably hit $330M. It was clear that it was going to break $300M when he wrote his first article. 

$14-15M in Japan will put Winder Woman over Spider-Man 1's worldwide total.  That's the only goal left that really matters. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Like you said it opened quite below Suicide Squad in almost all markets outside domestic, not sure why expect something different in Japan.

Wonder woman opening weekend % of suicide squad opening weekend by market (If Box office mojo is correct):

Market WW/SS
Lithuania 23%
Finland 25%
Slovenia 29%
Ukraine 32%
Russia - CIS 34%
Poland 35%
Czech Republic 37%
Slovakia 38%
Turkey 40%
Germany 40%
Portugal 41%
South Africa 41%
Bulgaria 45%
Argentina 47%
Hungary 47%
Australia 48%
Romania 49%
Norway 53%
United Kingdom 54%
Netherlands 56%
Italy 57%
France 58%
New Zealand 61%
Brazil 63%
United Arab Emirates 69%
Iceland 70%
Spain 73%
Mexico 79%
South Korea 105%
Thailand 120%

Average: 52%

Of course WW legs are much much better, (SS finished with 405m oversea minus china and Japan, WW is already at 306 and still going)

Expecting WW opening somewhere to be over SS (would be 3.8m in Japan) is already predicting a lot and rare exception.  No american live action achieved 80m in Japan since Force Awaken, 100m was not achieved since 2011.

Someone can say it could (of course it could) but that not predicting it will or even saying that it is 20% chance likely to happen.

3 hours ago, kswiston said:

Scott Mendelson put out an article predicting that Spider-Man Homecoming would struggle to match ASM1 domestically, like a week and a half before the film hit that mark. He then double downed in a follow up article, saying that while Homecoming passed ASM1 domestically, it was a toss up whether it would pass the adjusted total (a bit under $300M). Homecoming will probably hit $330M. It was clear that it was going to break $300M when he wrote his first article. 

$14-15M in Japan will put Winder Woman over Spider-Man 1's worldwide total.  That's the only goal left that really matters. 

You'd think being a news outlet dedicated to business and finance that Forbes would have better people discussing B.O.  But I gather they don't want to pay for someone in addition to the guys on the movie/SH beat.

The continued WW comparisons to SMI baffle me.  I know Tele made a club with a Dom comparison (congrats though shocked he was right - blind squirrel and all)  but the movie came out FIFTEEN years ago.  There's no comparison in terms of impact or admissions, domestic or international (and that was well before O/S even exploded).

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The continued WW comparisons to SMI baffle me.  I know Tele made a club with a Dom comparison (congrats though shocked he was right - blind squirrel and all)  but the movie came out FIFTEEN years ago.  There's no comparison in terms of impact and admissions, domestic or international (and that was well before O/S even exploded)

Just comparison of numbers. On a box office forum that always happen. Everybody knows your last sentence. Don't know what you are trying to point out.

• Haha 1