Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

You'd think being a news outlet dedicated to business and finance that Forbes would have better people discussing B.O.  But I gather they don't want to pay for someone in addition to the guys on the movie/SH beat.

The continued WW comparisons to SMI baffle me.  I know Tele made a club with a Dom comparison (congrats though shocked he was right - blind squirrel and all)  but the movie came out FIFTEEN years ago.  There's no comparison in terms of impact or admissions, domestic or international (and that was well before O/S even exploded).

It's still a new record for a first superhero film worldwide (even if that record is of no real importance). If us nerds aren't going to keep track of all of these box office records, who will? :P

Edited by kswiston
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Just comparison of numbers. On a box office forum that always happen. Everybody knows your last sentence. Don't know what you are trying to point out.

It's pretty self explanatory.  I'm baffled by a meaningless comparison that keeps getting repeated.  How is this a milestone or a goal to note let alone even get excited about?   X-men Apoc passed Superman '78 unadjusted - and so what?

Edited by TalismanRing

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's pretty self explanatory.  I'm baffled by a meaningless comparison that keeps getting repeated.  How is this a milestone or a goal to note let alone even get excited about?   X-men Apoc passed Superman '78 unadjusted - and so what?

Well, I don't think superman was biggest anything when apoc was released. Like avengers was compared to titanic 'cos that was a very big goal and not to daredevil 'cos that's not a significant goal. This year and previous year rogue one  and batb were compared to TDK although it was released in 2008 with no 3d. TDK is still among top 5 so, a significant goal while superman is in no list.

George you cannot just use the fact that people used goal to make them significant (that is a bit of an circular argument, people are doing it with SM1 and WW to start with).

Talisman, a lot of it is not about significant it is just about the number/being in the top X, a bit like talking about round number milestone, obviously they have no real significant and would have been different with a different exchange rate that day.

That's what I was trying to say barnack. Ofcourse we make those goals, but what goal will get more discussion. WW compared to Iron man will be more interesting for bot than superman. Talisman said why are we comparing, well this is a box office forum so, we chose the biggest origin solo superhero movie. Movies get repeatedly get compared to titanic 'cos it's still a rare number and people will celebrate when a film cross it. I don't know why she pointed out this specific example.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

You'd think being a news outlet dedicated to business and finance that Forbes would have better people discussing B.O.  But I gather they don't want to pay for someone in addition to the guys on the movie/SH beat.

The continued WW comparisons to SMI baffle me.  I know Tele made a club with a Dom comparison (congrats though shocked he was right - blind squirrel and all)  but the movie came out FIFTEEN years ago.  There's no comparison in terms of impact or admissions, domestic or international (and that was well before O/S even exploded).

Spider Man is from 2002, it's not that we're talking about an 70's movie .... and it had much better exchange rates in 2002, and Spider Man's budget (2002) is pretty much the same as the Wonder Woman (2017) movie.

Edited by bruchav

35 minutes ago, bruchav said:

Spider Man is from 2002, it's not that we're talking about an 80's movie .... and it had much better exchange rates, and Spider Man's budget (2002) is pretty much the same as the Wonder Woman (2017) movie.

Global box office:

2002: 19.8 b

2016: 38.6 b

SM1 WW bo in 2017 US dollar: $1,118,077,913.90

(not ticket inflation/market inflation, simply using the same variable has the $ when talking about Spider man in 2017, using $ from 2 different year is a bit like comparing a movie in Euro and an other in US dollar without transferring them to a similar value, it make no sense)

2017 unadjusted global box office will be almost the double of 2002, it is just less obvious than an 80s movie how the comparison are using different environment but it was still a vastly different environment, we would need to check but I would imagine SM1 WW performance was close to say what Age of Ultron did in is year.

Would not surprise if you are right about Spider man budget (spider man 3 had an almost 300m net budget only 5 year later)

But in 2002 (and specially 2003), theatrical was a smaller % of the industry than today, it was less than 30% back then (and less than that for studio revenue), they were sometime paying 100% of their big budget movie from the TV revenues, the first TV run revenues:

total-film-revenues-20111.png

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, bruchav said:

Spider Man is from 2002, it's not that we're talking about an 70's movie .... and it had much better exchange rates in 2002, and Spider Man's budget (2002) is pretty much the same as the Wonder Woman (2017) movie.

That's not how it works. For example, valerian's popular comparison was with fifth element, despite having nothing in same other than director. 

3 hours ago, bruchav said:

There's been 15 years of inflation as well as monstrously expanded markets in Asia and parts of Latin America.  Russia wasn't even a big market then and China wasn't even in play.

SM1 adjusts to $617m domestic (without 3D and the amount of PLF screens)) and it made more O/S than domestic.  

Their runs are not comparable.

Edit: what  @Barnack  said.

FYI: SM1 budget is listed at $139m.  SM2 had bigger action and more expensive VFX but another bigger expense was the rise was in salaries and Director's fee.

Edited by TalismanRing

Corpse

Weekend Forecast (08/26-27)
01 (---) ¥375,000,000 ($3.4 million), 0, ¥375,000,000 ($3.4 million), Sekigahara (Toho) NEW
02 (---) ¥350,000,000 ($3.2 million), 0, ¥475,000,000 ($4.3 million), Wonder Woman (Warner Bros.) NEW
03 (03) ¥226,000,000 ($2.1 million), -18%, ¥6,200,000,000 ($56.4 million), Despicable Me 3 (Toho-Towa) WK6
04 (02) ¥177,000,000 ($1.6 million), -40%, ¥925,000,000 ($8.4 million), Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? (Toho) WK2
05 (04) ¥158,000,000 ($1.4 million), -38%, ¥2,300,000,000 ($20.9 million), Spider-Man: Homecoming (Sony) WK3
06 (05) ¥126,000,000 ($1.1 million), -23%, ¥2,550,000,000 ($23.2 million), I Want To Eat Your Pancreas (Toho) WK5
07 (01) ¥106,000,000 ($960,000), -70%, ¥750,000,000 ($6.8 million), High & Low 2: End of Sky (Shochiku) WK2
08 (07) ¥72,000,000 ($650,000), -28%, ¥3,175,000,000 ($29.0 million), Pokemon: I Choose You! (Toho) WK7
09 (06) ¥57,000,000 ($520,000), -45%, ¥1,625,000,000 ($14.8 million), Transformers: The Last Knight (Toho-Towa) WK4
10 (08) ¥53,000,000 ($480,000), -36%, ¥3,625,000,000 ($33.6 million), Gintama (Warner Bros.) WK7

Below (Notable Holdovers):
¥49,000,000 ($450,000), -32%, ¥3,010,000,000 ($27.5 million), Mary and the Witch's Flower (Toho) WK8
¥36,000,000 ($330,000), -44%, ¥6,575,000,000 ($59.0 million), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Disney) WK9

It's going to be a close battle this weekend between Sekigahara and Wonder Woman. I'm expecting the former to probably come out on top in terms of admissions, but the latter's higher avg. ticket price could be enough to earn it the top spot in terms of revenue.

Sekigahara is the latest film from director Masato Harada, adapted from the novel by Ryotaro Shiba. The story tells the tale of the decisive Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, which marked the end of the Sengoku Era and later established the Edo period (1603-1868) under the rule of the Tokugawa shogunate.

And you all know about Wonder Woman already. Compared to other recent DC films its pre-sales and morning/afternoon ticket sales are slightly behind, ~5-10%, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad, so it'll likely post a similar debut.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

This is going to perform like any other SH movie in Japan which is not a bad thing whatsoever but yes people expecting 100m are going to be disappointed

Naah, WW fans are good. I mean, a breakout in Japan would still be ridiculously awesome but at this point it's like complaining about not getting sprinkles with the icing and having to do with plain ole icing. :D 

15 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

:therethere: 

On 25/8/2017 at 2:48 PM, ZeeSoh said:

ExpectaMany people then on this forum ran with that and started hoping for a domestic style breakout in Japan too totally ignoring the fact that outside of DOM (where it had phenomenal legs) WW performed like a normal (but still great) SH movie without any unexpected breakouts. 

Not true, Wonder Woman currently performed very well and above average  superhero movie in Latin America, where it is even the biggest solo superhero movie of all time in the biggest Latin American market (Brazil), and also Was very well in Asia and above the average solo superhero movie here, with the exception of Marvel dominating markets such as South Korea, and China where it  performed like a  average (sucessful) solo superhero film, and also had a average performance in Europe (like 99% Of superhero movies currently).

So bad that the exchange rates were awful when Wonder Woman debuted here and she made US$34m here, with exchange rates like Iron man 3 had in 2013, Wonder Woman had made US$54m in Brazil, im hoping  that exchange rates will Improve until Wonder Woman 2 debuts  in 2019, if exchange rates get better, Wonder Woman 2 can easily make US$50m in Brazil.

In any case, it remains the biggest solo superhero movie of all time in Brazil (in local currency).

brasil-bandeira-do-brasil-bandeira-do-br

Edited by bruchav
  • Like 3

On 25/08/2017 at 11:26 PM, Mojoguy said:

05 (04) ¥158,000,000 ($1.4 million), -38%, ¥2,300,000,000 ($20.9 million), Spider-Man: Homecoming (Sony) WK3

If Corpse's weekend forecast holds, that is going to be the first weekend that Homecoming will lag behind TASM2. TASM2 did $1.77 on its third weekend and was at $22.3m at time. It might have an uphill battle to get to $30m from Japan indeed. 

Additionally, Wonder Woman topped $400 million internationally this weekend, fueled by an estimated $3.4 million three-day opening in Japan bringing the film's worldwide cume to $806.2 million placing it 64th all-time.

Seems pretty frontloaded, $12-15M total likely.

SMH dropped more than half.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

動員2位『怪盗グルーのミニオン大脱走』は土日の動員18万7728人、興収2億3103万300円。8/27までの38日間累計で動員529万5359人、興収62億284万3700円となっています。このペースでいくと70億円台もありますね

DM3 WEEKEND: 231m YEN,6.23b YEN to date, and 7B yen is well within reach.

That would be better than Dory.

• Like 3

動員3位『ワンダーウーマン』は全国596スクリーンで土日の動員18万2092人、興収2億6651万2000円。金曜初日含む3日間累計で動員25万7266人、興収3億7024万5700円となっています

WW OW

2-day 182k adm, 266.5M yen

3-day 257k, 370M

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Olive said:

Additionally, Wonder Woman topped $400 million internationally this weekend, fueled by an estimated $3.4 million three-day opening in Japan bringing the film's worldwide cume to $806.2 million placing it 64th all-time.

Seems pretty frontloaded, $12-15M total likely.

SMH dropped more than half.

10M+ for WW was what I was expecting....if anything greater that will be a plus. :-)